PDA

View Full Version : No power from battery 1

Mattercraft
08-04-2004, 09:23 PM
I was towing a friend when the gauges started jumping all over the place. Then she went dead. I switched to battery #2 and she ran fine. When I got back to camp I checked out the batteries to find water in batt. 1 compartment. I dried out the compartment, but the #1 won't work. I mean nothing. It tested 12 volts with my voltometer. Is there a fuse or breaker I could check, or did the water fry the battery switch?

By the way, the boat is a 2001 X-Star.

thanks, matt

OhioProstar
08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Try elimating possible failure points by moving the battery to the #2 position. If it works it isn't the battery and then I would check the switch (Perko/BlueSea?) for any obvious problems like a blacken color around the #1 terminals. Report back

Mattercraft
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
I switched the positive cables and everything worked fine. Must have been a loose connection. Switched them back and checked under the Perko switch. The terminals look good, but there was an orange discolor in the carpet. What is this and how do I stop it?

OhioProstar
08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Might be rust? You can use Liquid Electrical tape on the exposed metal of the terminals and connectors.

JimN
08-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Do you have the battery switch mounted on the floor or on a vertical panel that gets a lot of splashing? You can use liquid electrical tape, but it should be mounted in a drier location. You can also use silicone to seal the terminals, just leave the switch unmounted till it sets.