PDA

View Full Version : bringing '89 prostar out of storage

red89prostar
06-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok. Got an '89 prostar, has seen very little use the last couple of years. Getting ready to pull her out of storage and get her ready for a houseboat trip.

A few questions. I am not a mechanic, but to keep costs down will have to tackle this stuff on my own.

The carb is shot, but I just read a thread that I think has me going in the right direction. Is it true that a new carb can bolt right on a run correclty straight out of the box?

Tune up: (Points, plugs, wires, rotor, Cap, capacitor) Is there a good online source for a whole kit? Can the points, rotor, etc just be installed or is there some kind of adjustment/settings that need to be done.

Oil change. No problem.

Heater core is leaking. Planning to loop the hoses and bypass heater.

Gas gauge does not work. Is there an online source for rebuild/replacment parts.

Trailer wheel bearings/break buddy? What do I need to do to check the bearings and lube them up?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We haven't skied much in the past few years and the kids are getting kind of excited. I hope I can get this thing up and running soon.

Hoosier Bob
06-25-2007, 11:29 PM
WWW.SKIDIM.COM! Get rid of the heater or buy a new core. No a carb cannot be bolted on and run perfectly but you should be close, idle circuit. Ski Dim should have your fuel sender. SKI!

red89prostar
06-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Just got off the phone with a mobile mechanic. Says he rebuilds the Holly carbs all the time. Comes to the house, does a tune up, rebuilds the carb, check the trailer breaks, bearings, lights. Water pump, battery, drains the fuel, filters, etc. Packs the drive shaft, lubes the steering,

Probably going to be $400-$600 for all, depending on parts needed.

Might be the way to go for me, if they guy is good.

east tx skier
06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Skidim has a carb for the 351W that will bolt right on. The only adjustment I ever made to mine was the idle. That said, do the rebuild as you already have that carb.

Sounds like you've got the rest covered.

G-man
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
where are you located? Someone else may want your mechanic information if you get good service.

03 35th Anniversary
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
While your checking everything don't forget to check your impeller, since the boat has been sitting for couple of years.

Hunterb
06-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Congratulations on the boat!! If you're a skier you will love it.

Here are my recommendations.

1) Rebuild the carb. It's quite simple to do. Here's a step by step.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/index.php

2) Take the money you saved and purchase an electronic ignition kit and 12 volt coil. You will not regret it.

3) The only recourse for the heater is to buy a new one.

4) You can purchase a new generic sending unit for your fuel guage at any marine supply place.

5) The trailer bearings are like any other wheel bearings. Take them out, inspect them, clean them and then repack them and install.

Good luck with the boat !!! If you only do one of the above, get the electronic ignition.

Bruce

red89prostar
06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
The boat is not new to me. I was one of the original owners, just haven't used it much in the last few years. Thinking of retaking control of it...we will see how this trip goes.

After this guy services the boat, I will post how it went. I am in OC, So Cal. There are probably tons of owners around here.

The impeller is a must, something we did almost every year just to be safe. In talking to this guy, sounds like he has a typical annual routine/check list that seemed pretty complete, including servicing the trailer lights, bearings and brakes...hopefully his service is good.

I will ask him about the electronic ignition...I did that on an old VW I have and it definatley makes things easier.

I am going to try to get the boat from storage and have him service it the week afte next, I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again for the replies. (maybe I will re-catch the ski bug)

redmike
06-26-2007, 10:23 PM
hey 89, I have an 88PS, do all of my maintenance, and am temporarily down the road in SD for work. If the mechanic will do all of that fo 400, good deal, as far as the gas gauge, got mine from skidim like everyone else said, changed it myself, not too hard. Hope all goes well, if ya need a hand, let me know, could pop on over one weekend if ya want...