PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Transmission Issues

MatthewTroyer
06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
I have a 1999 X-Star (V-Drive) that recently developed a condition where there is a pinkish fluid near the in-cockpit drain plug. The dealer says it is likely a leaking transmission seal. Any ideas about the source of this (poor winterization?) or cost to repair would be helpful. The dealer is quoting $3500 - $5000, which seems outrageous.

Thanks!

deployedjosh
06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem. I've got the same boat and I had heard that the design with the tranny seal was poorly thought out. Something to do with the fact that if you had water in the bilge, the tranny when it heated up or cooled down, would suck in water. Either way, it sounds like a bad deal. It might be worth draining and flushing out the tranny a couple times, then refilling with fresh fluids. I wouldn't think that doing that would run more than a hundred bucks or so, and now that I think of it, I believe most tranny places have the vacuum deal thingies (very technical, huh) that can do it all very quickly. Sorry I'm not more help, but I'd really like to hear how this all turns out...

deployedjosh
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
One other thing, it might be worth checking out the tranny cooler lines. Mine leak a tiny bit, just enough to coat the underside of the lines with a bit of fluid.

MatthewTroyer
06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've now talked to 2 mechanics who basically concurred with the 'poor tranny seal - bilge - rust theory'

Dealer has the boat now and thinks there is a possibility it is not major (maybe like your second post). I'll post again when he calls me back.

beatle78
06-26-2007, 01:25 PM
how do they know the cost to repair if they don't know the problem?

MYMC or Erk or Jim@BAWS may be able to help tell you what a reasonable repair cost is once you find out what the problem is.

That said DO NOT run your boat unti you've checked/changed the tranny fluid. Take out the dipstick, if it's pink it has water in it and you can destroy your tranny. You need to drain and replace your tranny fluid.

Now, it's my understanding that the only way for water to get into the tranny (if it's the seal is if there is a decent amount of water in the bilge). How often do you have several inches or more of water in your bilge?

Another area where water could get into the tranny is if the tranny cooler let go. The tranny cooler is the piece of hardware that is is inline with one of your engines water hoses. There will be 2 tranny lines coming out of the tranny cooler going to the tranny.

hope this helps. Keep us posted (I have a 2001 Prostar 205V, basically the same boat as yours.)

MatthewTroyer
06-26-2007, 11:10 PM
All of this is way to technical for me. I've had 2 separate guys tell me they think it is likely a leaky seal in the tranny.

Every time out, I take the drain plug out of the boat and drain that compartment. I rarely have more than about 1/2" of water in the bilge area. The transmission fluid (according to the dealer) looked good.

He's going to have someone there look at it in the next day or so and give me a more definitive reaction. Cross your fingers and hope it's something more minor.

etakk7
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I know somebody with a 2003 205V who just had a new tranny seal done. It was roughly $1100.

Him doing the job got me to researching the issue. When MC does the work on warranty, it is officially an 8.5 hour job. So at roughly $100+ per hour, it should be around $1k. The price you have been quoted is outrageous, plain and simple. If they aren't experienced with MC, they could take much longer to do the job, you may want to find a MC dealer.

etakk7
06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
You should be running 15W40 in your transmission, not transmission fluid, per Indmar and ZFHurth. You can do a search in the forums about this. This is assuming you have the same transmission as me, ZF Hurth 1.5:1.

bigmac
06-27-2007, 07:44 AM
You should be running 15W40 in your transmission, not transmission fluid, per Indmar and ZFHurth. You can do a search in the forums about this. This is assuming you have the same transmission as me, ZF Hurth 1.5:1.

I don't know what they used in1999. Current V-drives are Hurth-labelled VF-63IV (aka HSW630 V1). It's OK to use either ATF (Dexron) or 15W40 engine oil. AFAIK, Hurth switched over to 15W40 only because they were getting called about the tranny rattling a little in neutral at idle. I don't think it had anything to do with failing seals.

MatthewTroyer
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks to bigmac and etakk7 for the info. The hard part is that I live in Indy and I did take it to the one and only dealer. That dealer is the one that gave me the $3500 estimate. They promised me a more accurate diagnosis today. More to come

beatle78
06-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Good luck! Please keep us posted. We all basically have the same boat.

Leroy
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
That one and only dealer in Indy is normally very good, hopefully they find out something more definite. I go there and am in Carmel.

Thanks to bigmac and etakk7 for the info. The hard part is that I live in Indy and I did take it to the one and only dealer. That dealer is the one that gave me the $3500 estimate. They promised me a more accurate diagnosis today. More to come

MatthewTroyer
06-27-2007, 11:03 PM
I've been going there exclusively since I bought the boat a year ago. I'm not trying to trash the dealer. I've already spent over $1000 there on various other stuff. I'm just in cardiac arrest on how this could have happened and why it should cost $3500-5000.

beatle78
06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
did they diagnose the problem yet?

How much to fix it?

MatthewTroyer
07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
They say it's a leaky transmission, something about too much water in the bilge (like 6" plus) (I monitor it very closely -- never had more than a 1/2" in the bilge, but I just bought the boat a year ago). They say $3500 - $5000. I asked them why MC would say it is a 8-10 hour fix and they say it cannot be done correctly -- it really requires a complete rebuild of the tranny at around 30 hours plus...

Leroy
07-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I would look for another quote. I didn't think a new transmision was that expensive?

bigmac
07-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Wow. I didn't pay nearly that much for a complete transmission rebuild on my daughter's Jeep.

Anyway, we're talking seals (you've apparently blown a seal... (http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/1311/Monkey_Joke-_Blew_a_Seal)), yet IIRC you said the transmission fluid looked good and I don't recall you saying that your transmission was behaving badly, only leaving some pink fluid in your bilge.

So, how'd we get from ATF leaking into the bilge from a blown seal, to rebuilding the whole tranny? Boy, I'd really be wanting a second opinion right about now. Since you're not on warranty, I might start by getting a Malibu or CC shop to look at it.

fintek9
07-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Matt, welcome to TT, I have the 01 x-star, Last month had same problem..Estimate here was about $1200...my final cost was $786 plus change! At $85 HR, I saved myself some $ by tearing the boat apart first, took the back seating out, the ski tow bar out, sun deck off, every thing!!! so all they had to do was pull the engine out and fix it, and put it back in. I would do the rest.

They do have to pull the engine out to fix the seal, but they did not take the tranny apart from the engine! It would of been $100 cheaper
if I had not of had a bad engine mount that needed to be replaced.

They say to not let water in the bilge to the point that it's to deep to travel up the shaft...HA.. IMPOSSIBLE.. so I'm just keeping a close eye on things down there to keep it dry, again HA...changing the fluid looks like a once a month maintance job now! or atleast keep checking the fluid for contamination!:mad:

MatthewTroyer
07-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Bigmac & Fintek9 -- Thanks for the guidance. I reluctantly took it to another inboard shop over the weekend -- they think it's a 10-14 hour fix. THey're going to put something called a 'speedysleeve' (MC sanctioned fix) around the tranny so that it's insulated from any water buildup in the transmission next time. Did they do that on your '01 X Star? BTW -- is that '01 X Star the same hull as mine or did they change it in 2001?

fintek9
07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I truely can't tell you about the diff in the hulls, there is and was a tube with hose clamps on it if that is considered a speedysleeve!
still got water through it...

beatle78
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I believe the 1999 and 2001's are the same hull. In fact I think it's the same hull all the way up to the 2007 X-1's. The internal parts may change slightly over time, but the hull stayed the same (90% sure)

If you have the LTR engine, that's what I have in my 2001 205V.

One thing you guys may want to change is the location of the bilge pump.

In my 2001 the bilge is located near the stern. In '02 and later they moved the bilge to the center b/c that where the water collects first.

I bought a new bilge and I'm going to be moving mine shortly.

-beatle78