PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump auto switch

ZenMC
06-25-2007, 03:02 AM
I just installed a new bilge pump in my 97 205. It works fine when selected on with the switch, but I cannot get pump to run on auto when I raise the float.

I checked contiuity on the float switch before install and it was ok. I wired the hot wire to the positive battery cable where it connects to the starter. There are also positive and ground to the selector switch on the panel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LD Hardwick
06-25-2007, 05:16 AM
You should only need one 12v source. It should come through the toggle switch. One side of the foat switch should go to the AUTO side of you toggle switch. The other side of the float switch sould connect to the ON side of the toggle swich, and to the hot side of the pump. So just spice the float into the hot line at the pump, and run that same lead to the ON side of the toggle. Now the only wire left is the negative off of the pump itself, go back to a good ground with it. And if you have a light it should go from the hot side to the negative side to complete a circuit, behind the toggle switch mind you. I have a scematic but cant seem to figure out how to get it on here. I hope you can understand my babbling.

God Bless You and Yours,
Donavan

LD Hardwick
06-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Just thinking about the 12volt supply. You will have to be sure that it is straight off of the battery to wire it this way. You really want it to be able to come on with the key off. Now I see where you were headed with the alternate source. You must have went from the starter to the float, from the other side of float to the auto side of the toggle. Then run the 12volt from the dash to the ON side of the toggle. Then on the switch leg of the toggle you went to the hot side of the pump, and then took the pump negative back to ground? More than one way to skin a cat huh? If neither of these work I would get out the meter and start at the toggle switch.

Regards,
Donavan

ZenMC
06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Just thinking about the 12volt supply. You will have to be sure that it is straight off of the battery to wire it this way. You really want it to be able to come on with the key off. Now I see where you were headed with the alternate source. You must have went from the starter to the float, from the other side of float to the auto side of the toggle. Then run the 12volt from the dash to the ON side of the toggle. Then on the switch leg of the toggle you went to the hot side of the pump, and then took the pump negative back to ground?

That's exactly how I wired it. My old pump just had the one positive and ground that went through the switch. The new one, which was identical in every other way to the old one, had the extra positive wire. I chose the positive batt cable connection at the starter because I knew it (and confirmed) it was hot with the switch off and it was close.
I did some checking yesterday on the switch. It was hard to get to the auto side with the tester, but I couldn't seem to get 12V through the auto side, so I suspect the switch may be bad. I just hope I can find an exact replacement at the dealer.

Thanks for the help!

LD Hardwick
06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
No wahala. A rocker swich should be an easy item to find.

Regards
Donavan

ZenMC
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Went to the Malibu dealer to get some H2O intake hose and by luck they had a 3-way switch that was a perfect match except for the light. They were working on a MC and got the wrong switch (needed momentary springloaded to off) so I bought their mistake.

I'll let you know how it works out but I feel that the switch is the only item not eliminated.

Thanks

LD Hardwick
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
What type of aircraft? Wanting to look into learning to fly. Got to spend that G.I. Bill $$$ on something before I loose it. Are you familiar with Louisiana Tech's aviation program?

ZenMC
06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Airbus A319/A320. I'm going to the A330 (widebody) in October.

Sorry, not familiar with Louisiana Tech's program, but I highly recommend taking advantage of the G.I. Bill and learning to fly. You'll be glad you did.