PDA

View Full Version : First Long Line Deep Water Barefoot Start

WTRSK1R
06-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Woo Hoo:D I started trying to barefoot with a boom about 1.5 years ago. The boom is a friends, so the progress was slow since I am not always on his boat. Last summer I got to where I could barefoot longline by using a step off ski. Last Friday I successfully did a deepwater start with the boom and a 5 foot handle attached. Ran it until my feet hurt. Today I tried a deepwater start longline and was able to get up twice. Neither run was as long as I would have wanted, but I was up solid both times! What a rush.:D Was not even planning on trying, but one of my buddies who was on the boat last Friday when I did the boom start wanted to try it, so I had to try it too.

I have a lot to learn, but it was still very exciting to ride up on my butt, and plant my feet and go.

Steve

Mag_Red
06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
let me be the first to say "Way to Go!":woohoo:

Footin
06-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Congratulations! (it's addicting huh)

suedv
06-24-2007, 11:36 PM
way cool! Keep it up. :banana:

Flatwaterfooter
06-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Congrats to you it is a big rush thats for sure. I am guessing you will have your own boom before the sumer is out. As mentioned before it is addicting.

Willski
06-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Congrats. It's a rush. Plus, you don't have to go back and get the ski.

chudson
06-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Way to go Bud, it's a great feelin isn't it. "Great Job"!!!:banana: :woohoo: :headbang:

tex
06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Congrats! Way to get off the boom!

barefoot
06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Nice work!

barefoot
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I hope you'll be ready to try a double deep with me in Minocqua :D

06197ttlq9-footer
06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Barefooting is about small victories, and the runs are never long enough. Never Ever long enough. If I had a run that started Monday morning at 8:30am and ended friday at 5pm. that might be a long enough run. Congrats!!! Ski all you can on your bare feet then go to the shoe skiis. Your feet will get tougher, promise.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
CONGRATS!!!! :toast:

I am in the learning phase too! Keep up the progress!

CoFooter
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Congrats, I remember what a rush that victory was too. Giving up the wakeboard start for longline started a whole new chapter for me. As of that moment, all my other waters toys started collecting dust cause that all I wanted to do. Don't be surprised if that happens to you. Way to go........

wiltok
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I did it last year for the first time - something I wanted to do for years. Congratulations!!

jbfootin
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Good job! Welcome to the club!

WTRSK1R
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope you'll be ready to try a double deep with me in Minocqua :D
If the water cooperates, I will be willing to try. But do not be surprised if it turns into you footin by yourself real quick.

Steve

2RLAKE
06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
excellent .. glad to hear. I'm out for a month or so ... was doing a flyer off the roof of a neighbor's dock and can you believe he didnt warn me about the sharp metal drip edge ... nothing a half dozen stiched cant fix. I have a Ron Scarpa boom that doesn't fit on my X14 ... let me know if you need one ... Backwards is next!

tex
06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I love summer! It's great to hear everybody talking about learning new tricks. When I was skiing in Germany...I used to buy everyone a bottle of Jager when they put a new trick in the show! It was very expensive but I usually got to drink my share. It promoted people pushing each other to learn new things. Those were the days!

Slinkyredfoot
06-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I love summer too... and good job Steve on the deepwater start. When I leaned to deepwater many moons ago, we had no luxuries such as barefoot wet suits to employ, the result was my butt looked like the result of a Mr. Galloway paddling in 7th grade, I still to this day look back and remember this first deepwater experience I had, I trust you will as well...I am happy for you

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Way to go......no more having to go back and look for that dropped ski for you!

Tourney Team 197
06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Congrats! I was addicted from the moment I completed my first deep start.

vogelm1
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I've gotten up a few times now long line, but the driver has always had to give me a little whip to get outside the wake so I could plant. This a.m. I was trying to cheek out to the point my elbow was dragging in the water...I'd get close to going out, but hit the lip of the wake and it'd push me right be to the middle :mad: I'm comfortable standing up in the wake, but it looks so cool to ride out to one side and hit the smooth water right off the bat. Tips??

peason
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
How fast is the driver pulling you when you are trying to get out side the wake? My wife - who is an excellent driver, pulls me about 18-20 mph to start and once I am out side the wake she nails it and then raises her arm to signal that we are up to speed. If you are going too fast, it is easy to get sucked back into the middle of the wake. At times, I almost have to "roll" over to my side to edge out to the wake, another friend of mine uses his elbows like rudders to get outside. I think the key is speed.

3event
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Well that there is some good advice.....

I don't consistently have the same driver and never tried to locate any great hints so I instructed my drivers by trial and error after each experience at the end of the rope. I still plant while inside the wake, as a result of the early "just grunt it out and get it" efforts. It's a little bumpy in there.

I'll have to try above suggestions to improve my chances of cheek-sliding into the smooth spot first. Thanks guys......

87MCProstar
07-26-2007, 06:43 PM
thats awesome, now your gonna be hooked 4 life

vogelm1
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM
How fast is the driver pulling you when you are trying to get out side the wake? My wife - who is an excellent driver, pulls me about 18-20 mph to start and once I am out side the wake she nails it and then raises her arm to signal that we are up to speed. If you are going too fast, it is easy to get sucked back into the middle of the wake. At times, I almost have to "roll" over to my side to edge out to the wake, another friend of mine uses his elbows like rudders to get outside. I think the key is speed.

I told him to give me a nice easy pull up to 30 mph...it felt comfortable, but the best I could do was slalom around on my butt in the wake - tried swinging back and forth, elbow drag, hand drag. Sounds like the boat speed was a little high - I'll try that tomorrow - thanks!

vogelm1
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Another thing I wondered about was instead of starting directly behind the boat, move off to one side and use the momentum to sling shot across and over the far side of the wake. If someone has tried that and learned the hard way, please let me know. ;)

tex
07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
If you have a driver that gives you the whip, enjoy it! Oh yea, one more thing...the thing that guy said about being addicted for life...he's right on! Go have some fun!

CoFooter
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Peason is right, slow down the speed until you cheek out - no more than 20-25. Any faster, you won't get enough resistance against the water to make sideways progress. Also, if you normally cheek to the drivers side, start leaning out toward the passenger side when you come out of the hole, and then lean toward the drivers side which gives a bit more momentum to get over that stern roller. If you're still not getting it, taking one foot off the rope and point it toward the direction you are going helps as well. Good luck.

vogelm1
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Plan is to hit it at 6am tomorrow. Now we just need these thunderstorms to blow outta here tonight and lay down again. Will let you know how it goes.

06197ttlq9-footer
07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Rock ON! great job. Be carefull barefootin is addictive! Long line is nice, it seems imposible even after youve done it 100 times. Were you pullin from the tower?

vogelm1
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Rock ON! great job. Be carefull barefootin is addictive! Long line is nice, it seems imposible even after youve done it 100 times. Were you pullin from the tower?

No, just a Fly High pole...from what I hear that makes it a little nicer than trying with the regular ski pylon. We had an absolutely perfect morning today...there wasn't a ripple on the water until 8am, so we had 2 full hours of slalom and footin' 'till we couldn't anymore. And off to work we went - great way to start the day.:headbang:

CoFooter
07-27-2007, 11:26 AM
So.......... How did the cheek out go???