PDA

View Full Version : PS 190 Transmission Problem *Help*

rbrugger
06-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I have a 1991 PS 190 and the Transmission seems to be slipping when I try to go from Neutral to forward. The engine over revs to about 1200 RPM at first, now about 3000 before dropping into gear real hard. Reverse works fine. I checked the transmission oil and it seemed low, so I added some fluid but that has not helped.

Also, i think the previous owner put a new dip stick in and it does not seem to be the right size. So I am not sure if it is still low, or if the dipstick is okay.

What steps do I need to take next? I'm thinking of draining the transmission oil and putting new oil in. Perhaps water is in it? If that does not work what else do i need to look for?

It is a velvet drive 1.52:1

Thanks!

TCrate
06-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Is the Tranny oil white or light colored? You can try draining it to see what you get out of it but might need a rebuild.

T Scott
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I have a 1991 PS 190 and the Transmission seems to be slipping when I try to go from Neutral to forward. The engine over revs to about 1200 RPM at first, now about 3000 before dropping into gear real hard. Reverse works fine. I checked the transmission oil and it seemed low, so I added some fluid but that has not helped.

Also, i think the previous owner put a new dip stick in and it does not seem to be the right size. So I am not sure if it is still low, or if the dipstick is okay.

What steps do I need to take next? I'm thinking of draining the transmission oil and putting new oil in. Perhaps water is in it? If that does not work what else do i need to look for?

It is a velvet drive 1.52:1

Thanks!

Sounds to me as if the linkage could be out of adjustment. Find the shift lever on the transmission and unhook the cable. With the motor running and everything clear, move the lever by hand to both the forward and backward position. If it shifts without hesitiation, the problem is a simple adjustment in the lnkage. Check that fisrt and let me know if that solves the problem.

rbrugger
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
"Sounds to me as if the linkage could be out of adjustment. Find the shift lever on the transmission and unhook the cable. With the motor running and everything clear, move the lever by hand to both the forward and backward position. If it shifts without hesitiation, the problem is a simple adjustment in the lnkage. Check that fisrt and let me know if that solves the problem."

I tried that today and it works fine when I put it manually in reverse, but I it still revs when going forward. Could the part that is linked inside the transmission be out of place?

I'm going to drain the transmission tomorrow. Didn't have time today.

Also, does anyone know what the steps are to take the transmission out of the boat? Do i take the propeller off first or what? Thanks for the help guys!