PDA

View Full Version : Deer Flies

atlfootr
06-23-2007, 02:43 PM
As of the other day, I've been gett'n nailed by "deer flies" here in Winter Haven, Fla.

At first bite, I thought they were miniture yellow jackets from the wasp family but as of today I found out that they are deer flies.
Either way, those damn things bite (hurt) like hell :rant:

Have any of you guy's had these blood suckers attack you, as well?

mbeach
06-23-2007, 03:24 PM
atl, are you sure they are not yellow flies? i have a place on a lake near starke and all the locals call them yellow flies because they are small, yellow, and itch like the devil. this year has not been bad, however. i do remember something i used to call a deer fly when hunting in the woods near tally. from what i remember, both were about the same size with the major difference being color.

TMCNo1
06-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Shower more than once a week!

ProTour X9
06-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Ha we get deer flies all the time, its best just to splash them with water, no they don't feel too good either.

SkiDog
06-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Ha we get deer flies all the time, its best just to splash them with water, no they don't feel too good either.

Deer flies and yellow flies are the same thing. They only come out during a certain time of the year. And yea, they hurt like hell when they bite!

atlfootr
06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Deer flies and yellow flies are the same thing.
They only come out during a certain time of the year.
And yea, they hurt like hell when they bite!:mad::cry:Hey Friends,

Now this is called "true and total sacifice" at least on my end ... the things I do for you guys.
When this guy landed on my calf yesterday, he posed for about 2 minutes.

After sucking my blood, he was (squashed) terminated :D

east tx skier
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Had them bad at the lake a few summers back. They are vicious. Used to come after me while I was jogging and made me look a fool running down the road, arms flailing.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Had them bad at the lake a few summers back. They are vicious. Used to come after me while I was jogging and made me look a fool running down the road, arms flailing.
like Scotty Evil?

east tx skier
06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
like Scotty Evil?

Worse, really.

pq2
06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
we call those things "tabanos" and yes, the bite hurts like hell

roddydog
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Get 'em all the time up here in the North Country. Stick a piece of double sided carpet tape on the back of a ball cap. For some reason they buzz around your head and land there, once they do they can't get away.