PDA

View Full Version : West Coasters!! Anyone feel/hear the sonic boom?

Sodar
06-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Two good size booms up here in Westwood. Shuttle came in over San Diego this time, so I would imagine that San Diego and Orange County got it worse down there!

betsy&david Harrison
06-22-2007, 05:21 PM
We got zip up here in Ventura. We usually get a double boom when the shuttle lands out at Edwards. I would have loved to see my kids jump right our of their skin! :D

RexDog1
06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Chit, is that what that was???

Thanks

I thought I was going crazy

and i am in Anaheim today

Sodar
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
We got zip up here in Ventura. We usually get a double boom when the shuttle lands out at Edwards. I would have loved to see my kids jump right our of their skin! :D

It landed at Edwards again, but I guess it normally comes out of the North, this time it came from the south, giving everyone from south of Edwards two good size BOOMS!!

betsy&david Harrison
06-22-2007, 05:39 PM
It is really cool to hear it and know where or what it is coming from. Once it came right over our house up here and we could see it. Just amazing! No more than 10 min. passed and we watched it land at EAFB on the tube.

TMCNo1
06-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Right around 1:00 EST I ate Chinese, could it have been the..............................Boom Boom Chicken with onions?

shepherd
06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
We used to live east of Orlando. One time we were walking in the neigborhood when we heard a BOOM, looked up in the sky, and saw the shuttle passing high above us on it's way into Canaveral. Cool scene.

Another time, it woke us up in the middle of the night. It was so loud my wife nearly jumped out of bed from fright! 8p

Another time a few years ago, we were watching coverage of the landing on TV while at the same time looking out our back window and waiting to hear the boom, and hoping to catch a glimpse of it. But it never came, and it never appeared on TV... it broke up over Texas. :(

Sodar
06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Right around 1:00 EST I ate Chinese, could it have been the..............................Boom Boom Chicken with onions?

No... it was at 12:43pm PST Sorry Harold! Keep Eating!

Ryan
06-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I watched the nightly orbit from UT. It was very cool on Tues night seeing the shuttle chasing the space station.

TMCNo1
06-24-2007, 06:38 PM
No... it was at 12:43pm PST Sorry Harold! Keep Eating!

But, it took 3 hours for the onions to build up "steam"!:rolleyes: 8p :D

tuffenuff
06-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I was doing work at San Diego Trolley when we heard the "Boob, then another Boom"! We thought something landed hard on the roof of the shop! When I got back to my hotel room, I heard it on the news. We thought Martians had landed!

TMCNo1
06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I was doing work at San Diego Trolley when we heard the "Boob, then another Boom"! We thought something landed hard on the roof of the shop! When I got back to my hotel room, I heard it on the news. We thought Martians had landed!

It could have been the peacock arriving with trickskier's Florida Gator hat for a tour of the West Coast!

east tx skier
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Another time a few years ago, we were watching coverage of the landing on TV while at the same time looking out our back window and waiting to hear the boom, and hoping to catch a glimpse of it. But it never came, and it never appeared on TV... it broke up over Texas. :(

I heard it that morning. It was either a few minutes before 7 a.m. or a few minutes after. It was so loud it shook the house. My wife was driving back from Houston that morning and saw a lot of debris on the side of the highway. Very sad.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
WHy would it make 2 booms? doesnt that happen when it breaks the sound barrier?? it must have broken it twice then????:confused:

TMCNo1
06-25-2007, 12:48 PM
WHy would it make 2 booms? doesnt that happen when it breaks the sound barrier?? it must have broken it twice then????:confused:

Does the shuttle have ABS Brakes?:rolleyes: :eek: :D Or maybe they downshifted twice!
Stranger things have happened! When the weather man called for a Severe Winter Storm here once, the railroad workers had the trains jacked up, putting on snow chains!

nuckinfutz
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I was out on the lake up north. I didn't hear it!

bcampbe7
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM

A good enginerd would know this!

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-016-DFRC.html

All aircraft generate two cones, at the nose and at the tail. They are usually of similar strength and the time interval between the two as they reach the ground is primarily dependent on the size of the aircraft and its altitude. Most people on the ground cannot distinguish between the two and they are usually heard as a single sonic boom. Sonic booms created by vehicles the size and mass of the space shuttle are very distinguishable and two distinct booms are easily heard.

Maristar210
06-25-2007, 01:08 PM

All aircraft generate two cones, at the nose and at the tail. They are usually of similar strength and the time interval between the two as they reach the ground is primarily dependent on the size of the aircraft and its altitude. Most people on the ground cannot distinguish between the two and they are usually heard as a single sonic boom. Sonic booms created by vehicles the size and mass of the space shuttle are very distinguishable and two distinct booms are easily heard.

I was going to be nice and let him figure it out for himslef but since you brought it up I thought I would now pile on

SUMP

Ric
06-25-2007, 01:08 PM
anybody know it's scheduled stops on the way to kennedy? I saw it stopped at ellington once on a piggyback trip

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Hey, engineers are like doctors, the one that graduates last in his class still gets a degree. 8p and engineers are also like hookers, some are just better than others.:D

I musta missed sonic boom day at college......:o