PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay positive?

kycat2007
06-22-2007, 01:11 AM
I was talking to a friend and he said that at times I am pessimestic and it comes out on occassion. I wonder how you guys go about keeping your chins up and avoiding negative thinking. I think too much as it is not want to have to worry about getting negative on my peeps. Sugestions?

peason
06-22-2007, 01:21 AM
I guess the best way I stay positive is to think of all the best that I have now - wife, children and my health. Plus every thing I get to do every day - go to work, earn a good living and ski!

Farmer Ted
06-22-2007, 01:25 AM
nothing wrong with having realistic expectations

TMCNo1
06-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Get a peacock as your best friend like Skidog did!:D

H20skeefreek
06-22-2007, 08:20 AM
I was talking to a friend and he said that at times I am pessimestic and it comes out on occassion. I wonder how you guys go about keeping your chins up and avoiding negative thinking. I think too much as it is not want to have to worry about getting negative on my peeps. Sugestions?
I stay positive by knowing that my life is just a small part of a big beautiful picture being painted by God. No, everything in my life is NOT always perfect, but I know that if I live my life to the fullest, within God's will/purpose for me, that in the end I'll spend my days in paradise with Him.

Just know that when things are sour in your life, they are sweet for someone else, and in the big, eternal picture, nothing that happens here matters in the slightest. We have our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to thank for that. For God gave us His one and only son, Jesus Christ so that we will not perish, but have everlasting life.

Kycat, I encourage you to visit the Prayer concerns thread, and we will be happy to pray for you if you will just let us know what is weighing on your shoulders. Believe me, prayer works miracles.

~Jesus Loves You

betsy&david Harrison
06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I have a husband that is a pessimist, I am an optimist by nature. You need to find a way to feel good about yourself. If you like the way you look and feel about yourself others will see you differently. Find peace within yourself somehow and laugh at life's wonders!!

uawaterskier
06-22-2007, 09:19 AM
drink more beer! everything seems like a good idea then

Rickkirch
06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
PESSIMESTIC? I was at the gas station fueling my MC and someone at the next pump said "Thats got to hurt" And my reply was. "no way!, The more fuel that goes into the boat, the more fun comes out of it!" I hate to see boats docked on sunny days.

atlfootr
06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Get a peacock as your best friend like Skidog did!:DOr a dog :D

mbeach
06-22-2007, 09:59 AM
i used to work for information systems in the univ of iowa hospital. whenever i was having a pity party and feeling sorry for myself, i would see a child in the hall from the pediatric oncology unit and i would ask myself what did this child ever do to deserve such a fate. then reality would set in and i would realize how God has truly blessed me and my family. however, i still had trouble dealing with the peds oncology unit and would chose a route that would it.

chudson
06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
PESSIMESTIC? I was at the gas station fueling my MC and someone at the next pump said "Thats got to hurt" And my reply was. "no way!, The more fuel that goes into the boat, the more fun comes out of it!" I hate to see boats docked on sunny days.

Ain't that the truth, I like that and will remember that one. "Good Job"!!!:D

shepherd
06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I have a husband that is a pessimist, I am an optimist by nature. You need to find a way to feel good about yourself. If you like the way you look and feel about yourself others will see you differently. Find peace within yourself somehow and laugh at life's wonders!!

I have a wife that is a pessimist, I'm a die-hard optimist. It's tough living with pessimists isn't it? -- always trying to bring us down, man! :mad:

I could try to change her, but it would never work.

betsy&david Harrison
06-22-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a wife that is a pessimist, I'm a die-hard optimist. It's tough living with pessimists isn't it? -- always trying to bring us down, man! :mad:

Sometimes but for the most part we balance each other out.

tex
06-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I bi1ch alot. It's what keeps me sane. It also makes me laugh a lot too. Most important thing is figure out how to laugh at yourself and not to take yourself too seriously!

chevy08bud
06-22-2007, 12:03 PM

My wife and I are the same, she is the pessimist and I'm always really optomistic. We do balance each other out well, I say that she keeps me grounded. If something is really bothering you, just ask yourself if you can control what it is that you are upset about. Most of the time, I find that people dwell on the things that they have no control over and cannot change. At that point the best advice that I have is to say to yourself "F-it". In the end, what does it really matter?

kycat2007
06-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. Usually it means some things have to be fixed when I get too negative. I have really hated my job for a while and I need to be more proactive in finding something new. I still have a fear of letting others down and I think that is why I am still single at 37. I have not allowed myself be propped up by others because I am usually propping them up. Things could be alot worse and I need to thank God for the blessings He has given me.

06197ttlq9-footer
06-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I am with h20skeefreek, Happyness comes from the love of God and knowing that he loves you. The rest is just details, some are good details & some are bad. You chose which ones are important. The gas tank is either half full or its half empty. God Bless.

Jesus_Freak
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
...nothing that happens here matters in the slightest. We have our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to thank for that....~Jesus Loves You

Ditto

i used to work for information systems in the univ of iowa hospital. whenever i was having a pity party and feeling sorry for myself, i would see a child in the hall from the pediatric oncology unit and i would ask myself what did this child ever do to deserve such a fate. then reality would set in and i would realize how God has truly blessed me and my family. however, i still had trouble dealing with the peds oncology unit and would chose a route that would avoid it.

Wow....I could see how that would be very hard to face.

cbryan70
06-29-2007, 03:00 PM
My wife and I are the same, she is the pessimist and I'm always really optomistic. We do balance each other out well, I say that she keeps me grounded. If something is really bothering you, just ask yourself if you can control what it is that you are upset about. Most of the time, I find that people dwell on the things that they have no control over and cannot change. At that point the best advice that I have is to say to yourself "F-it". In the end, what does it really matter?

I learned this in the past year with having my son and everything else that has come with it. Being able to not dwell to much on the things that you can not control or change has been probably one of the greatest things I could ever have received in the past year.

TMCNo1
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I make a habit of reading UA's posts first!

Leroy
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Sometimes it is just the way you are and you have to accept that or try for small changes. My wife is the one that sees the sky falling everytime we start to do something and I only see the fun.

I see a pattern with Shepard, and chevy08bud!

suedv
07-01-2007, 09:38 AM
I do things that make me happy even if I don't feel good at the time. If I'm doing things that make me happy, I don't have time to dwell on my problems and I have a very happy life. :)

I'm happy in our boat, I'm happy with my family, I like my job, gardening in my yard is very enjoyable, volunteering on gardening projects with our county extension office if fun, I love taking pictures, hauling out my mountain dulcimer, harmonicas, or flute makes me relaxed, going for a walk outside is nice, doing most anything outside is nice...

I fill my life with happy things and then I'm happy.

JohnE
07-01-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't think you can really change your nature of being either optimistic or pessimistic. You can control what feelings you convey to others. My father is the pessimist. Complains about everything. If he just would stop b1tching so much about things, everyone would enjoy his company a lot more.