PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat repair

Jeffory
06-20-2007, 11:33 PM
I gouged the bottom of my boat and need to do some gelcoat repair. I have checked with Mastercraft and they gave me the code for the spectrum color oyster which is 3930. The only problem is that they don't make a patch kit for that color. Just a quart and that's $85. How tough would it be to get the evercoat gel repair and match the color by mixing the colors up? Anyone have a possible mix down already? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jorski
06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Pay for the quart if you care about a decent match. There are very few professional shops that can custom mix and come up with a decent color match.

east tx skier
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
If "oyster" is white, then you're better off letting a pro match it with whatever he has on hand. Brand new "factory spec" gel coat isn't going to match perfectly a 16 year old hull anyway even if it is the same as what was originally sprayed.

Jeffory
06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, Oyster is white. The gouge is right where the hull comes to a point where it would hit the roller first. So it wouldn't be noticeable unless you got under the boat and laid down to look at it. I guell I'll have to think over what I'm going to do.
Thanks for the replies,
Jeff

dsoby
06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I agree with ETX. But if you are looking for a spectrum patch kit, try Spectrumcolor.com/catalog.html. They sell small patch kits.