PDA

View Full Version : Are there any firefighters here?

brftski
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
With the recent, fire deaths in Charleston, South Carolina. I started wondering how many firefighters are on here. What station, rank, and position you hold? I am a station Chief and an Arson Investigator for Anderson County in South Carolina.

--------------------------------------------
"Free Paris"

dmayer84
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I joined my local station, Fairchild Fire Company Station 4 for Morris Township NJ back in January, go to Fire 1 in Sept.

tex
06-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Where's Quincy?

Bruce
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
brftski I grew up just up the road from you in Greenville S.C. I've been a firefighter for about 12 yrs. (since I retired from the corp. world.) I am a Capt. and dept. Safety Officer. I am on reserve status but because of safety resp. I am pretty much on 24/7. I am with Fire Dist. #3 in Lacombe, La.We are also the 911 provider for this area and run all the medicals. So heart breaking about our brothers in Charleston. I would have hated to be the Safety Officer on that scene. Tough call.(heavy fire load, probably metal truss roof)Looks like it must have flashed. The families and the other guys/gals there really need our prayers.
Keep your shield down and stay safe,
Bruce

Ric
06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I doubt all the details are in but what do you fire guys think of a warehouse full of nicely painted up chinese wood furniture packed and stacked in cardboard boxes in a 50k sq ft building? What could have been done regarding fire-code to keep this from happening? I am sure mymc could tell some stories about firecode on a boat dealership in that area, but what about warehousing? or warehouse stores for that matter

BuzzSr
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
12 year Vol w/Klein VFD, Station 31, Klein, Tx. (kleinfiredept.com)Recently Jr. capt & 1st VP BOD. Day job running a rig in Nigeria. Real bummer the guys didn't make it out. Easy to what if it, had to be in it to know for sure. Tough deal any way you look at it.

betsy&david Harrison
06-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I know that quincyfirefighter is a member here. He is in Northern Cal.

quincyfirefighter
06-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm here Tex. Hope the leg is mending fast. Nice looking scar ;) Welcome brftski, I eat smoke also. Been with my department (Quincy Ca.) since 98. Station 1. Was engineer until last Feb when I made Captain. Am also on the Hazmat Team (Technician) also have OES Engine (office of Emergency Services) that take us out of our district for months at a time to fight wildland fires with USFS and CalFire. You a Arson Investigator (Sweet) Hat's off to ya on that one, because I know how hard it can be after we have been there. Work alot with the Forest Service and preserving the origin of our many wildland Fires. We live in a major urban interphase area so we work closely with the USFS and CalFire. What's your run sheet look like. We run about 1100 calls within our district with about 65% medical and the rest fire a year. Small town about 6,000 people but about 22,000 acres of forest that keep us busy. :rolleyes:

quincyfirefighter
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I know that quincyfirefighter is a member here. He is in Northern Cal.
Hi Bets Aug 4 is getting close :woohoo:

tex
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm here Tex. Hope the leg is mending fast. Nice looking scar ;) Welcome brftski, I eat smoke also. Been with my department (Quincy Ca.) since 98. Station 1. Was engineer until last Feb when I made Captain. Am also on the Hazmat Team (Technician) also have OES Engine (office of Emergency Services) that take us out of our district for months at a time to fight wildland fires with USFS and CalFire. You a Arson Investigator (Sweet) Hat's off to ya on that one, because I know how hard it can be after we have been there. Work alot with the Forest Service and preserving the origin of our many wildland Fires. We live in a major urban interphase area so we work closely with the USFS and CalFire. What's your run sheet look like. We run about 1100 calls within our district with about 65% medical and the rest fire a year. Small town about 6,000 people but about 22,000 acres of forest that keep us busy. :rolleyes:
Thanks QF-Hats off to you!

quincyfirefighter
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I doubt all the details are in but what do you fire guys think of a warehouse full of nicely painted up chinese wood furniture packed and stacked in cardboard boxes in a 50k sq ft building? What could have been done regarding fire-code to keep this from happening? I am sure mymc could tell some stories about firecode on a boat dealership in that area, but what about warehousing? or warehouse stores for that matter
Ric I have no comment on this tragedy. I was not there. But I know that my heart sank when I found out and said a prayer for the firefighters and their families.

Ric
06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I doubt all the details are in but what do you fire guys think of a warehouse full of nicely painted up chinese wood furniture packed and stacked in cardboard boxes in a 50k sq ft building? What could have been done regarding fire-code to keep this from happening? I am sure mymc could tell some stories about firecode on a boat dealership in that area, but what about warehousing? or warehouse stores for that matter anyone? by the way fire & rescue, thanks for what you do

quincyfirefighter
06-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks QF-Hats off to you!
Just wish I could ski like you and the rest :rolleyes:

tex
06-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Just wish I could ski like you and the rest :rolleyes:
You do something far more important than skiing!

Willski
06-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I ski alot with a firefighter. I give him hard time about his schedule. 24 on 48 off, and a callus on his thumb from watching TV and playstation at the firehouse. I really do have a lot of respect for him and others who sometimes risk their lives for the rest of us!! My heart goes out to the SC firefighters who lost their lives.

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I ski alot with a firefighter. I give him hard time about his schedule. 24 on 48 off, and a callus on his thumb from watching TV and playstation at the firehouse. I really do have a lot of respect for him and others who sometimes risk their lives for the rest of us!! My heart goes out to the SC firefighters who lost their lives.
Funny thing never really got in to the video games. :confused: Rather watch sports ;)

Willski
06-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Funny thing never really got in to the video games. :confused: Rather watch sports ;)

Funny thing is that I'm sure working the 24 kills him if they are not busy, (except during sleeping hours). He cannot sit still usually. He does have the cleanest car I've ever seen.

Sodar
06-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Funny thing is that I'm sure working the 24 kills him if they are not busy, (except during sleeping hours). He cannot sit still usually. He does have the cleanest car I've ever seen.

Yeah... that is about right! About 90% of the firefighters around here have the cleanest cars, boats, bikes, RV's and any other toy you can think of! After a weekend of use, they get about a week of cleaning and maintenance!!

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah... that is about right! About 90% of the firefighters around here have the cleanest cars, boats, bikes, RV's and any other toy you can think of! After a weekend of use, they get about a week of cleaning and maintenance!!
So your point is :rolleyes: Wish My things were that clean but living in the mountains, I gave up :o

Sodar
06-21-2007, 01:04 AM
So your point is :rolleyes: Wish My things were that clean but living in the mountains, I gave up :o

No point at all!! I just signed up for LA County's Test and Orange County's Test within the last couple weeks! I want in!!! :D

brftski
06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks to all for what you, do.Yea we might have clean cars, toys, and allot of people see our down time. The problem is nobody is around at 3:00am when we put in 8 hours of nasty *** hard work in 2 hours. Nothing we have is clean after that. I think all firefighters are sadden by the loss in Charleston ,because we can all look back at our career and say "Damn that almost happened to me”. Headlines like this no matter what part of the country you live in hits close to home. I have been fighting fires over 20 years and have had two incidents where I stepped out just in time to see the roof collapse where I was standing. The first time my underwear looked like I had been promoted to lieutenant with a single brown stripe.

A Fireman's Prayer
When I am called to duty, God,
Whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life,
Whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person
From the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling
And to give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor
And protect his property.
And if, according to my fate,
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting
My children and my wife.
- Author Unknown
Amen!!!!

ProTour X9
06-21-2007, 08:57 AM
I could've sworn Doug G was a firefighter.

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
No point at all!! I just signed up for LA County's Test and Orange County's Test within the last couple weeks! I want in!!! :D
Good luck there Sodar. I'll be pulling for ya. My chief is from the LAFD.

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Morning quincy!! Our fire season is up bright and early this year in So.Cal. We could use a good guy like Sodar out there on the lines, couldn't we.

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Morning quincy!! Our fire season is up bright and early this year in So.Cal. We could use a good guy like Sodar out there on the lines, couldn't we.
Morning Bets, we could but I think you just want to see him in a firefighters calendar.. :rolleyes:

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Wearing a red speedo.

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Only if he has a swimmers body!! Those are the only ones fit enough to be seen in a speedo. SODAR!Are you here to defend yourself??

quincyfirefighter
06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Well have a good day got to go

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
See you soon...up your way!

Kyle's_prostar205
06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm a Fire Fighter here in Colorado. I work for Wheat Ridge Fire Department. I love this job and wake up each morning ready to go to work. It is truly ther most rewarding job any person could ask for.

In memory of the 9 in Charleston, SC...You will never be forgotten.

Sodar
06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Only if he has a swimmers body!! Those are the only ones fit enough to be seen in a speedo. SODAR!Are you here to defend yourself??

I am here now! I aint scared of no Speedos. I spent the good part of 20 years in them with water polo and swimming. :o

Sodar
06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Good luck there Sodar. I'll be pulling for ya. My chief is from the LAFD.

Thanks Quincy! I never thought I would be doing this, but times change and I am beginning to realize that the corporate 9-5, non-rewarding lifestyle is not working for me... we will see what transpires!

Kyle's_prostar205
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Quincy! I never thought I would be doing this, but times change and I am beginning to realize that the corporate 9-5, non-rewarding lifestyle is not working for me... we will see what transpires!
Good luck buddy! I just got done with the whole testing process myself here in Colorado. I'm now waiting for my final job offer...keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck out there in lovely Cali!

Bruce
06-22-2007, 05:35 PM
With the recent, fire deaths in Charleston, South Carolina. I started wondering how many firefighters are on here. What station, rank, and position you hold? I am a station Chief and an Arson Investigator for Anderson County in South Carolina.

--------------------------------------------
"Free Paris"
check your PM box

Doug G
06-23-2007, 12:13 AM
18 year volunteer. Currently Assistant Chief of my department, Team Leader (equivilant of asst. chief) of County technical rescue team and Element Leader (again equivalent of asst. chief) of PA State Urban Search and Rescue Element for our 8 county area.

May God bless the families of the South Carolina firefighters lost and our brothers and sisters in South Carolina and NY (another death this week).
Let us never forget them, all the others before them, and especially 9/11.