PDA

View Full Version : Ski Length to Weight Ratio

barefoot
06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Wondering what the ski length to weight ratio is. For instance, if I buy a ski that is 67 ski, ideally that should fit a person XX tall and weighs YY weight. Hoping someone can help with the ratio.

chudson
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I googled this web site: http://waterski.about.com/od/tipsslalombegin/a/slalom_sizing.htm

east tx skier
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Like the chart says, it's weight and boat speed. Height is not a factor.

tex
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Wondering what the ski length to weight ratio is. For instance, if I buy a ski that is 67 ski, ideally that should fit a person XX tall and weighs YY weight. Hoping someone can help with the ratio.
I usually find the ugliest, longest, and widest ski I can and just put a toe piece on it. That way when you get to 42mph, you will want to get off of the thing fast! You are talking step-off skis right?
I mean your name is Barefoot!

BrianM
06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Also keep in mind that different ski manufacturers reccomend different lengths. The chart is a close approximation but there definitely are differences between skis.

3event
06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone know where to find the chart for HO skis? I did not see in on their website......

chudson
06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Call Overton's and they'll email it to you!!!

1-800-334-6541

edited:Sorry Parker and the boys don't carry HO!!:o

east tx skier
06-20-2007, 12:32 PM
There's an HO ski sizing chart on this site (http://www.shuswapsnb.com/HOSkis2005.html). Sorry, but it would not copy well in chart form.

3event
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Thank you sir, that's what I was looking for!

barefoot
06-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Tex, you crack me up! That's what the Dick Pope, Jr. are for! Buy a bunch at yard sales so that why when your weekend wally's pick up your ski because they think 'it must have fallen out of someone's boat', you don't feel so bad. Just a little irritated....

I actually was looking at a few skis on ebay. It's time to upgrade a little. But, hell, it'll probably be too slow anyways and I'll want to kick the darn thing off anyways!

I usually find the ugliest, longest, and widest ski I can and just put a toe piece on it. That way when you get to 42mph, you will want to get off of the thing fast! You are talking step-off skis right?
I mean your name is Barefoot!

tex
06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Tex, you crack me up! That's what the Dick Pope, Jr. are for! Buy a bunch at yard sales so that why when your weekend wally's pick up your ski because they think 'it must have fallen out of someone's boat', you don't feel so bad. Just a little irritated....

I actually was looking at a few skis on ebay. It's time to upgrade a little. But, hell, it'll probably be too slow anyways and I'll want to kick the darn thing off anyways!
BF-I have about 8 step offs. I love tinkering and collecting for all the reasons you listed above...and yes, I do have a Dick Pope Jr. I also have an old wooden jumper that is painted silver. We call it the silver bullett! Old jumpers make the best step-offs. They are easy to get up on and can handle the speed!

trunderw
06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
If you're considering buying an HO ski, I really like mine. I skied on a Kidder with double high wraps for years, but the HO with double high wraps feels much smoother in a high speed turn. (my $.02)

94PS190
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
What's a high speed turn? Are you trying to ski while the kids tube?

H20ski Dude
07-17-2007, 12:14 PM
best bet is to try the ski in different sizes. different styles come into play as well as different MFG's.

the trend is to go bigger now adays, but its all personal preference.

I've seen some charts advise 69-70" for all weights above 160lbs to 220...

a 160lb skier shouldn't be on a 69 IMO, maybe a pro who skis shortline at 36.. maybe!!!

I'm hovering around 180 (small frame) and ski on a 66" CDX. I would go up to 67, which is probably ideal (gives me motivation to loose weight - I'm only 5'9"), 68 is too big for me.

I ski at 32-34mph mostly 15-28off