PDA

View Full Version : Blown water hose

2RLAKE
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
There were several discussions yesterday about blown water lines recently. I had one fail last week on my new X14, the line from the water pump to the thermostat housing on the LH side of the engine (LH as looking at the front of the engine). I just talked with Indmar and they are aware of it .... manufacturing issue at one of thier suppliers and this supplier only makes this one hose for them. They have since switched suppliers and are working with the dealers. Recommended people check the hose once the boat is warmed up at idle to see if it feels "squishy" ... thats a good technical term.

Better add this to your daily checks ... Indmar did not think there will be many out there

Hrkdrivr
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Which engine?

2RLAKE
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Mine was on an MCX, I think the RTP also has the same hose. The LY6 does not have this hose as I first attempted to "borrow" it from my friend's X2 who was not at the lake last weekend

casx2
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Had that hose blow out on my 2003 197 w/ the MCX last year. Put alot of water in the boat until I noticed it. Called skidim and had a new one for the next weekend.

2RLAKE
06-20-2007, 12:28 PM
the hose PN is 845010 .... yep that baby puts our a ton of water. When it blew last week, my wife and kids were heading out for the day ... glad it went 100 yards from the dock vs. couple of miles

x2boarder
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, good post!! I had this go bad on Monday! She loaded the boat with about 2,500 lbs of water, both bilge pumps, and my fat sac pump to keep up!! (2,600GPH pumping out and it was still wet!!) If those hose goes on your boat, don't go faster it will bring in more water, shut it down and get a tow!

dmayer84
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Any way to put a ball valve right on the intake so that if it does blow you dont go down like the titanic?

east tx skier
06-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Any way to put a ball valve right on the intake so that if it does blow you dont go down like the titanic?

Yes, google "seacock"

http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/images/seacock-closed.jpg

bcampbe7
06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
There were several discussions yesterday about blown water lines recently. I had one fail last week on my new X14, the line from the water pump to the thermostat housing on the LH side of the engine (LH as looking at the front of the engine). I just talked with Indmar and they are aware of it .... manufacturing issue at one of thier suppliers and this supplier only makes this one hose for them. They have since switched suppliers and are working with the dealers. Recommended people check the hose once the boat is warmed up at idle to see if it feels "squishy" ... thats a good technical term.

Better add this to your daily checks ... Indmar did not think there will be many out there

Hmmmm... I have that same hose on my 1996 PS190. I just replaced it a few weeks ago. I need to check to make sure it is not one of the faulty hoses. Thanks for the info.

Ric
06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I must be honest, I will visually inspect my water pickup when I get home today

cm02WS6
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I also chimed in on that thread. This hose failed on our ski club's '07 Response LXi (at 27 hours) on Memorial Day, so I borrowed the same hose off of my '01 PS 209 so we'd be back in action.

I'd bet that this hose is the same on any small-block based motor.

bigmac
06-21-2007, 11:09 AM

Better add this to your daily checks ... Indmar did not think there will be many out thereI've seen this exact issue reported with rather disturbing frequency on other forums (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4876&hl=water+hose), and it's almost always the same hose.

ttu
09-02-2007, 09:09 PM
i had the hose from the water pump to the engine block split open (6 inches) today on my 07 x2 with 22 hrs. have pics but left the camera cable at the office.

could not believe the amt of h20 that flooded the bilge. had to "limp" back at a slow pace back to the dock after a semi repair of the line with transpore (medical) tape.

called the dealer and they said they had not heard of this problem but had the "new" hose in stock:confused:

drove 185 miles round trip to the dealer to have one more holiday day on the water to pick up the replacment.

Roonie's
09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Here is the recall or suggested fix for the dealers on the water hose in question.

A number of issues regarding the 81845010 J-hose that connects the water circulating pump to the thermostat housing on certain 2007 model RTP-1 and MCX engines have been reported. The hoses may have a weak spot resulting from uneven distribution of the reinforcement material when the hose was molded. The failures typically occur early in the life of the engine and result in the hose splitting and leaking water into the bilge of the boat. Although the failure of the hose causes major inconvenience to the boat owner, there have been no cases of engine damage or other permanent damage resulting from the failure.

From the point at which the issue was raised, all of the hoses have been tested and identified by a red paint dot on the front of the hose. Hoses on 2007 RTP-1 and MCX engines prior to engine serial numbers137187 should be inspected and replaced as necessary.

Roonie's
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Also here is another thread about possible 07 problems or service bulletins.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18406

bigmac
09-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Any way to put a ball valve right on the intake so that if it does blow you dont go down like the titanic?Always a good idea to have a seacock on the intake line, but this particular hose is above the water line. If the engine is shut off, it won't ship any water if/when it ruptures.

mtb74
09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I had the same thing happen a year ago in my 2004 ProStar 209, it had to be the day that I had my nephews and their friends up to the lake for a day of water sports.

Happened at 10:00AM... Quick trip to the AutoParts store and some hunting in the hose isle to make something work for the weekend while I ordered a new hose. Was back on the water by 12:30.

Yes. allot of water in the boat!

ttu
09-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Here is the recall or suggested fix for the dealers on the water hose in question.

A number of issues regarding the 81845010 J-hose that connects the water circulating pump to the thermostat housing on certain 2007 model RTP-1 and MCX engines have been reported. The hoses may have a weak spot resulting from uneven distribution of the reinforcement material when the hose was molded. The failures typically occur early in the life of the engine and result in the hose splitting and leaking water into the bilge of the boat. Although the failure of the hose causes major inconvenience to the boat owner, there have been no cases of engine damage or other permanent damage resulting from the failure.

From the point at which the issue was raised, all of the hoses have been tested and identified by a red paint dot on the front of the hose. Hoses on 2007 RTP-1 and MCX engines prior to engine serial numbers137187 should be inspected and replaced as necessary.

i hope i don't have any engine damage. the temp never got above 165 degrees. there was somewhat of a "knock" for a short time on our slow trip back. thank goodness the mc uses two bilge pumps.:)

Roonie's
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
If temp stayed the same no worries... 165 is normal.

ttu
09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
If temp stayed the same no worries... 165 is normal.

:D funny thing was my supra was always 180 degrees (230 hrs). sad thing was being passed by pontoon boats and still trying to look:cool: for that 2 miles. i never looked so forward to the no wake zone so damm much.

OhioX14
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM

The interesting part of the above is that they're stating that this should be an '07 (engines with S/N's prior to 137187) and earlier problem only. However, 2RLAKE's boat (and mine) is an '08 so you would think he would have had a new "tested" hose and not suffered the failure. I guess I'm checking mine in the morning and looking for that red dot although I wonder if that really means you're safe?

Roonie's
09-03-2007, 09:46 AM
All I know is they sent out this service bulleting I supplied for the 07 model's. You would think it wouldn't be an issue anymore as you said. They have yet to make it a recall. It might be wise to keep an extra hose maybe?? I am getting mine changed out this week as I have the hose in question on my engine but it has yet to blow for some reason. I keep waiting for it.

ttu
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
put the new hose on yesterday and everything was fine.

pics i took of the hose are to big that this system will not allow me to post

Sodar
09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Monday I went out for an early morning ski ride and ruptured the water hose on my MCX. :mad: :noface: :( It was actually pretty eventful as we were about 300 yards from the dam and the 5mph current was pushing us right into it, with no one around. I was lucky enough to use a ski as a paddle to get us to shallow enough water where I could hold the boat until someone came around to go get some help.

Luckly, when anything ruptures beyond the raw water pump, it is only a trickle of water coming into the bilge as long as the engine is turned off... Now the question of the day... how soon do you think I can get one?

erkoehler
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Monday I went out for an early morning ski ride and ruptured the water hose on my MCX. :mad: :noface: :( It was actually pretty eventful as we were about 300 yards from the dam and the 5mph current was pushing us right into it, with no one around. I was lucky enough to use a ski as a paddle to get us to shallow enough water where I could hold the boat until someone came around to go get some help.

Luckly, when anything ruptures beyond the raw water pump, it is only a trickle of water coming into the bilge as long as the engine is turned off... Now the question of the day... how soon do you think I can get one?

tomorrow it will be on your door step.....

Sodar
09-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Blew up pretty good!

Ruptured through both layers!

Look what just arrived!!

Jaffy75
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I was cruising down the Colorado River today and started taking on water, a lot of water. I was about 1/4 of a mile from the boat ramp, 1/2 a mile from the damn, so I kept going to the ramp. The boat ramp was in use, I panicked and pulled up to the shore. Minor damage to hull, a couple of scratches. Turned off the boat and then got a rope to pull it on the trailer. What a nightmare!!! I got all the water out, and noticed a 4 inch split in the hose. Did they ever do a recall for this hose??? Hind sight being 20/20, turn off the engine right???

Sodar
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, just turn the motor off and the flow stops completely... the hoses are a recall. The new hoses will have a red dot on them to signify that they are the new thing.

Where on the Colorado were you?

Jaffy75
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Yuma, fairly close to Imperial Dam. Too close to Imperial Dam today.

milkmania
11-25-2007, 10:49 PM

google searched Imperial Dam....
found a pretty neat 360 degree view
http://virtualguidebooks.com/SouthCalif/SouthernDeserts/ImperialDam/ImperialDam_FS.html

Sodar
11-25-2007, 10:59 PM

WHOA! You are way down there! How is the water down that way? Blythe was pretty low last weekend.... I can not imagine what it would be like down there!

Jaffy75
11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
It is a little low but we still had a great time today. I did get out the wetsuit for the first time this year. Any idea what it takes to get the scratches in my hull fixed?

Sodar
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Depends how deep the scratches are. If they are deep (to the fiberglass) gelcoating will need to be done to repair them. If they are not too deep, you can wet sandthem out, use a deep compound, then polish, topped off with some wax. I personally do not like to wetsand myself. At the end of each season, I take my boat into a fiberglass shop and circle each stratch, nick or imperfection with a dry-erase marker. The shop usually charges a couple hundred bucks and he takes care of them... whether the scratches need to be polished, wet sanded or sprayed, he can take care of it. Plus, if he wet sands through the gel, he can fix it easily.

88 PS190
11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Bring the hose down to napa or what not and you can work out a replacement, or a radiator shop can bend you a metal pipe and you will just have short rubber ones for the ends... no chance of that blowing since you can get super high quality hose to make your couplers. You'd need to add 2 hose clamps to the whole affair.

btriantos
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
On this lake this weekend, and started taking in water from a blown J hose on the engine. Talking to MC dealer, this seems to be a problem found long ago on the MCX. I just pulled the boat off the dealer lot, July of last year, so this thing blew out un less than a year. Freak thing or should I have a few of these $40 suckers on hand at all times??

Also, has anyone over filled their gas tank, and and had fuel seep from the top of the gas tank? I noticed is was seeping either from the gasket plate, or the round "cap" device that site on top of it. Once fuel level dropped, the problem went away...

ttu
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
i don't have a answer on your 2nd question, but in re: to the jhose, there was i believe a recall on that hose.

my 07 x2 with rtp did the same thing:mad:. dealer gave me new hose and have had no issues in the last 100+ hours.

Chicago190
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
On this lake this weekend, and started taking in water from a blown J hose on the engine. Talking to MC dealer, this seems to be a problem found long ago on the MCX. I just pulled the boat off the dealer lot, July of last year, so this thing blew out un less than a year. Freak thing or should I have a few of these $40 suckers on hand at all times??

Also, has anyone over filled their gas tank, and and had fuel seep from the top of the gas tank? I noticed is was seeping either from the gasket plate, or the round "cap" device that site on top of it. Once fuel level dropped, the problem went away...

The J-Hose was a defect from the hose manufacturer. The replacement hose should solve your problem and not suffer from premature failure.

SkiDog
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I think I'd be a little worried about the gas leak @ the top of the tank. That needs to be fixed!

btriantos
05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks... I just made an appt to bring it in..

Sodar
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Read here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17164&highlight=j-hose

There is a red dot on the new hoses that supposedly alleviate the exploding issue.

btriantos
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't recall seeing a red dot on my replacement...perhaps, the guy at the Malibu dealer wanted to give me another bad one for telling him it was going into a Mastercraft!?

bobx1
05-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I blew mine...here is the copy of the recall bullietin but cant remember the link address:

"RTP J-Hose Recall/Service Bulletin

From the point at which the issue was raised, all of the hoses have been tested and identified by a red paint dot on the front of the hose. Hoses on 2007 RTP-1 and MCX engines prior to engine serial numbers137187 should be inspected and replaced as necessary."

medicmoose
05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I brought this up in the "First ride of the season" post but thought I would post in a new thread in case there are others that might see this.

I was out for my first ride of the season. Engine is the 6.0 in a MS200 that uses lake water for cooling. This hose blew and the engine all of a sudden got louder and ran rough shortly after. I didn't notice the engine temp reach any unusual levels and no alarms sounded. Is that to be expected (the louder engine noise) when this raw water intake blows or is it possible that the cold lake water got all over the exhaust manifold and cracked it? Has anyone else had this problem and what was you experience?

How much pressure are these hoses under?

Thanks!

Mr_Woodcock
05-16-2010, 06:36 PM
WOw that did blow up! Good things worked out like they did!

dino
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I am having the same problem on my 04 x-star, really made for a great Memorial Day. Happened 4 times. I checked it every hour and the clamp kept getting loose. Did anyone come up with a good idea how to fix this? Should the hose be replaced with barbed one?

Dutch
06-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Wish I would have read this thread sooner, First time out in the boat this year wake surfing, full balast, full fat sacks and 4 kids on board, the hose blew didn't notice till one of the kids asked why there was water in the back over his feet, pull up and there is 2 inches of water over the floor boards, kill the engine pull up the engine cover and right away notice the exploded hose, Worst thing was that one of the kids is My neighbors son who also happens to own a Malibu, since I am 2 miles from the house I have to make the dreaded call to His Dad to come tow Me in. Pumped it all out with the Fat sac fill pump as it is alot faster than the bilge, and had to endure the Shouda bought a malibu comments and of course a whole bunch of phone pics and videos taken as I am towed in behind the Malibu and getting text messages including the pics from a few other neighbors on their docks. Easy fix just gonna take a while to live that down.

Thrall
06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Wish I would have read this thread sooner, First time out in the boat this year wake surfing, full balast, full fat sacks and 4 kids on board, the hose blew didn't notice till one of the kids asked why there was water in the back over his feet, pull up and there is 2 inches of water over the floor boards, kill the engine pull up the engine cover and right away notice the exploded hose, Worst thing was that one of the kids is My neighbors son who also happens to own a Malibu, since I am 2 miles from the house I have to make the dreaded call to His Dad to come tow Me in. Pumped it all out with the Fat sac fill pump as it is alot faster than the bilge, and had to endure the Shouda bought a malibu comments and of course a whole bunch of phone pics and videos taken as I am towed in behind the Malibu and getting text messages including the pics from a few other neighbors on their docks. Easy fix just gonna take a while to live that down.

Tell him they're both Indmars. His is next! hahaha
What years were affected? Most of the one's I read here are 07's. Is 06 a problem hose too?

Dutch
06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Mine Is an 07 X14 MCX, so it seems to be related to this year from what I have read, they sent me one in the mail right away so was happy with the turn around. Just hope there are no more hoses included in the recall, Does anyone know of any other hoses or is there a site that lists all recalls for all boats that a guy could keep up on any isues before they become an issue.