PDA

View Full Version : Black residue on back of boat.

endl
06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey what do you guys use to clean that black exhaust residue that gets on the back of the boat. I am getting a pretty good build up under and around the platform and need to get it off.

Sodar
06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I use SeaPower Cleaner Wax. It cuts right through it and leaves a little wax behind, so it is easier to clean next time!! West Marine carries it....

http://www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/1-16/176972016.jpg

Ric
06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I like to use the bathroom cleaner brand "X-14" but I am sure other soap scum removers would work. Truth is, you need to wax the boat after you use it but it whacks stains on gelcoat from water and exhaust soot. You MUST wax the boat after it dries from this cleaning. this stuff cuts all wax and all stains (except road tar) :(

endl
06-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes I plan on waxing it good after I clean with anything. Actually I was needing to wax the whole thing and wanted to get that sh__ off before I started.

mayo93prostar
06-20-2007, 01:40 PM
On Off hull cleaner available at west marine and other stores removes stains like this. but it does remove the wax too. it has some kind of acid in it so be careful using it. i usually dilute it in water and put on with brush and then rinse really good.

djpruitt
06-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I just bought a new carb and the tech at skidim was telling me how to adjust it and said if you are getting a black film on the back of the boat the fuel mixture is too rich so you may want to adjust your air screws. (not sure which way, he just said with the engine off turn them all the way in but be careful not to go too tight, then back them out 2 full turns and start from there)

TMCNo1
06-23-2007, 09:31 AM
When a carb has the choke on when you start it cold, there will be some black residue on the transom, because of the rich mixture till it is warmed up and the choke comes off, no matter how the the idle air/fuel mixture screws are set. It just the nature of a carb'd beast.

Ric
06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I just bought a new carb and the tech at skidim was telling me how to adjust it and said if you are getting a black film on the back of the boat the fuel mixture is too rich so you may want to adjust your air screws. (not sure which way, he just said with the engine off turn them all the way in but be careful not to go too tight, then back them out 2 full turns and start from there) I need that skidim guy to talk to my ECM