PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Vacations......

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Thinking about going there next year for 7-10 days. Did a search, but there are so many hotels/ islands to visit, it is a little overwhelming. So who here has been there?? Where did you stay?? What are the must see attractions?? Looking for something Romantic to share with a very special woman.;)

victorff
06-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Is money no object?

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Is money no object?it's always an object. I'm building a new home right now......probably buying an engagement ring......let's be reasonable here guys:D

victorff
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
We been to Maui three times. Could never get tired of it. Do you want to be on the beach? Any children going?

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
We been to Maui three times. Could never get tired of it. Do you want to be on the beach? Any children going?NO kids.....consider this a honeymoon/ wedding vacation. Definately want to be on the beach:cool:

thomas.w.williams
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I lived on Maui for a while... I can probably answer any questions you have about that island... I have visited a couple of the islands and Maui is by far my favorite. It really depends on what you are looking for in your vacation.. Some people like the big tourist traps but I just like to get away from everything!

JohnnyB
06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Stayed in Honolulu but spent most of our time on the beaches on the north and east shores. Rented snorkel gear and hit several spots around the island at the direction of the folks that worked the shop.

Would probably spend more time on Maui as it is a bit more low key.....honolulu is a big city and it seems like you never get away from it.

CBergerson
06-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Thinking about going there next year for 7-10 days. Did a search, but there are so many hotels/ islands to visit, it is a little overwhelming. So who here has been there?? Where did you stay?? What are the must see attractions?? Looking for something Romantic to share with a very special woman.;)

My wife and I stayed on Maui in the Lahaina area. We did the sunrise bike trip down Haleakala volcano. That is a must-see/do. We also went scuba diving twice and drove the winding road to Hana. The whole trip was awesome and very romantic.

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Sounds like Maui is the island of choice so far. Can you fly directly into Maui?? Where is the Pearl Harbor Memorial??

CBergerson
06-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Sounds like Maui is the island of choice so far. Can you fly directly into Maui?? Where is the Pearl Harbor Memorial??
We flew direct from Minneapolis to Honolulu, then hopped over to Maui. Pearl Harbor is on Honolulu. We didn't have time to make it there. It lost out to lack of time and my favorite brewpub, Gordon Biersch!!

Ric
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Kaanapali on maui is where I went in the 80s havent been there since. LONG plane ride. I believe kaanapali is about 20 miles from Lahaina???

Nice area
Fly to Honolulu and hop to Maui

victorff
06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd suggest Maui. We were married on Muai. We've stayed in Kaanapali. Make reservations for the Old Lahaina luau, take a snorkeling cruise over to Molakini you get food and drink on the ride there. Molakini is a half formed volcano that is great for snorkeling. As far as what to do, we just enjoyed each others company. Lahaina is a cool little town to hang out in. You gotta eat at "Cheeseburger in Paradise" We never wanted to island hop, Maui was enough for us.

CBergerson
06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Kaanapali on maui is where I went in the 80s havent been there since. LONG plane ride. I believe kaanapali is about 20 miles from Lahaina???

Nice area
Fly to Honolulu and hop to Maui

We stayed at the Kaanapali Beach hotel. Lahaina is just a few miles down the road from there. It was a very nice area and the beach was great.

Ric
06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
good call on molikini, I did that with scuba stuff. VERY cool

Ric
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
you go to maui, you stay out of the mountains brah

victorff
06-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Should we tell him about "Little Beach"

Ric
06-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I think we have some Hawaii members on this board, do we not?

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Should we tell him about "Little Beach"nude beach????:D

LakePirate
06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
little nude beach????:D

Only if you are there.....

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I have allways wanted to visit Kamaniwanalayu. :D ;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I have allways wanted to visit Kamaniwanalayu. :D ;)
Ooo! what Island is that on???:confused: :popcorn:

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I've done two vacations on Kauai. Two weeks each time. We stayed in Princeville at a family members timeshare.

I really like Kauai. Depending on what you want to do, it can fit almost any needs. My first trip was a honeymoon, and the second was just a vacation. They've got good sightseeing (Jeep tour of Wiamia Canyon...the grand canyon of hawaii, NaPali coast...great snorkeling, but take the hard-bottom boat, not the Zodiac's...trust me), the beaches are actually very nice down near Poipu. Restaurants around the island are excellent...stay away from the Luau's :noface:

I can remember a few places for food that were pretty awesome. The first was Roy's in Poipu. Another is the Kapaa Fish and Chowder House in Kapaa. There's also a nice place called Tahiti Nui in Hanelei. We also ate at the Bali Hai at Hanelei Bay Resort...

If you like snorkeling or surfing, you'll get that, too. And if you golf, The Prince Course and the Makai Course are excellent! I rented clubs while I was there.

Both times I went was in June, and it rained like hell in the afternoons. So much rain that we couldn't get from one end of the island to the other. I rented an open top jeep on the first trip (whoops...) but a small "normal" car for the second.

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Isn't that on SDSU Island?

th518
06-19-2007, 08:22 PM
We go to Maui every summer. If you can afford it stay at the Grand Waillea. Its awesome!!! Check it out online.

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Mahalo :D :D

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
This might be a stupid question, but aren't you closer to the Carribean?

What about St. Vincent, or Palm Island, or BVI (do they really have virgin's there :rolleyes: )

If I had to pick a place with the best beaches and fewer tourists, it wouldn't be Hawaii...

Mag_Red
06-19-2007, 08:46 PM
This might be a stupid question, but aren't you closer to the Carribean?

What about St. Vincent, or Palm Island, or BVI (do they really have virgin's there :rolleyes: )

If I had to pick a place with the best beaches and fewer tourists, it wouldn't be Hawaii...neither of us has been to Hawaii

JohnnyB
06-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I've been to both Hawaii and several of the Bahamas/Virgin/Carribean Islands. Our next trip will be back to the Carribean because of shorter flights, lower cost, less people, nicer beaches....IMHO

As far as other Hawaiian Islands:

Komoniwanalaya
Ikindliketapokya
Ilikitkindakinki

:D

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 08:54 PM
neither of us has been to Hawaii

Check.........:wavey:

victorff
06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
If you stay in Wailea you will be closer to the two beaches!!!!!!
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/SF_SecretBeaches/SbMAMakena.html

G-man
06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I just spent a week in Kaui. 3rd time to the island first time with the wife. She had never been to any of the Hawaian islands. In thirty years it was our best vacation by far. Not cheap but a great vacation. If you decide to go there let me know.

Footin
06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
NO kids.....consider this a honeymoon/ wedding vacation. Definately want to be on the beach:cool:

Wedding???????????? are we all invited??????????

How bout a small ceremony at MagMania!

th518
06-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Stay at the Grand Waillea. Its unreal!! We got married in the chapel there in 1994. We go to Maui every summer for 2-4 weeks and love it over there. We usually stay in Kaanapalli in a condo. Papekea Condos are way cool and great location too. Very reasonable for families.

trickskier
06-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Mag, I've been there 3 times.................I'll PM you tomorrow.........:D

LakePirate
06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Wedding???????????? are we all invited??????????

How bout a small ceremony at MagMania!

UMP is a clergyman, he can do the ceremony.

Slinkyredfoot
06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Mag, Honeymoon????
Been to the Hawaiian Islands several times...they are each so diverse and beautiful in every way...you will enjoy wherever you go.

Maui is still my favorite, I like the area around Lahina the best, If you do go to Maui, make a definte point to get up very early one morning and drive to the Haleakala crater for sunrise, sea level to 10,000 feet in 40 miles.... magnificient, the drive is paradise and the crater will take your breath away, literally...so so cooool.

Monte
06-19-2007, 10:40 PM

In a super hero cape:cool: :rolleyes:

WTRSK1R
06-19-2007, 10:43 PM
We flew from Chicago to St Louis, and then American had a non-stop to Maui from St Louis. We stayed at Kaanapalli beach in a condo. Had a fabulous trip. We were there for 7 days, and never felt like we needed to go to another island. In fact, I would like to go back because we did not do a few things I wanted to. I would definately do the snorkel trip to Molekini. We also took a "raft" trip in and out of the lava flows around the island. The "raft" was actually about a 25 foot v hull aluminum boat with a rubber raft tube all the way around the outside. Had a center mounted console kind of like the CSX with a big ole outboard on the back. What a ride. Nimble enough that they actually pulled it part way into a natural Lava cave, but tough enough that we hammered our way back across close to 10 foot seas. I was way up front on the way back, and the captain was workin the throttle up one side of each wave, and then riding back down the other side with a minimal slam. We snorkeled during this trip too. There was even a school of dolfins that swam right up to the side of the raft and the captain offered to let us jump in and swim with the dolphins. Very cool. All in all, one of the best trips my wife and I have taken. :D

06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
TRU DAT!:cool: I am myriad of talent.

You can get married in my church, the Church of Everlasting Rock n' Roll. In the Parish of Saint Nugent, our lady of blessed Amplification.

06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
In a super hero cape:cool: :rolleyes:
Well, I havent done that......yet:cool:

betsy&david Harrison
06-20-2007, 12:12 AM
We flew from Chicago to St Louis, and then American had a non-stop to Maui from St Louis. We stayed at Kaanapalli beach in a condo. Had a fabulous trip. We were there for 7 days, and never felt like we needed to go to another island. In fact, I would like to go back because we did not do a few things I wanted to. I would definately do the snorkel trip to Molekini. We also took a "raft" trip in and out of the lava flows around the island. The "raft" was actually about a 25 foot v hull aluminum boat with a rubber raft tube all the way around the outside. Had a center mounted console kind of like the CSX with a big ole outboard on the back. What a ride. Nimble enough that they actually pulled it part way into a natural Lava cave, but tough enough that we hammered our way back across close to 10 foot seas. I was way up front on the way back, and the captain was workin the throttle up one side of each wave, and then riding back down the other side with a minimal slam. We snorkeled during this trip too. There was even a school of dolfins that swam right up to the side of the raft and the captain offered to let us jump in and swim with the dolphins. Very cool. All in all, one of the best trips my wife and I have taken. :D
Skip the trip to Molekine....the snorkling is great just up the road a bit from Naplii (Sp?). There is a neat little beach that you have to hike down to to get there. There were tons of beautiful fish and even turtles!I have heard from friends that Halloween is a gas in Lahaina.

Leroy
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
We stayed on Maui 19 years ago at the black rock Sheraton. Good snorkeling there. THey had huts by the beach that were really great to stay in.

Make the trip to Hana, definitely go see the north shore, surfing and windsurfing is incredible in season, nude beaches south of Lahaina. I didn't do the volcano ride (Molikini?) too much like work.

Leroy
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I had many lay overs from Taiwan on Oahu and it is fun but more tourist and better to just go there to do something, surfing, windsuring, scuba, etc. Not quite honeymoon quality of Maui in my view.

betsy&david Harrison
06-20-2007, 12:27 AM
The trip to Hana is a long journey! I was eaten alive in one of the forrest stops along the way. We ended up going to the 7 Pools and then all the way around and found a little winery/shop. That was fun. I agree about the trip to Molikini...all the barfing people...that was a real treat. I had to take dramamine so I wouldn't suffer the same fate. Fell fast asleep as soon as I got in the car.

captain planet
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
For what it is worth, my wife and I went to the Oahu and the Big Island for our honeymoon. Oahu has like 250,000 registered vehicles on it and is basically a traffic jam in the middle of the Pacific. If you go there, see the Pearl Harbor Memorial, go to Hanauma Bay to go snorkling (definately worth it), and go to Dukes Canoe Club restaurant on Waikiki Beach for dinner (really really good). Other than that Oahu is a waste of time.

We went to the Big Island for 4 days. Really beautiful place. We drove around the island and saw most of it. The highlight for me, being a geologist, was taking a helicopter ride over the volcanoes and the waterfalls on the east side of Mauna Loa. Best $375 I ever spent and would do it again in a heartbeat. Volcanoes National Park is there as well. I could go on for days about that place. We drove down Chain-of-Craters road to where the lava flows empty into the Pacific. It was AWESOME! We would have liked to stay on the Big Island for the whole honeymoon and we would have liked to have MORE TIME there. We came home and realized we really only spent about 1 day on a beach:( . Oh well, next time we'll know better.

NeilM
06-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Mag, I'd go with Maui, too. We went to Honolulu in Dec/05 to run the marathon and then to Maui this January to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

While Oahu was cool (Pearl Harbour, the north shore for surfing, scuba diving, great beaches, hiking the diamond head), it was a more hurried pace (and more expensive) than Maui. I would have liked to have stayed longer.

Anywhere on the west side of the island of Maui is great. If you're into scuba, definitely hook up with 'Extended Horizons' -- they're based out of Lahaina [ http://www.scubadivemaui.com/ ] -- they did a fantastic job.

If you're planning on a condo vacation in Maui, make sure you hit the Costco on your way out of the airport... you'll pay way less for your groceries and booze than you will once you cross the island to where the resorts are...

But Slinkyredfoot is right - each island is different and will appeal to a different lifestyle.

shepherd
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Maui has everything you'd want to see. I'd recommend the Wailea or Hookipa (Paia, north shore) area over the Kaanapali/Lahaina area to stay. The west end - Kaanapali - is just a big tourist trap area and it's the farthest away from the other attractions like Hana and the volcano. Wailea is lot less crowded. The Hookipa area is where the surfers and windsurfers hang out, and it's right at the foot of the volcano. But there's no big resort hotels there if that's what you want.

Since money is an object, you should look into a condo or house rental. The hotels like the Grand Wailea are EXPENSIVE. If you really want to get away from it all, stay in Hana.

Ric
06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
the travel agent was the mother of one of the people who went to lahaina with us.

we got off the plane and she said, "guys, this is the arid part of the island, you don't have to worry about it raining while you are here"

I swear to you that "this is the arid part of the island" became the phrase of the year, because it rained at least once every friggin day we where there... it even rained on us in the rental car from the airport to kaanapali! hahahahh It would only rain an hour or so each day but "arid"? no

Cousin_Jeff
06-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I literally was in Maui last week. It was fantastic. We stayed in Makena at the Maui Prince. It definately was a lot more laid back compared to Kapalua / Kaanapali area. We enjoyed going up there for dinner but also enjoyed coming back to the Waialea / Makena area.

I agree that Molikini is a good trip and so are the lava flows of La Parus(sp?). We did a trip in the "raft" that also went to Molokini. So you kind of kill 2 birds with that trip. The company was great and I understand they are the only company that goes to La Parus. They even took us to the backside of Molokini which I understand is not normal for snorkel trips.

I recommend eating at Sorentos. GREAT food and GREAT view.
If you are a golfer, go eat at the Plantation House at Kapalua. Great views of the 18th while you eat and great food.

We were there for 6 nights / 7 days. I have all the information about what we did on each day, what companies we used (I would recommend all of them), and approximate prices. If you are interested, send me a pm and I can share with you.

One note of caution: If you take the bike ride down Haleakala, be sure and NOT use the company that has red buses. They are the only company that goes farther than the others and you have to pedel all they way into Paia. All the others stop much short of that meaning you don't have to peddle at all. As soon as gravity stopped pushing us down the hill, our tour was over. It was great. We saw the other company coming in later and they looked tuckered out.

Cousin_Jeff
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh, one other thing, if you are a golfer, use Stand By golf to book your tee times. They saved me literally hundreds of dollars. The guy has great recommendations of the courses and saves you a lot of money. He also can book twighlight rates earlier than offered to the general public.

Cousin_Jeff
06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Were any of you in Maui last week? I saw a guy with a Team MC shirt getting into his car at one of the stops on the road to Hana. I tried to catch him but they were already pulling out of the parking area. You just never know when you are going to see a fellow TMC-er.

sizzler
06-21-2007, 12:04 PM
i have a friend called steve who lives there.....his surname is mcGarrett.........anyone know him??

06-21-2007, 12:04 PM
i have a friend called steve who lives there.....his surname is mcGarrett.........anyone know him??
I believe he hans out with Dano.