PDA

View Full Version : What Am I doing Wrong?

hokiecharlie
06-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I need some advice from you slalom experts out there. I am trying to get to where I can ski the course. I had access to a course for the first time ever for one day last year. The best I could do was four bouys at 15 off/28mph, so I've got a ways to go. Starting out this year, I seem to repeating the same mistake in free skiing where after cutting through the wakes I somehow manage to stop the ski dead causing me to go flying head first out of the ski. This is starting to hurt! From what I've read before I think I may be making a common mistake, but rather than searching all over, I thought someone here could set me straight.

east tx skier
06-19-2007, 10:18 AM
From someone who has had a lot of out the front falls, you are breaking at the waist, which probably means that you were pulled out of position somewhere before the wakes. Concentrate on holding the handle to your boat side hip right out of the turn. Square your shoulders to the boat. Soft, bent knees, and roll your ankles forward (push your back knee toward your front knee) to get that ski in the water, which will hopefully be on edge as opposed to flat.

I'm far from an expert and I didn't stay in any particular hotel. But I've spent the last five years undoing 25 years of bad habits and have had lots of professional instruction. Progress is slow, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

If you have a good ski school within an hour or four of you, it's money well spent.

hokiecharlie
06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks. That makes sense.

pilot02
06-19-2007, 10:35 AM
One of the big mistakes I see people make is trying to have a sharp turn around the bouy and the strongest part of their pull as they complete the turn. Skiing should be a fluid motion. Strongest pull should be as you cross the wakes directly behind the boat, then force your back knee into your front which will move you forward on the ski and keep your shoulders, butt and ankles in line while slowing you down and setting you up for the turn. The turn should be nice and gradual with a nice lean into your pulling stance as you finish the turn and therefore set up for the pull through the wakes. Done correctly, you should be way outside of the turn balls and turning in towards them as you approach. Pick a point either on the shore or ahead of the ball as your point to turn. Only use the ball as a reference as your getting close otherwise you'll ski right to the ball and be late every time.

Tourney Team 197
06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Pilot02, you're right on. Keep pulling all the way until you cross the wake. At that point, set yourself up for the next ball.

Jesus_Freak
06-27-2007, 02:51 AM
I need some advice from you slalom experts out there. I am trying to get to where I can ski the course. I had access to a course for the first time ever for one day last year. The best I could do was four bouys at 15 off/28mph, so I've got a ways to go. Starting out this year, I seem to repeating the same mistake in free skiing where after cutting through the wakes I somehow manage to stop the ski dead causing me to go flying head first out of the ski. This is starting to hurt! From what I've read before I think I may be making a common mistake, but rather than searching all over, I thought someone here could set me straight.

You sound exactly like me. The advice you have read from pilot and ETS is exactly what I struggle with trying to focus on. I am frustrated as well.