PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone successfully dried out an ipod?

suedv
06-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I forgot to empty a pocket and I just washed my phone and ipod. I'm frustrated with myself about this one! :mad: :( I know phones usually dry out with time, but how about an ipod?

This could be an expensive load of wash.

Willski
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Whoops. I have not tried washing an ipod, but we did drop our Canon Elph in the lake last year. It did not fare well. Hope you have more luck with the pod!!

tex
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I forgot to empty a pocket and I just washed my phone and ipod. I'm frustrated with myself about this one! :mad: :( I know phones usually dry out with time, but how about an ipod?

This could be an expensive load of wash.
How much do Air Supply songs cost?

Leroy
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Bake in the oven at ~150 degrees for day or more. If you can open it up even better. OUr oven would only go to 170 and that is what I used.

My son took his cell phone in a hot tub and I had to bake it 3 times before it was OK long term.

Soaking in Isopropal alcohol would be good also before baking.

Hoosier Bob
06-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Go to a Cellular or Pager store. They have this stuff they flush them out with. I have had it done on other stuff a few times.;)

tones03
06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
I have washed my ipod. I let it sit for a long time, couple weeks. Then I tried turning it on, didnt work, so I plugged it in and it worked, still works fine now. Goodluck.

tones03
06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
I have washed my ipod. I let it sit for a long time, couple weeks. Then I tried turning it on, didnt work, so I plugged it in and it worked, still works fine now. Goodluck.

TMCNo1
06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
When I wash mine, I use the gentle cycle and I am careful to not use bleach if it is in with colors! Then dry it in the delicate mode!

betsy&david Harrison
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Funny, I just saw a clip on the groovetube about this. Gal said to use a hairdryer on the cool setting.

suedv
06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I have my phone and ipod sitting in my car. It seems like a warm spot for them to dry. I hope it isn't too warm. This has me so annoyed at myself.

betsy&david Harrison
06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey, if you can dry your own herbs this way, then why not your electronics too...just not in direct sunlight...right?

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
What kinda "herbs" you dryin Betsy??? :rolleyes:

I've had pagers, cell phones, and key fobs in the water. Rinsed them in alcohol and then dried in the sun or oven set on low. I think I'm 2 for 3

suedv
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM

I've had pagers, cell phones, and key fobs in the water. Rinsed them in alcohol and then dried in the sun or oven set on low. I think I'm 2 for 3

What does rinsing them in alcohol do for them? I didn't do that. Is it too late to rinse them? Its already been about 12 hours since I fished them out of the washer. At this point is it worth getting them wet again?

If I use alcohol what do I use, rubbing alcohol?

Maristar210
06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
I've never dried anything out for more than a few days including myself ;) . but I have seen the stick it in the oven at 180 dg trick work on a laptop before....

Good luck Sue...

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
What does rinsing them in alcohol do for them?

Alcohol displaces the water, and then evaporates. Should prevent corrosion of components. I don't know that the alcohol rinse really helps, but somebody told me it did, so I've used it in the past.

It's like with swimmer's ear. I use alcohol ear drops if I get water in my ears...

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM
How much do Air Supply songs cost?

That's just funny. :D

Maristar210
06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
That's just funny. :D

As Paul tries to hold back the urge to .......................................(family site)

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey, if you can dry your own herbs this way, then why not your electronics too...just not in direct sunlight...right?

WHAT?????

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Gee thanks Tex, thats all we need......conjuring memories of Air supply songs..... the videos were even worse.

Maristar210
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I thought this was the official Eddie VanHalen you need to get to rehab thread.....????

sorry Sue.....

suedv
06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Rick if you're reading this you'll will know what to buy for my birthday if these don't get better. ;) You have a few days to figure this out. :D

betsy&david Harrison
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Oregano......;)

Jwhitsett1129
06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I am pretty sure I dried it out successfully, it just never came back to life...:rolleyes:

suedv
06-24-2007, 10:29 AM
My phone works great now. You'd never know it got wet.

My I ipod will sync up and it plays music. However, the display is black so there is no way of knowing what it will play. So does that mean it's a shuffle now?

bigmac
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Alcohol displaces the water, and then evaporates. Should prevent corrosion of components. I don't know that the alcohol rinse really helps, but somebody told me it did, so I've used it in the past.

It's like with swimmer's ear. I use alcohol ear drops if I get water in my ears...

For drying electronics, one would need to use anhydrous alcohol, or at least denatured alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is about a 70% solution and it needs to be 98% if possible. Denatured alcohol (make sure it's not denatured with MEK), absolute alchohol etc is best. 190-proof ethyl alcohol (grain alcohol) will work and is non-toxic. The idea is to displace water and wash away mineral deposits because even if the phone/iPod dries completely, those mineral still have the possibility of shorting the circuit board when it's finally powered up. So, the alcohol soak has to be used immediately, right after the battery is removed.

Be aware that such electronics have water-detection devices installed (white round sticker that turns pink, usually, if water hits it) and if they're triggered, the device's warranty is totally void.

The pictures indicate that water seeped into the LCD display. That means that, at the least, that display is a suffle. Although I confess I don't really know what a "suffle" is....;)

tuffenuff
06-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Tooo funny! My wife did the same to my son's IPod. Believe it or not, Apple replaced it. Awsome C/Service!!!

suedv
06-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Tooo funny! My wife did the same to my son's IPod. Believe it or not, Apple replaced it. Awsome C/Service!!!

Did they know it was washed in the washer? I've seen lots of stuff on the web (like in Bigmac's post) where people have tried to return it, but because the internal thing that show it was wet got activated Apple wouldn't work with them.

atlfootr
06-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I once dried out a Nokia cellphone, it fell in the h2o about 1/2 foot deep for a minute ...

TX.X-30 fan
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Did they know it was washed in the washer? I've seen lots of stuff on the web (like in Bigmac's post) where people have tried to return it, but because the internal thing that show it was wet got activated Apple wouldn't work with them.

My neighbor has a whole roll of those little white dots. ;) :D

bigmac
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
My neighbor has a whole roll of those little white dots. ;) :D
Those mfgrs know that trick. It would very unusual to find an electronic hand-held device with only one moisture indicator these days.

He might be able to drop his phone in the toilet and claim warranty as long as he replaces ALL of the little white dots, not just the one in the battery compartment. He mustn't forget the one on the underside of the main board, or on the back of the LCD display, and wherever else the mfgr has hidden them.