PDA

View Full Version : Volt Gauge Quits

lawdcdpc
06-18-2007, 08:03 PM
About an hour into towing and my 2002 X-10 volt meter dies. For the rest of the day, it does not register any volts. However, no indication battery is low or with starting. Normally, once out of water and rested, volt meter works again. Also, when no volts are registering, radio turns off.

Any suggestions on problem with volt meter and radio turning off.

TX

wiltok
06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
I have been having intermittant gauge problems for years. I'm guessing it's a loose ground or something - right now my oil pressure gauge is not working (pretty scary). Mine usually clear up in a week or two...

jchance
07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Same problem on a 2001 Maristar. Voltage meter ONLY will quit then restart another day!

cwright
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I have been battling wierd guage issues since I bought my MC last year. Its an 88 PS190. I believe it has a lot to do with the daisy chain approach to ground every thing in series as opposed to a well grounded terminal strip. My volt meter sinks below 11 when I run accessories, but my multi tester confirms I still have 13.6 while running due to alternator. So I guess I am to ignore my volt meter. i would replace it but believe a new one would do the same thing. I'm not sure about this but I believe since my heater fan is on the far right, it has gone through 5 or six guages by the time the power and ground lead daisy chain their way to that switch. So when I turn it on it shows a big draw on voltage. I also notice my other guages bounce when I turn things on. If I turn my blower on, my oil pressure goes up 4 pounds????? etc etc. Assuming its safe to continue running with all this going on, I'm creating a winter project of running terminal strips behind my dash panel and wiring each guage and each ground individually. That my two cents. If my radio quit working I would pull my dash and look for a loose wire, or loose screw on the accessory plug on the ignition switch. Good luck and don't leave the dock with a good toolbox and a multi tester. I am wondering if MC offers a velcro conversion kit for the dashboard. Mine comes off after every day on the river to fix some new electrical bug.

sortloff
08-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I've been having the same problems with gauges on my '01 Prostar 209. Last night the temp gauge and the fuel gauge were not operating a few minutes after launching. Then this morning they're working again. I tried everything I could think of last night, jiggling wires, tapping sender, gauge, etc., then it fixes itself overnight?? Anyone have ideas?? Its really frustrating to loose your fuel gauge right when you head out on the lake (with half a tank). This has happened with other gauges before and they're all working at the moment.

Thanks for any advise! Steve.

Tom023
08-23-2008, 09:51 PM
There are many threads discussing gauge problems in boats around 2001. Could be several things but MDC ground, bad MDC, or the gauges themselves are the main causes for intermittent problems. I struggled for years but finally fixed them at MC's expense with a new MDC and all new gauges.

bturner2
08-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm having the same problem listed in the thread, volt meter and temp. I'll be going to the dealer after the season is over for a fix as I've tried all the tips without fixing the problem. Some days they're fine others I lose the volt meter and on bad days I lose the volt meter and temp. I'm told the dealers now have a tool that will tell them exactly which gauge is bad or if it's the MDC. We'll see.

sortloff
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback! At least I'm not alone.