PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to powder coat or paint grip rails?

djpruitt
06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I have a 1988 ps190 and the black paint on the side grip rails has peeled off. The remaining paint does not want to come off even with light sanding so I am concerned that spray paint will not stick and appear uneven. Does anyone have any suggestions for refinishing these rails or do you know if you can order chrome replacements? Same question for the air vents on the front port/starboard, engine cover, and rear of boat. I got all the paint off of these and tried to polish the aluminum but it still looks dull.

BrianM
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a 1988 ps190 and the black paint on the side grip rails has peeled off. The remaining paint does not want to come off even with light sanding so I am concerned that spray paint will not stick and appear uneven. Does anyone have any suggestions for refinishing these rails or do you know if you can order chrome replacements? Same question for the air vents on the front port/starboard, engine cover, and rear of boat. I got all the paint off of these and tried to polish the aluminum but it still looks dull.

I repainted all of the vents on my old '88 with some Rustoleum Satin Black. Looked great and held up relly well for the 2 more years I had it. Use a little heavier sandpaper on the rails to get the rest of the paint off and then do the same with them.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I powdercoated my vents, swim platform brackets in 1991 and they still look like they were done yesterday.

Where in the SE are you?

endl
06-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes powdercoat it will give the best wear and longevity. If you want that stuff chromed just find a good chrome plating place and send it off in the off season.

djpruitt
06-18-2007, 05:09 PM
I am located northeast of Atlanta, GA on south end of Lake Lanier. Does anyone know of a place around here who does powder coating?

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I am located northeast of Atlanta, GA on south end of Lake Lanier. Does anyone know of a place around here who does powder coating?

Just look in the yellow pages under "Metal Finishing" and/or ask around any speed shop, streetrod or custom motorcycle shop and they can guide you to the right people.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 05:26 PM
This is the guy (David Brown) I use, http://www.uniquecoatings.com/index.html
And the NASCAR Modified that I letter and sponsor. The entire car except for the fiberglass hood is powdercoated.