PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel for 1988 PS190

djpruitt
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Any suggestions for where to order a replacement steering wheel for a 1988 ps190? It is bolted on with 8 allen bolts.

pram
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I would try one of the dealers on here. I know that there is one hanging on the wall in out local MC dealer here in Kelowna.

EFiles
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Read through the "My 1990 PS 190 Restoration Diary" thread. There is some good info around page 7.

Also do a search on "steering wheel removal". TMCNo1 has some good advice for getting the old one off.

Been looking into doing the same thing myself.:D

EFiles
06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey prambold, just noticed that you're from Kelowna, BC. I watched "Ice Road Truckers" last night on TV (I think on the History Channel.) There were 4 guys on the show from Kelowna. I knew I had seen someone on the board from there. Not to threadjack or anything.;)

BrianM
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
You will probably be able to find that wheel local autoparts store. It is just a Grant wheel.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Any suggestions for where to order a replacement steering wheel for a 1988 ps190? It is bolted on with 8 allen bolts.
It is NOT held on by the 8 allen head screws. The 8 allen head screws only bolt the front ring and 2 spokes and the black plastic ring between the rear ring and the 2 rear spokes. It is held on by 3 bolts under the center cap to the hub that is bolted with 1 big nut to the steering shaft.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Most any speed shops and chain auto parts ( Advance, AutoZone, etc.)carry these Grant replacement steering wheels. Do a advanced search using the words "Grant Steering Wheel".

BrianM
06-18-2007, 03:28 PM
It is available from Jegs for $43.99 It is the Grant 414 Challenger,

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_23748_-1

[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_23752_-1"]
(http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_23798_-1)

O2BESOHUGE
06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Autozone Has The Same One Made By Grant For $39.99...i Found It After I Bought One From Jegs.com

O2

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
To get the center cap off, take a small screwdriver and pop it off the clips and then take some tape with the sticky side out and stick to the cap and pull it slowly out of the hole, if not you will be at it for hours trying to get it out. Remove the 3 bolts and washers and it comes off the hub.

djpruitt
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
TMCNo1, thanks for the heads up on the installation/removal. Glad to hear that before I started trying to remove the wheel. I am planning on lubing the steering cable and have read some of the threads to know that the grease will, or should, pump back out the other end. Is there a difference between regular grease I use for automotive/lawn equipment and waterproof marine grease? I thought all grease was pretty much waterproof.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
TMCNo1, thanks for the heads up on the installation/removal. Glad to hear that before I started trying to remove the wheel. I am planning on lubing the steering cable and have read some of the threads to know that the grease will, or should, pump back out the other end. Is there a difference between regular grease I use for automotive/lawn equipment and waterproof marine grease? I thought all grease was pretty much waterproof.
There are only three zerk fittings to grease and they are under the rear floorboard near the rudder, One on the rudder port, one on the aluminum tube and one on the pivot on the bracket off the strut bolts The grease does not flow thru the entire cable that I know of. I have just always used the Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing Grease because it is marine specific for obvious reasons.

djpruitt
07-17-2007, 10:38 PM
The new steering wheel did not come with the retaining clip ring. I tried to straighten out the old one and use it but it does not appear to be holding the center cap on tight. Frequently when I go through some rough waves the cap pops loose and rattles. Any suggestions for making this a tighter fit?

Also a few of the allen bolt heads on the new wheel started rusting after 3 days, any suggestions for preventing this?

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 06:43 AM
The new steering wheel did not come with the retaining clip ring. I tried to straighten out the old one and use it but it does not appear to be holding the center cap on tight. Frequently when I go through some rough waves the cap pops loose and rattles. Any suggestions for making this a tighter fit?

Also a few of the allen bolt heads on the new wheel started rusting after 3 days, any suggestions for preventing this?

If you bought the steering wheel retail, take it back to where you bought it and get one that does. Replace the screws (1 at a time) with S/S allen head and washers. Do not take them out all at once.