PDA

View Full Version : Engine troubles

justinxstar
06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm having trouble with a 2005 x-star with an 6.0L engine. It runs well for any random length of time and then cuts out. Usually it will start back up after a few seconds, but sometimes not for a half hour or more. There is no engine buzzer sounding when this happens. It seems similar to a fuel pump problem from last year but when I replaced the pump this year, the result was Nil. I am suspecting an ignition or sensor problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Justin

PendO
06-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Bump ...........................

Storm861triple
06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Usually it will start back up after a few seconds, but sometimes not for a half hour or more.
With the information posted so far, anything suggested at this point will only be a WAG.

What needs to happen first is that you need to do some testing to find out what of the three required elements for combustion, is missing; air fuel or spark.

I think we can start by assuming that it's getting air, since it does run. You need to run it until it does the symptom where is just won't start, then test for spark and check for fuel pressure. Very easy to to, and one of them will be missing.

mbeach
06-18-2007, 10:05 PM
With the information posted so far, anything suggested at this point will only be a WAG.

hey storm, that would be a swag please, aka scientific wag, as we called it when i worked for fla dept of nat res. storm's suggestion of checking fuel and spark are good and easy places to start. good luck

Leroy
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I would start by checking the fuel pressure when it will not start.

BigBarney
06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I had the same exact trouble from my boat since I put her in the water a couple of months ago. No consistency - I would be running along and she would cut out. This weekend I tracked it down to the fuel pump plug. Put some dielectric grease between the plugs and the problem was solve.

I found it by turning the key on and listening. Finally determined the pump was not priming (you'll here a whine back near the engine). Hope this helps.

3event
06-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Check your battery cables, make sure they are good and tight. On a prior boat with an outboard we had a whole summer like this, and it turned out to be momentary loss of contact at the battery terminals. Computer shut down the motor every time, then it would start back up. All sorts of parts including ECM and voltage regulator were replaced before the proper diagnosis was reached.

justinxstar
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll go out this evening and try the dielectric grease and pick up a fuel pressure gage on the way.

Justin

Storm861triple
06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Pick up a spark tester too. It makes checking spark much more easy (since you won't get shocked), and more accurate; you can clip the "ground" clip to the tip of a spark plug. That way, if you see a spark jump in the spark tester, you KNOW that you're throwing a spark in the cylinder under compression too.

justinxstar
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I had the same exact trouble from my boat since I put her in the water a couple of months ago. No consistency - I would be running along and she would cut out. This weekend I tracked it down to the fuel pump plug. Put some dielectric grease between the plugs and the problem was solve.

I found it by turning the key on and listening. Finally determined the pump was not priming (you'll here a whine back near the engine). Hope this helps.

Thanks BigBarney!!! I think that eventually I would have figured that out, but you saved me vast amounts of aggravation! I think the plug is too corroded to save, but I'm going to try cleaning it out with WD-40 and then reapplying the dielectric.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.