PDA

View Full Version : M-240, new skins, carpet, etc.etc.

mwd
06-18-2007, 12:02 AM
I have had it for about a year now and replaced the upholstery, carpet, bimini (made a ridged frame for it) and built surfboard racks for 2 boards under it. I powder coated the tower. I installed a new deck with an ipod hook up and two remotes, 6 amps, 2 JL subs, NVS tower speakers and 3 blue tops to keep it running. I built the tower video camera mount and installed a video screen on the dash with a remote for the camera to power up/down, pause and zoom. I built in an ice chest in the ski locker. I installed auto ballast with 3 sacs. 2 in the trunk and a fat seat under the side seat I made. We all surf regular.
For the engine I installed a MSD distributor and spark box, new carb and high output alternator. I took off the handrails at the swim platform and raised the platform a couple inches. I installed turn down exhaust, filled in the slots on the swim platform and installed carpet inside the engine cover to quiet it down a little. Needless to say I was busy but it was worth it. M.

mwd
06-18-2007, 12:06 AM
here is a few more

mwd
06-18-2007, 12:08 AM
just a couple more

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peason
06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Very nice, can we see a pic of the profile of the boat, out of the shed?

mwd
06-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Here are a few before the new upholstery

dpolen
06-18-2007, 08:45 PM
WOW...those speakers are huge!!! I bet those get really loud and make riding behind the boat a lot of fun.

3event
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow, that's a serious amount of work. Now you've got a REAL nice boarding/surfing machine that can carry the whole neighborhood along. That thing got a big block in it? Great job, now go enjoy it and report back!

mwd
06-19-2007, 10:05 PM
3event,yes, a HO 454. Thank you all for the kind words. We go out every weekend, and enjoy it we do. Best part, we own it. No payments. Payments are the only thing keeping me from a new X-45. That and the kids. I am very particular about my boat and I wouldn’t be able to relax with the kids in a new $80,000 boat. M.

wesgardner
06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Did you do the carpet yourself (great color/texture choice - I'm really liking it - if you'd like to share it, I'd like to copy)? I'm working up to that stage very soon - probably the end of this season...

Great boat!

PaulW
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice job, you put in a lot of work but it turned out great. Nice that its paid for.

mwd
06-20-2007, 10:13 PM
wes, yes I did the carpet myself. It was tough because Mastercraft installed the carpet inside the bottom half of the boat from front to back and then put the top half of the boat together. All the fiberglass seat bases were sitting on top of carpet so pulling the carpet out in one piece to trace was impossible. Putting it back was even tougher. I had to jack up the seat bases to slide the carpet underneath. Try doing that with a 25' piece of carpet and adhesive everywhere. I am happy with the way it turned out. If you know anybody that needs the factory “ice chest” let me know. Thanks, M.

wesgardner
06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Masterfully done! I've spent a few hours pondering the "how to's and why for's" of just how MC did the original carpet and came to the same conclusion - one bear of a job once the boat's built...my hat's off to ya!

Once this season's complete I'll look into it - I store my boat "under the big top" (pvc ridge pole/blu poly tarp) with enough headroom to walk around so I'll at least have a somewhat habitable workspace.

Right now a big part of my carpet alonf the port side is/was completely gone and has been removed but the gelcoated deck under it is REALLY hot (mine's black) and REALLY splippery when wet!

If you can recommend glue, etc. I'd appreciate it..

Once again - great job! Dunno how many of these boats are left but they do make a decent wakeboat/surfboat when weighted.

On another note - I bought my boat about four years ago - apparently it had been reskinned (with factory skin) not too long before I bought it as it still looked pretty new - it has since developed the pinkish-blotch-from-hell syndrome and has not held up well - I keep it covered but it's still gone down hill pretty quickly, particularly the "trunk" lid and engine cover where we've "worked" loading and unloading boards/folks/etc. - unfortunately when it was reupholstered the original foam was used which has broken down somewhat - so there's yet another project - did you do your own upholstery as well?

Wes

mwd
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Wes, Yes I did the upholstery myself. Well, everything but the sewing. I striped the skins, replaced the foam and stapled the skins back on. I purchased an upholstery air staple gun, 30,000 stainless steel staples and 6 yards of the black nylon sun shade screen for the bottom of all the seat cushions still saved myself about a grand. It Cost $2000.00 for the new skins material and labor. I had him throw in 5 extra yards of material and I sewed up the side seat cushions on the wife's sewing machine. Wait a minute. Did I just admit that on a public forum? I opted for 1 solid color, white, but used the same patterns. Decided to get rid of the 80s look. I had most of the new foam; otherwise it would have cost me another grand.

When I stripped the carpet I was also surprised to find black gel coat.
I used henrys outdoor carpet adhesive on the floor and sides so I could shift the carpet around after I placed it. I used the waterproof contact cement on the pieces i wanted to dry fast like all the removable floors and inside the engine cover. The new carpet is thicker and it folds down the sides of the floor at the removable sections in the center of the boat and the centerpieces are aluminum so you can't shave them down. Needless to say they were a tight fit. The big center piece was the worst because the top half of the boat is sitting on top of it so getting it out and putting it back was tough. It took 75 lineal feet of 6-foot wide carpet. The biggest piece left over was 20"x 20". It took me 2 solid weekends and a couple weeks after work just on the carpet and this was the 4th boat i redid the carpet on. If you send me your email address i can take some better pictures this weekend and email them to you. I had it from another site but the hard drive it was on quit. Good luck with the projects, M.

wesgardner
06-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Yep,

I've done some sewing myself...to me a sewing machine is a miracle piece of equipment when considering the alternative...

My e-mail address is wesgardner@comcast.net

Thanks for all your help.

MS240
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm late coming on board and agree wholeheartedly with the above compliments. My 90 MS240 doesn't look half as cherry as yours. It's the gray/black with teal pin strip and 454. By the way, is the storage box next to the motor box-driver side the original factory accessory? SOmeone broke in half the front black curved plexiglass cover on mine and I'm seeking a replacement and/or advice on how to fix it. If the tower can accommodate slalom skiing, was there anything special you had to do to secure it to the gunnels? We're still using the 7 foot pole on top of the pylon for wakeboarding. Central VA. Walt M.

MS240
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, I can use the factory ice chest, if not too late. THis reply in addition to one just sent to you. I missed your earlier comment on it. Walt M.

milkmania
06-13-2008, 12:38 AM
mwd,

that is the nicest restoration I've seen to date.....
you can really see the attention to detail

I know you had a long road ahead of you...
I've got my skins done, and half the old carpet pulled.
have to get the skins installed, and the carpet replaced:o

dapicatti
06-13-2008, 01:18 AM
That is one beautiful boat. Congratulations on a job well done.

H20skeefreek
06-13-2008, 07:09 AM
......... I installed turn down exhaust,......

Do you have any pictures/details on this part?

Boat look great by the way.

lawless1
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I can't add much to what the others have said but wow, you did a great job. Especially doing all of the work yourself. I recently referbed a Maristar, but cheated and hired out the carpet and upholstery.

rholmes
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I just wish the guy would have done somthing unique or a little different. Kind of ho-hum. Just kidding....

That does look really nice. There are not very many of us Maristar 210/240 owners out there from 90-94. The only boats that don't have the 3 skegs underneath and the weirdest ski platform support system. Rockin'!

rholmes
06-13-2008, 01:58 PM
MS240, you aren't likely to get a reponse from him by posting in here. His DLA was September of last year. You might be better of emailing him.

milkmania
06-14-2008, 12:14 AM
MS240, you aren't likely to get a reponse from him by posting in here. His DLA was September of last year. You might be better of emailing him.

good point, I missed that too:o

milkmania
06-14-2008, 12:16 AM
1990 Maristar 210... rescued from the Maryland Coast! Projects done I've listed them below and please feel free to ask me a question if you need help or want some tips/pointers

Projects done to date:
Holley 4160 Rebuild
Teak Restoration
Serious Gelcoat work
Carpet removal
Replaced front Bow Lift Ring
Rebuild Motorbox Cupholder

Projects to Do:
Apply New Decals
Replace gaskets/seals in Transmission
Replace Radio

I see you rebuilt your vent/cupholder

edit: mine is a '91 PS190

got any pics?
really contemplating fiberglassing the recessed area for the vent, and adding billet grills, and leaving the original holes for the cupholders

brucemac
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
WOW! nice work!

clean!

puck_11
06-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Excellent work, very impressed!

MS240
06-22-2008, 10:34 PM
RHOLMES, tHanks for the tip. How do I get his email address? THere's a 210 here at Lake Anna. Walt M.

scubajeff
07-06-2008, 02:19 AM
2 quick questions, did you happen to make patterns of the upholstery pieces and what does one use to get up glued down carpet? Mine has been replaced, but done cheaply and now it needs to be replaced. lovely.

And, of course, beautiful work, i love the solid white.

lkind regards,

Jeff 90 240, 454, dimension tower, polk/clarion sound

BAMAVRS225
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey,

How did you build the cooler in the ski locker?? I have a useless ski locker in the floor of my VRS225..BAMAVRS225.