PDA

View Full Version : Minivan Advice - Honda Odyssey?

Ben
06-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I said it - we're getting one... Family size & practicality are hard to argue. Anyway, I'm selling my truck & getting a van and will take over the wife's car. I need something that has the ability to tow the 205 if we want to go on a trip (2x / year max). Other than that, the boat is on a hoist.

Looking to spend in the $15K range, and '04-'05 Honda Odyssey's seem to fit the bill. I've had good luck with honda accords in the past, and I'm scared to get a used dodge. We're from Ohio, so yes, I can live in detroit and buy a honda. JUst don't tell anyone. The Odyssey tow rating will cover me exactly (3500 lbs).

Anyone have one of these, or a recommendation to make of something else to look for? I may be able to get a deal on a lease for a dodge through a friend, but 2-3 years old is really looking like the answer.

Thanks.

phecksel
06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Wait for the '08 Chrysler, they've made some impressive improvements.

Wait for the early '09 Ford Flex, that car is going to be unbelievable, and will have a impressive towing capacity.

tex
06-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Did he say, Minivan Advice on this MC site?

skibrain
06-17-2007, 11:31 PM
We have an '05 Ody that we bought new. The LX at $25K is the better buy IMHO than the EX or touring as it has the same engine size/hp (although no cyl. deactivation for the 1-2 mpg claimed highway increase), same size tires, anti-lock brakes, 7 airbags, Vehicle Stab. control - all standard. We also did NOT want the power doors and electronic climate control.

Honda warranty requires the towing package if you put ANY kind of a hitch on the the '05. This is a $1280 affair that includes a tranny cooler, alternator and a variety of under car airdams to help route air to the above items. An ouch and something to keep in mind if one you find does NOT have the tow pkg.

With 255hp it is plenty quick. Actually fun to punch it at stoplights and surprise a few folks. I tow a much lighter boat. (1200 lb w/ outboard + trailer. I'm still under 2,000 lb even with gear). If you drive aggressively around town the mileage is 15-16. We've done trips loaded down (no trailer) driving 75 - 80 mph and had 24 mpg easy which I think is great.

If you pull a loaded inboard @ close to 3,000 lb you don't have much capacity left for people and gear IN the vehicle.

We had a 96 Caravan for 10 years. It had it's problems (like needed a new tranny and some alternators) but there were a few things on it I liked better than the Honda - even with the 152 hp 3.3 V6. We ordered one when new and got the HD suspension which was a bit stiffer shocks and roll bars. I think the steering and handling on it was nicer than our Honda. The used Chrysler products are a great buy and have a similar tow rating I believe.

We'll probably keep the Honda for 10 years so it will be interesting to see the comparo. of repairs and resale at the end. (our Dodge was only worth about $3K after 10 years so we gave it to a relative).

skibrain
06-17-2007, 11:32 PM
i was going to say Glastron, but I figured my post would get deleted.

Leroy
06-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Love the odyssey, but never towed with mine. It has more HP than my LX470!

TMCNo1
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Around here, you have to have a 1500 Chebby to tow a Red Radio Flyer wagon.:rolleyes:

Archimedes
06-18-2007, 02:10 AM
My wife drives an 05 Odyssey Touring. Great minivan, but no way I would tow anything (other than maybe a closed bow sub 19 foot ski boat) with it. It could never tow our X-1 safely, which is essentially a 205 with a tower. It simply will not be up to the task.

Jesus_Freak
06-18-2007, 06:01 AM
We have an 07 and like it very much. Of course the EPA was highly confused when they posted the mileage expectations, as they seem to be with many vehicles these days, so dont believe it. We have never tried to tow with it, but have used our older minivan (yes, I am a two minivan-man) for towing.

Ben
06-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Around here, you have to have a 1500 Chebby to tow a Red Radio Flyer wagon.:rolleyes:

I know, and I had that covered and then some, see pic. However, if it's big truck OR house on lake.... we'll get the minivan every time..

BTW, anyone interested in a clean '97 F350 Diesel?

Thanks to the others for the tips. I'm aware of the tow package, and would try to work that in with the deal if we get a certified odyssey from a dealer. Still no 100% sure I'd tow with it, but would like to know I could if need be.

92 190 PS
06-18-2007, 07:51 AM
We have a Honda Pilot and while I hate to admit it I must say it's basically a Odyssey with an SUV cover. We tow our PS190 with it and it does great. Not sure there is all that much difference in weight from our 190 to a 205? I know my brothers X-9 and my boat are relatively close in dry weight (obviously the width and height of my boat help when towing). IMO if you're only doing it a couple times a year the Odyssey will do the job just fine. Good luck.

jraben8
06-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Yea, I got nothin'...

TX.X-30 fan
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Where is Ric, since he has not noticed this thread yet I will have to take over.

This thread is so GEY. or

Die Thread Die. :mad: :D ;)

Prostar in Michigain
06-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Go with an 02 suburban by chevy great car big and great of towing

MIMC
06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Ben - Why stuck on the Honda? So close to Detroit with a market that is flooded with American product - why not reconsider GM, Ford, DCX? Personally I believe you will get a better "tow vehicle" (as good as a mini-van would be) with an American made mini-van and possibly save some $$$. I.E - I have a 2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette, tow package w/ rear air suspension, 3500 lb towing capacity. I use it to occasionally tow my 2000 PS195 - no problems! Just something to consider....

jwchapman
06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
American Made? - Not to start the American/Japanese argument, but the Odyssey Minivans are made in Lincoln, Alabama. Less than 5 miles from my lake house. Both my lake next door neighbor and my step-brother in-law work there. Both talk (and occasionally gripe) about the strict quality control on the line for whatever that is worth.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/906/releases/3831 (Note: The John Chapman mentioned in the article is not me)

Ben
06-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Ben - Why stuck on the Honda? So close to Detroit with a market that is flooded with American product - why not reconsider GM, Ford, DCX? Personally I believe you will get a better "tow vehicle" (as good as a mini-van would be) with an American made mini-van and possibly save some $$$. I.E - I have a 2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette, tow package w/ rear air suspension, 3500 lb towing capacity. I use it to occasionally tow my 2000 PS195 - no problems! Just something to consider....

I have had GREAT experience with used honda accords as daily drivers. I like to stick with what works.

I am shopping around though, last night we were looking at '05 Caravans. They can tow a bit more, but the towing package (different suspension) seems to be a bit more work to add on, which may be an issue. Since I'm buying used, I'd prefer to buy one that hasn't been a tow vehicle yet... Defintely cheaper than the honda, but I'm still a believer of "you get what you pay for".

No, I'm not starting the Honda vs. big 3 debate. Just had good experience with a brand, thus they are high on my list. It's that simple.

TMCNo1
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Surely not, who in their right mind would tow a Mastercraft with a Mini Van,
-Factory Towing Package rated @ 6000 lbs, 4.3 V-6/160 HP, 4 speed Automatic w/Overdrive, hitch, 7 wire harness, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, heavy duty alternator, 3:73 Positraction rear wheel drive, composite rear springs, 27 gallon gas tank...................
-21mpg w/o boat
-15.8mpg towing the boat over 30,000 miles
-Never spun a tire pulling the boat out of the water

They would have to be crazy, that is what I was told 19 years ago,

prostarrocks190
06-19-2007, 08:40 AM
i tow a 1993 mc prostar 190 with my '07 Dodge Caravan all the time,40 miles back and forth to Lake Tarpon and it tows like a dream. I have the 3.8 v6 with the tow group and we usually pack in 7 people and go. Never, ever had a problem at the ramp.Actually if anyone is familar with B.A.W.S's ramp at jims place, which is VERY steep it pulls it right out with no spin or struggles. This is my 4th caravan and i have towed with all of them and never had an issues at all,never had tranny or engines problems '87,'91,'98.'07. good luck..but on the HONDA make sure you get the tow pkg form the dealer my friend has a '06 and he added a hitch from uhaul and he voided his warranty on a tranny issue he had...btw the hp rating on the honda is 248. They got slapped on the wrist by the gov't for overstating there hp on there engines along with other car companies.

Leroy
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Get a rental for those 2 trips?

Also, check on the Honda message board, you will get a lot more info on towing with Hondas

MIMC
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I have had GREAT experience with used honda accords as daily drivers. I like to stick with what works.

I am shopping around though, last night we were looking at '05 Caravans. They can tow a bit more, but the towing package (different suspension) seems to be a bit more work to add on, which may be an issue. Since I'm buying used, I'd prefer to buy one that hasn't been a tow vehicle yet... Defintely cheaper than the honda, but I'm still a believer of "you get what you pay for".

No, I'm not starting the Honda vs. big 3 debate. Just had good experience with a brand, thus they are high on my list. It's that simple.

Ben - I know you are not trying to start the Honda vs. "Big 3" - it was not my intention either! I just thought since you are so close to Detroit, and the used car market in Detroit is so flooded with the "Big 3" product, just thought you might be able to find a used "Big 3" with towing package on it already. That's all I was getting at. :)