PDA

View Full Version : My SilentMaster Leaks, what should I do?

djkslc
06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
It's a 91 Maristar 210 with a 454. I have read a few post saying to ditch the silent master and take the exhaust straight out the back. I know it would be louder but is there any back preasure issues? Will it run the same with an exhaust straight out the back, or will I be tunning it forever? Any help would be great, I hate worrying about the silentmaster all the time.

jackpita
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
91 maristar 210 with the 351. silent master started to leak, was spongey to the touch around the leak. bought a small kit of "marine tex", black. mixed it up, spread the marine tex around the leak and spongey area...and has held for the past 2 summers and 250 hours.

Chief
06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
It's a 91 Maristar 210 with a 454. I have read a few post saying to ditch the silent master and take the exhaust straight out the back. I know it would be louder but is there any back preasure issues? Will it run the same with an exhaust straight out the back, or will I be tunning it forever? Any help would be great, I hate worrying about the silentmaster all the time.

No backpressure issues, less the better. Just loud, it will be cool for a couple of times but I'm sure you will come to hate it. Go to www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) and look at some of their options. I belive they have a replacement for you.

TMCNo1
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
No backpressure issues, less the better. Just loud, it will be cool for a couple of times but I'm sure you will come to hate it. Go to www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) and look at some of their options. I belive they have a replacement for you.

A friend of ours with a '90 MariStar 210/351 had his crossflow SilentMaster start leaking and replaced it with 2 inline mufflers instead. It was not any louder, but he said it did run a little better.
Part # 0912, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025

Chief
06-17-2007, 07:12 PM
A friend of ours with a '90 MariStar 210/351 had his crossflow SilentMaster start leaking and replaced it with 2 inline mufflers instead. It was not any louder, but he said it did run a little better.
Part # 0912, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025

Nice Avatar #1

rasmithaz
06-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I've got a barely used 06 silentmaster in the garage if you want to replace yours.

Chief
06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I've got a barely used 06 silentmaster in the garage if you want to replace yours.

Hey how's the project going? I haven't heard from ya!

ogrover3
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
i have a 91 prostar 190 and took out the silent master went to napa and bought 3' of 3" hose and cut off the 2 elbows of the silent master and put 1.5' of hose on each side and used the elbows to make the hard bends. it is a little louder in the back but not that bad. total cost was around $40

rasmithaz
06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey how's the project going? I haven't heard from ya!
This boat is not in the best shape but I like it. I'm slowly but surely getting into it. We have taken it out 3 times and I love the engine and hull. Carpeting, upholstery and Tower are in bad shape. It's a hundred times cleaner then it was when you where helping me out. I got everything serviced we were talking about. Now it's going to be Time and Money - you know the story. I have a lot of questions now ranging from Stereo to Bunk replacement. I'm spending more time looking around the Board trying to get ideas and direction. I really appreciate your help. thanks

JohnnyB
06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Grind down the area with the cracks and reglass it!

99xstar
06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I did just as JohnnyB said. Sanded the leaking area and used a cheap wallyworld fiberglass repair kit. Does not leak anymore.

Prostar Rich
06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I had the same issue on my 1990 prostar 190. I just ditched the muffler and ordered exhaust hose from DIM. This was a simple fix and it eliminated a known problem area. Sound wise it is louder but not objectionable.

Prostar Rich