PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues. Coil Problem??

jrcarte78
06-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I have an 89 TriStar w/ 351. It has points--no electronic ignition...yet. I changed my plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, and rotor yesterday. Now the boat will not start. It will crank as long as you want it to but it's not getting any spark. It seems like the problem is in the coil. I have tested the coil w/ a multi meter/engine anylizer and the coil tests fine. Also, my new wire running from the coil to the distributor tests fine. The boat ran fine when I started it on Thursday to change the oil. Something I did yesterday has thrown the electrical system off. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JimN
06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
You didn't say anything about your points. Is the gap/dwell correct and the points not burned?

You didn't inadvertently knock the lanyard off, did you? It happens. Make sure the wire from the coil to the points isn't shorting to ground. Remove the wire to the tach and see if it starts. It's the grey one and should be on the negative coil post.

jrcarte78
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
You didn't say anything about your points. Is the gap/dwell correct and the points not burned?

You didn't inadvertently knock the lanyard off, did you? It happens. Make sure the wire from the coil to the points isn't shorting to ground. Remove the wire to the tach and see if it starts. It's the grey one and should be on the negative coil post.

Thanks Jim, sorry for no description of the points. The points looked o.k. Not great. After trying to find replacement points yesterday(with no luck) I will be ordering the electronic ignition. So, the points that were in it went back in. Gap on the points is appx. .039. How can I check the dwell w/o the motor running?

Lanyard is attached. I removed the tach wire and still just cranks. No fire.

Thanks for the response.

JimN
06-17-2007, 08:23 PM
.039" is way too much gap. Get it down to about .020" and see if it runs. Look on one of the valve covers for a sticker with tune-up specs or here in TMC for 351 Indmar specs.

If you change to electronic ignition, you'll still need to check/verify that your timing is correct. They're not all set to the right timing advance.

jrcarte78
06-18-2007, 11:39 AM
.039" is way too much gap. Get it down to about .020" and see if it runs. Look on one of the valve covers for a sticker with tune-up specs or here in TMC for 351 Indmar specs.

If you change to electronic ignition, you'll still need to check/verify that your timing is correct. They're not all set to the right timing advance.

I reset the gap to .020 and still no fire. I'm leaving town this afternoon so I just made an appointment with Ski and Sport to have them take a look at it.

I really appreciate all your help Jim. I'm sure once they look at it and tell me what I did wrong I'll feel like a dope.

Thanks again for all your help.

cbryan70
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
try to get some sandpaper and rub it through the points. It will not fix them but if they are corroded it will tell you if your points are bad. I had to do this last year. Go to napa or auto zone they usually will beable to find the points you need. Thats what i had to do

Willski
06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Any verdict on this issue? Just curious what the problem was.