PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable I think?

rstitson
06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Saw some thing yesterday that I couldn't believe. A man with 4-5 children in his wakeboard boat was setting up to take off with a young child on or at least very short person on a wakeskate/surf board . Short line very close to platform.... Maybe 6-8 feet. I am looking at the platform and bubbles are comming up just like mine does when I have the motor on. With the child balancing the board on the platform he puts it in gear and takes off! I would never put my children that close to the prop inboard or not. The way the child was pushing on the platform if they slipped or it accidently went in reverse there could have been a tragedy. Am I nuts?; or is this standard practice. I told my son; If he is ever in a boat where the driver does this to have him drop him off at the nearest shore and call us.

erkoehler
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I have seen tons of people start surfing from the platform. If you have a driver that knows what they are doing, there shouldn't be an issue.

tex
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Kids, very unpredictible!
Happy Father's Day!

east tx skier
06-17-2007, 11:35 AM
We don't let anyone on the platform while the engine is running, adult or child. We don't start the engine until the skier in the water has shouted "clear."

uawaterskier
06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
i believe when i first learned to ski when i was 3 my mom drove and dad set me on the platform, gave me a little shove, then reeled me out like a fish

peason
06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
I am with Eastie, everyone and all of thier limbs are in the boat when it is running, even if we need to motor out a little to keep from drifting into shore when we are getting our gear on. Too many what if's.

But many years before we had kids - one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed was one of my buddies who barefooted as he stepped off the platform and when he was done he stepped back on the platform and into the boat. I have never attempted this feat myself.

PendO
06-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Saw some thing yesterday that I couldn't believe. A man with 4-5 children in his wakeboard boat was setting up to take off with a young child on or at least very short person on a wakeskate/surf board . Short line very close to platform.... Maybe 6-8 feet. I am looking at the platform and bubbles are comming up just like mine does when I have the motor on. With the child balancing the board on the platform he puts it in gear and takes off! I would never put my children that close to the prop inboard or not. The way the child was pushing on the platform if they slipped or it accidently went in reverse there could have been a tragedy. Am I nuts?; or is this standard practice. I told my son; If he is ever in a boat where the driver does this to have him drop him off at the nearest shore and call us.

Dayum ... the kid was good enough to start from the platform on a surfboard, thta is pretty good ... I will/would let my kids do it, but I would not do it with someone elses kids (even if they signed a waiver - I still wouldn't do it) ... I'm sure it is not exactly safe, but my brother and a few of his friends start this way off our boat ... the cool part is when they can start from the deck and finish from on the deck ... I don't think you are nutz for being concerned, but I have seen a lot more stupidity in people trying to drop a skier near a dock ... IMO

Archimedes
06-18-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't think it's any big deal.

And anyone who's stupid enough to 'accidentally put it in reverse' is probably gonna hurt/maim their kids one way or another.

Except with young kids, I never shut the motor off between sets.

yippikaiyay
07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
What can go wrong, will go wrong.

tcp cocker
07-08-2007, 08:59 AM
its not bad i do it if u do fall the force of the boat moving forward u will not hit the prop unless i/0 which in that case you should not do period. if the boat go's in reverse your going towards the drivers gf's boobs in the boat. i mean you can get hurt if the driver is a complete moron. your fine. id mainly worry about the flat chested girl your going to hit if u do go into reverse

endl
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
"Short line very close to platform.... Maybe 6-8 feet"

How are you supposed to take off if you are wakesurfing? A small child cannot start back further and real themselves in close. Most adults cannot do that.

I taught my son "8 years old" first from the water on the wakesurf board with me so he could kind of get a feel while we were holding onto the rope then I put the board half on the platform while he stood on it and let the wave pull him off slowly.

I think there is a potential for danger in any extreme sport and watersports are extreme. Some are more mild than others but in the end it can all be potentially dangerous.

SaltwaterMC
07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
We start off of the platform all the time and I have never thought twice about it. As long as the driver is responsible and alert I (anyone driving my boat meets this criteria) I think you are fine.

Leroy
07-10-2007, 06:02 PM
This wouldn't worry me, but I am not too big on most rules :)

You could always screw up and put the boat in reverse even when the skier is "clear".

mccobmd
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
In general, if it involves the Phrase "get by with it" at some point in time you won't.

dougl
07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
saw a couple guys surfing behind an outboard this past week, now that sounds dumb to me.