PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain hose too short!

Jerseydave
06-16-2007, 08:20 PM
My hose will not reach the rear transom plug of my '05 X-star to allow me to drain my oil with that hose. (MCX engine) Anyone else have this problem?

My '03 230VRS (MCX engine) was the same way. I had to clamp-on a piece of clear tubing just to drain my oil.

I'm going to buy an oil-suction pump (manual type) and pull the oil out of the dipstick tube.

You would think MC would tell Indmar to lengthen the hose on the MCX by about 12" for easy oil draining.

JimN
06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Personally, I don't like to drain the oil out that way. Draining it by gravity is a waste of time and reminds me of waiting for paint to dry. It happens eventually but there's only so much you can do in the meantime. The suction devices use the rubber hose you want to lengthen, not the dipstick. The fitting on the hose is below the dipstick, too, so it gets all of the oil out.

Jerseydave
06-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Good advise, I'll use the suction pump through the drain hose, not the dipstick tube. Thanks!

Leroy
06-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Mine was just barely long enough to make it out the back drain.

I thought out the back drain hole was a recommended process, if so I would talk with my dealer.

I have used suction through that hose also, otherwise it is painfully slow as JimN says!

onewheat
06-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I just changed my oil for the first time tonight (13.5 hours). What a royal pain! I got my drain hose to fit out the transom plug with a near miss of my forhead on the exhaust manifold. I had my drain pan outside and remove the cap expecting a rush of hot oil - nothing. I then hooked a MitiVac extractor to the drain hose and then began to see some oil with a bit of pumping. I guess 15w-40 is still kind of thick, even when warm, huh? Finally quit getting oil and then had to go wrestle off the oil filter.
Who puts these things on at the factory, Gov. Schwartzenegger? I ended up using a strap wrench with 40 grit sandpaper underneath it for traction after using a few 'spicy' words and a bit of paranoia after reading someone's recent post about having to shred their filter and bend and chisel it off. Popped on a new Mobil 1 filter, filler it up with some fresh oil and decided not to tackle the tranny today too. I still have questions about that one I'll post later. I don't know what their break-in oil is, but it smells like old power steering fluid.