PDA

View Full Version : Engine Won't Start

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
We were out 3 days ago and after 6 or 7 swap outs the boat would not start, and stil hasn't.

2001 Mastercraft X-9 with 330 HP LTR Engine. Have Fuel, Kill switch is working. Batteries are good.

Engine turns over but never catches.

Thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks in advance.

PendO
06-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Do you have fuel pressure ... could be a fuel pump failure ... check the pressure on the fuel rail

We were out 3 days ago and after 6 or 7 swap outs the boat would not start, and stil hasn't.

2001 Mastercraft X-9 with 330 HP LTR Engine. Have Fuel, Kill switch is working. Batteries are good.

Engine turns over but never catches.

Thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks in advance.

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I am new to this boat. How do I check the fuel pressure at the rail?

PendO
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I am new to this boat. How do I check the fuel pressure at the rail?

Hold on I will find a few pictures ... what you are lookign for is where the fuel pump takes its high pressure line to the engine, on the fuel rail there is a valve (looks like the valve on a bike tire) ... take the cap off the valve, if you depress the needle gas will come out of the valve (so hold a towel over it) ... let me look around for some pictures and I will post in about 5 minutes ... also, if you do a "search" look at the terms "fuel pump" and you will find that your symptoms have been experienced by many of us

PendO
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Try this thread and see if it helps:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15770

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/06Prostar197/untitled.jpg

this is not what your boats fuel rail looks like (exactly) but you should have a good start ... also, look at the thread above for info on how to test your fuel pump pressure (if you dont want to do it the backyard way - depress needle on schrader valve)

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks, the pictures really help. I will go try that.

erkoehler
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Is the boat in nuetral?

Do the gauges turn on?

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
The boat is in Neutral.

The gauges turn on when I turn the key.

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
If it's crankin' but not starting you're not getting 1) fuel or 2) spark (I know...I'm a GENIUS:rolleyes: )

A fuel problem is more likely, and it seems that I've heard about fuel problems in the past from others.

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. From reading your responses ans searching for fuel pump failures, I think I have enough info to go back to the boat at start troubleshooting the Fuel Pump. If that does not appear to be the problem I will update my thread.

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh, and WELCOME TO Team Talk...by the way...:toast:

gdtmcs
06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
I just got back from the boat and the fuel pump does not make a sound when I first turn the key, nor is their fuel coming out of the scharder valve, so i think it is probably the fuel pump.

From reading other posts it sound like I should be able to change it myself.

Any advice?

NeilM
06-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Your challenge will be disconnecting the fuel lines, which requires a special tool. If you have one (or access to one) of those, then actually changing out the fuel pump isn't that tough.
You'll find plenty of threads here by people who have had to do it.

Hrkdrivr
06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Dumb non-mechanic question here...

Are the fuel pumps circuit-protected with a fuse or circuit-breaker?

JimN
06-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Everything electrical is protected. The fuses are on the motor and are labeled.

PendO
06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
you should be able to change it yourself ... but you need some special tools for the quick disconnect and you don't want to over-tighten the bolts that hold the the pump into the tank ... the other thing I did was confirm that there was not a problem with getting elecricity to the fuel pump (using a multi-tester on the wiring harness) ... also, I did not use a torque wrench, but I did pay attention to how tight the bolts were to take off - you don't want to srip them out when you put the new pump in ... when you put the new pump in, act like you are putting a wheel on your car (snug them up, then tighten them in in a crisscrossing pattern - i.e. don't just follow around in a clockwise or counterclockwise manner) ...

gdtmcs
06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I got a new fuel pump from my local dealer, and stopped at Kragen Auto Parts to get the Fuel Line disconnect Tool. Once back at that the boat it took about twenty minutes to swap it out.

When I turned the key to the right I heard the sweet sound of the fuel pump priming the lines. It started on the first try.

We spent the next 4 hours wakeboarding and tubing.

Thanks for everyone's help, I would not have had the confidence to do it myself without the tips and photos.