PDA

View Full Version : Golf question...

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
It was too nice to go to the office early, so a few co-workers and I went to the local short course this morning for a quick 9.

We were on the Tee for the 6th hole, and somebody in the group behind us on the 5th Tee yells "fore". We all turn away and duck, waiting for the thump. Nothing happens. We look back, and they aren't hitting, somebody just yelled :mad:

So as we're teeing off, we were watching them since the green is right behind us. The last guy to tee off shanks his shot into the trees. He tees up a "provisional" ball and hits it. It bounces on the green near the flag and drops into the hole :eek:

We all clap, and then one of my buddies yells back "Nice Par" :D

I called the clubhouse later and they told me he said he got a hole-in-one on the 5th. They put his name on the Hole-In-One club board.

So should I rat him out and tell them what happened, or just let it be?

Monte
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd let sleeping dogs lie.. Maybe he'll tell the truth himself. a TWO shot hole in one?

bcampbe7
06-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I would just for principal.

Will it really matter? Probably not...

fintek9
06-15-2007, 02:56 PM
RAT HIM....he does'nt have bragging rights on that one, put him square.......

Monte
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
You, he, and everyone you golfed with today will always know what REALLY happened.

Shows a lot about his character.. I'd see if he takes his own name down.. If not at least you'll know.. I think if you RAT on him, you're not letting him come to the right conclusion..

BTW how many provisionals did anybody else take??

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
a TWO shot hole in one?

Technically, I think it's three. One for the first shot, one for the drop, and the third shot...

Monte
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Technically, I think it's three. One for the first shot, one for the drop, and the third shot...

You're right:o Par;)

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
BTW how many provisionals did anybody else take??

In the other group? None that I saw, but that was really the only hole we watched them on.

I took a provisional tee shot on the second hole because I thought my ball bounced OB. My provisional ball was an awesome drive, but my first ball got a lucky bounce and was not OB, so I played it...

fintek9
06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
man, I've been scoreing myself wrong all these years!!

Monte
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
man, I've been scoreing myself wrong all these years!!

What did YOU do???:confused: :rolleyes: :D

dpolen
06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Nice Hole-in-Three!!!!

Golf is a game about honesty and integrity...rat the SOB out if you feel compelled and want to waste your energy on it...otherwise, its something he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life.

ivectoryou
06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
It was too nice to go to the office early, so a few co-workers and I went to the local short course this morning for a quick 9.

We were on the Tee for the 6th hole, and somebody in the group behind us on the 5th Tee yells "fore". We all turn away and duck, waiting for the thump. Nothing happens. We look back, and they aren't hitting, somebody just yelled :mad:

So as we're teeing off, we were watching them since the green is right behind us. The last guy to tee off shanks his shot into the trees. He tees up a "provisional" ball and hits it. It bounces on the green near the flag and drops into the hole :eek:

I called the clubhouse later and they told me he said he got a hole-in-one on the 5th. They put his name on the Hole-In-One club board.

I was paired up with another single player about 10 years ago and he did the same thing. His first shot on the 9th hole went in the pond (real close to us). He tees up again and pulls a line drive about 30 degrees left of straight, hits an Oak tree, the ball heads for the green, nails the flag stick at a speed of about 5 m.p.h., and goes in the hole. He went to the club house and reported his very ugly par as a hole-in-one. I saw it in the paper the next day.

I never said anything. I kind of regret that.

It won't matter either way.

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2007, 03:33 PM

No question what so ever, you have to set the record straight. Golf is a gentlemen's sport and the is no room for cheating. The whole game is based on honesty and by letting this no good loser get his name in a place of honor in the clubhouse just takes away from all the others with legitimate holes-in-one.

This is just my opinion, I have played this game since I was 8 and have had to turn in cheaters on many occasions and they were never happy about it. I had to turn a kid in when I was 16 at the TX state junior championship.

Never have liked liars, cheaters or thieves and this guy is all three wrapped up in one. :(

fintek9
06-15-2007, 03:41 PM
What did YOU do???:confused: :rolleyes: :D
If I scored like that guy does, I'd have 2 hole-in-one instead of zero...
close but no cigars!:(

ontrider
06-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Leave him a note in his Golf Bag next time he's there and goes into the clubhouse. Write is with random letters cut out of a magazine saying "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID!" :D

dpolen
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Leave him a note in his Golf Bag next time he's there and goes into the clubhouse. Write is with random letters cut out of a magazine saying "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID!" :D

Better yet, if its a private course and there is a lockerroom...put it on the locker. Nothing worse that gossip in the lockerroom/watercooler.

tex
06-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Yes! He probley has a slalom course that has buoys that move in when he skis!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
I now know, you guys take this game way to seriously.8p

If I ever get a hole in one shot, afterwards, I am going to walk off the course and call the game DONE!!:D8p

Harvey
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Technically if he could find that first ball he has to play it. It is not a three unless he can't find his first ball. I would turn him in.

My grandfather would slap me silly for not turning the guy in much less doing that myself. I once used my sand wedge like a crutch to climb down into a deep bunker and I used the club end on the sand. You guessed it 1 stroke penalty for grounding my club in a hazard even though the ball was 20 feet away. It's a gentleman's game, do the gentlemanly thing.

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 04:32 PM
There's no way he could have found the first ball. The woods are pretty thick with blackberries and poison oak.

It was also OB, and marked as OB.

He didn't even attempt to look. He just made his triumphant walk up to the green...

Datdude
06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
No question what so ever, you have to set the record straight. Golf is a gentlemen's sport and the is no room for cheating. The whole game is based on honesty and by letting this no good loser get his name in a place of honor in the clubhouse just takes away from all the others with legitimate holes-in-one.

This is just my opinion, I have played this game since I was 8 and have had to turn in cheaters on many occasions and they were never happy about it. I had to turn a kid in when I was 16 at the TX state junior championship.

Never have liked liars, cheaters or thieves and this guy is all three wrapped up in one. :(

Well said:toast: Cheaters suck

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Well said:toast: Cheaters suck
A bit harsh, don't cha think.
I might be inclined to call it a Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligan);)

ontrider
06-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Golf is no joke. And neither is a tainted hole in one trophy!!! :noface:

;)

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I might be inclined to call it a Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligan);)

A mulligan would be fine with me...I will take one in a round if somebody else does first, or if we ask if we can have one...

If I had hit that shot, I would have put down 3 on the scorecard, but told the story like: "Hey, I hit a hole-in-one today on 5!...well, except that it was my third shot..."

weskix4
06-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Definitely turn him in. Since it went OB it is a stroke penalty and distance. Nice par! Besides, in the past, the pro had to attest the hole-in-one witnessed by at least 3 others. Then the ball & club manufacturers would send a nice plaque. No way this guy deserves any of that. Golf is a gentleman's game and it is up to us and our children to maintain its tradition.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I play for recreation. And I would have called it as I saw it. Yes, it was a 3rd shot for the course and for the scorecard. However it was a single shot into the hole. Therfore technically it was a "hole in one", but as you said, it was a "hole in one" on the 3rd shot.
I don't remember the last time I made it around the course without a cold beverage or 6, so I can't say I haven't taken a fair amount of Mulligans beyond hole 12....Now, had I been playing for $ or in a tournament....I would have called it as you did, a "3" regardless...;)

bcampbe7
06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Is it possible that he asked for a mulligan?

Or, is it possible that he told the clubhouse what had happened and they gave him the hole-in-one honor anyway?

PendO
06-15-2007, 05:11 PM
It really reflects on the people he was golfing with and the course it happend on ... if this were at a CC and he/they pulled this crap the old schoolers would not tolerate it ... if its a muni' .... whatever.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Leave it to Beau,
Answer a question with more questions.....8p

Next time you're in Naperville, We are golfin'...Let me know when. I just bought a case of Pro V1s and I am waiting for my first victim to use 'em on.. It could be you... :D
(I was told the more expensive your balls are, the closer you get to the hole:rolleyes: )

Bruce
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
First of all there is no such thing as a mulligan in golf. Illegal period. Golf is one of the few sports left with integrity. Jerks like this will never be golfers. They are just jerks who play golf. This guy is really pathetic and this may be the only big deal in his life. However, don't be an enabler.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
First of all there is no such thing as a mulligan in golf. Illegal period. Golf is one of the few sports left with integrity. Jerks like this will never be golfers. They are just jerks who play golf. This guy is really pathetic and this may be the only big deal in his life. However, don't be an enabler.

I am a jerk that plays golf, I will accept that.

tex
06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
W4T-Is it a 3 or a 1? .

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Please don't take offence, but any group of golfers may decide to allow so many mulligans in a round or each side. The difference here is that the gentleman(questionable) decided to go into the pro shop and claim a hole-in-one. If in his foursome he took a mulligan on that hole then for their gambling purposes the card would read 1. I have not been able to find any reference to a mulligan in the USGA or R&A rules.

I would have to wonder about the character of his playing partners also, possibly they were all just beginners and did not know the difference but that seem unlikely? :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Very well said Bruce, and thanks DatDude. :worthy:

SkiDog
06-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, only it was me that knocked it in the hole on my 2nd shot. I hit my first ball, not well, decided to drop another one on the tee just to see if I had made the right club selection. Hit it.... good too. Damn ball disappeared. My playing partners told me it went in the hole, I said Nah! Oh yea. Went to the green, sure enough, ball in hole! picked it up, went to the sand trap, hit my ORIGINAL ball. Walked off with a par. Nuff said! Thats what golf is all about!:) To this day, I have NOT ever hit a hole-in-one.

east tx skier
06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Am I the only one here who doesn't even bother to keep score when he plays.

A: By height.

tex
06-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Caddyshack!

M-Funf
06-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Don't underestimate yourself...you're a tremendous slouch :D

tex
06-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Dr. Beeper: I thought you'd be the man to beat this year.
Ty Webb: I guess you'll just have to keep beating yourself.

Ric
06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
My Dad........ Never liked you Judge

tex
06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Carl Spackler: This place got a pool?
Ty Webb: Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.

bcampbe7
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Leave it to Beau,

Next time you're in Naperville, We are golfin'...Let me know when. I just bought a case of Pro V1s and I am waiting for my first victim to use 'em on.. It could be you... :D
(I was told the more expensive your balls are, the closer you get to the hole:rolleyes: )

Will do... It may be a while before I am in Naperville again though. you will have lost all those Pro V's by then.

My brother plays pretty regularly in and around Naperville.

Maristar210
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Leave it to Beau,

I'm in if we can go to the Lantern afterwards....

JimN
06-15-2007, 09:03 PM
If he had actually made a hole in one, I wouldn't say anything but he didn't. He's a lying sack of crap and they should take his name off. If he took the ace in a tournament, he would be DQd, and I don't mean Dairy Queen.

He just wanted to see his name in the paper or on that list and his friends apparently have just as much integrity as he does- NONE!

tex
06-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Did you see that someone shot an 89 at the Open today?

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Did you see that someone shot an 89 at the Open today?

Who was the lucky recipient of the 89. Should be fun this weekend seeing this brutal course make some of these guys look mortal. :o

bcampbe7
06-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Who was the lucky recipient of the 89. Should be fun this weekend seeing this brutal course make some of these guys look mortal. :o

Agreed!

I was looking at the course layout today.

There is a 667 yard par 5 and a 500 yard par 4! :eek3:

TX.X-30 fan
06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Agreed!

I was looking at the course layout today.

There is a 667 yard par 5 and a 500 yard par 4! :eek3:

That sounds like par 6 and par 5 to me. :D :D

tex
06-15-2007, 11:35 PM

152 WALKER, Sam +27 F +19 78 89 167

I would have shot a 176

tex
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I take that back, Tiger said that a 10 handicap could not have broke 100. I would have shot maybe 200!

Datdude
06-16-2007, 01:14 AM

I am not opposed to mulligans during a casual round of golf.....but it is NOT a hole in one then. Bottom line;)

TX.X-30 fan
06-16-2007, 05:46 AM
I take that back, Tiger said that a 10 handicap could not have broke 100. I would have shot maybe 200!

We would have run out of beer before 200.

JimN
06-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Mulligans are usually discussed at the beginning of the round. An ace needs to be attested by others and some places have prizes for a hole-in-one.

TMCNo1
06-16-2007, 10:02 AM
:rolleyes: Do you know this hole-in-one guy? Would you remember him if you saw him again? If so, find him, shoot him in the foot and tell him to buy a MasterCraft, then go watch him launch his new boat on crutches and see if he gets a launch-in-one!8p :D

M-Funf
06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
O.K. So I went to the pro shop this morning before my round. His name was taken off the board. I'm hoping that he went back and fessed up...either that, or one of the other players in his group ratted him out...

Sweet Justice...

M-Funf
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
:rolleyes: Do you know this hole-in-one guy?

No.

Would you remember him if you saw him again?

Nope.

launch-in-one!

LOL...or a launch in three :rolleyes:

JBaker
06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Ummm....a hole-in-one for a par is still a hole in one. It is counted so by official PGA stats. For instance, Fred Couples has 3 career holes in one: one of which was a hole-in-one for par on the 17th at Sawgrass. The guy who you are all calling a liar and cheat, etc. is in the right. Get off his nuts.

M-Funf
06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Ummm....a hole-in-one for a par is still a hole in one. It is counted so by official PGA stats. For instance, Fred Couples has 3 career holes in one: one of which was a hole-in-one for par on the 17th at Sawgrass. The guy who you are all calling a liar and cheat, etc. is in the right. Get off his nuts.

Technically, it was a hole-in-one (he hit THAT ball once, and it went in the hole), it just happened to be on his THIRD stroke...:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
06-18-2007, 07:33 PM

His card that day for scoring purposes read 3. :confused: Think about what you are saying, So I hit my second shot OB on a par 5 get another ball drop it down and sink the shot. Double eagle? or birdie. :confused:

JBaker
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I am not saying he should be carding a 1, and if he did, that is a different issue. However in the realm of accomplishment, not score, this is a hole-in-one according to the PGA, and I doubt the USGA governs any type of statistical keeping that is not related to their sanctioned events.

For the purpose of discussion, if I am in the bunker, chunk it and leave it in, then get up and down, would you credit me for a sand save? I would, and if that were the first hole, I would say I was 1/2 on sand saves for the round. I.e. if that Par 3 was the first hole, you could say he was 1/2 on hole-in-one opportunities.

JimN
06-18-2007, 08:45 PM
A sand save is usually up and down in two shots, not up, up and down. Chunking it and making it in three shots is hardly a save. Going in on the second sand shot is cool and everything but the first shot takes the luster off.

What is your definition of a sand save, and does it coincide with the USGA definition?

TX.X-30 fan
06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
For the purpose of discussion, if I am in the bunker, chunk it and leave it in, then get up and down, would you credit me for a sand save? I would, and if that were the first hole, I would say I was 1/2 on sand saves for the round. I.e. if that Par 3 was the first hole, you could say he was 1/2 on hole-in-one opportunities.[/QUOTE]

That would not be a sand save unless you holed the shot after the chunk and your final score was par for the hole. For instance if you reach a bunker on a par 4 on you third shot and then proceed to get up-and-down for a bogey, that's not a "sandy". If you were to flub a tee shot like 12' then hit a fairway bunker then hit the green and hole the putt wallah sandy.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that there is not much ambiguity when it come to correctly scoring a round of golf. :rolleyes:

Slinkyredfoot
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Golf is a great game that has set rules, the USGA puts out a booklet every year titled "The Rules of Golf", if anyone would like a copy go to www.usga.org and get a copy..

My point is this, golf is a game for ladies and gentlemen that can really test a person's honesty in general. The pros can't cheat because all of the eyes on their actions, not to mention they are professionals.

I, you, and anyone else can use a "foot wedge" for a better lie, forgetting that 3 putt that turned into a 2 putt, and an obvious out of bound shot that just miracaliously, just showed up right inside the out of bound stakes. We, who play golf have all been guilty at one time or another in "fudging" the rules a bit haven't we???
The game of golf truly tests a person's honesty with themselves. I feel a lot better about myself shooting and honest 93 than an 85 with help from "me".
If one cannot be honest with himself, how can he be honest with anyone else.
A ace is a big thing in a golfer's life, I have had one with eight witnessess and what a wonderful feeling. Looks like this golfer in question fessed up and you know what....he no doubt feels so much better about himself... let's hope so..
Enjoy sports and games and it is so much more enjoyable palying by the "Rules" and winning versus the alternative.

SkiDog
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM

What planet are you from?:confused:

Slinkyredfoot
06-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Sometimes we just don't get it...:confused:

Maristar210
06-18-2007, 11:50 PM
What planet are you from?:confused:

I agree. Card a three and post a hole in one?

I don't ****ing think so.....

JBaker
06-19-2007, 03:27 AM
I don't really care how you guys are scoring at home, but incase you are wondering: if Tiger tees off on a par 3, hits it in the bunker, leaves it in the bunker, and then gets it up and down that would count for 1 missed sand save and 1 successful sand save. Hell, he could hit his 8th shot in the bunker and then get it up and down for a 10 and that counts. A sand save has no relation to par.

SkiDog
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't really care how you guys are scoring at home, but incase you are wondering: if Tiger tees off on a par 3, hits it in the bunker, leaves it in the bunker, and then gets it up and down that would count for 1 missed sand save and 1 successful sand save. Hell, he could hit his 8th shot in the bunker and then get it up and down for a 10 and that counts. A sand save has no relation to par.

Let me ask this question again...What planet are you from?!:confused: Call it anything you want, but where I come from, a sand save is scoring par after hitting into a SAND trap!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
"This only proves one thing Andy."

"whats that Floyd?"

"If you want to get a good suit, you gotta go to Mont Pilat."
:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Wait until you have your buddy a couple of shots down and he has sprayed a few balls. Then on the next tee box ask him before he hits if he inhales or exhales on his back-swing. this simple question should turn you a nice profit by the end of the day. :D ;)

Be sure not to dwell on this during your own shots. :D

Ric
06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Good Thread Good Thread

Maristar210
06-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Skidog should start a poll...

Mars?

nope

Pluto?

nope

Uranus?

I'll leave it up to you.............:D

Bruce
06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Wait until you have your buddy a couple of shots down and he has sprayed a few balls. Then on the next tee box ask him before he hits if he inhales or exhales on his back-swing. this simple question should turn you a nice profit by the end of the day. :D ;)

Be sure not to dwell on this during your own shots. :D
Been there, done that! Also concede short putts all day until he needs it then go silent. Not only has he not practiced one all day but he is totally hot that you are not giving it to him.

TX.X-30 fan
06-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Been there, done that! Also concede short putts all day until he needs it then go silent. Not only has he not practiced one all day but he is totally hot that you are not giving it to him.

That is an excellent addition Bruce. :D Hopefully this person would be a brother-in-law. :D

M-Funf
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Dang...that's nice :rolleyes:

I'll be using that tomorrow...

dmayer84
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Was it the golfer here by any chance?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/19/golf.fire.ap/index.html

fintek9
06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Gawd, I love this game!!!:popcorn:

JBaker
06-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Let me ask this question again...What planet are you from?!:confused: Call it anything you want, but where I come from, a sand save is scoring par after hitting into a SAND trap!

Feel free to check out pgatour.com. Click stats then sand saves. At the bottom of the rankings you will find this in regards to the definition of sand save:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/111.html

The percent of time a player was able to get 'up and down' once in a greenside sand bunker (regardless of score). Note: 'Up and down' indicates it took the player 2 shots or less to put the ball in the hole from that point.

I hope you are man enough to admit when you have made a mistake.

Ric
06-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Is it simply the subject of golf or do I sense an air of mean spiritedness ? The kind normally reserved for politics or religion chat?

Hoosier Bob
06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Sorry so late but a hole in three like was stated. I play with weak sticks, foot wedges and bad calculaters all the time! Flame them!;)

I go back and read now!

Maristar210
06-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Feel free to check out pgatour.com. Click stats then sand saves. At the bottom of the rankings you will find this in regards to the definition of sand save:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/111.html

The percent of time a player was able to get 'up and down' once in a greenside sand bunker (regardless of score). Note: 'Up and down' indicates it took the player 2 shots or less to put the ball in the hole from that point.

I hope you are man enough to admit when you have made a mistake.

There is a perception of what is appropriate and then there are the rules. This is a gentlemans game. If you claim a hole in one after shagging one I hope you'd be man enough to realize the number one means one, not three. You could recite PGA rules from the highest mountain but I would suspect you would be hard pressed to find someone who would agree with you. A mulligan equals a schlep.

Auburn fans are much different. Usually they have kin in close proximitey...

I am not impressed. Next thing your going to tell me is we can all fly over the Mackinaw bridge because the surface is really not there.....

All in all you get a big STFU... Which means Sure To Franklin Upman

betsy&david Harrison
06-20-2007, 12:43 AM
I love Robin Williams interpretation of the game of golf:D :D

M-Funf
06-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, we were back on the course again this morning, and guess what? One of my co-workers hits a hole in one on the 5th (par 3, 128 yards, 8 iron). Beautiful shot. Once bounce before it dropped into the cup. There's no living with him now...:rolleyes:

Here's a picture of him taking it out of the cup...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p3038556582751d194a81c52e8cdd0d45/e8ee3015.jpg

tex
06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Hole in one or a hole in three?

M-Funf
06-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Hole in one or a hole in three?

:uglyhamme One. No Sheet... It was truly a beautiful shot!