PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues...

ssippiriverrat
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a 79 that for some reason recently will not even turn over. I checked the battery....good....bought a new solenoid.....good.....and checked the starter.....good. I cleaned most of my connections esp the ground and all look in fine shape. When I charge up the battery and try to start all I get it one click out of the soleniod and then nothing--on further key turns i get nothing out of it. Usually, the battery seems to have been drained somewhat after I try to start it as my lights don't even work then.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I don't really know what the kill switch does--could it be a problem with that?

Thanks

TMCNo1
06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I have a 79 that for some reason recently will not even turn over. I checked the battery....good....bought a new solenoid.....good.....and checked the starter.....good. I cleaned most of my connections esp the ground and all look in fine shape. When I charge up the battery and try to start all I get it one click out of the soleniod and then nothing--on further key turns i get nothing out of it. Usually, the battery seems to have been drained somewhat after I try to start it as my lights don't even work then.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I don't really know what the kill switch does--could it be a problem with that?

Thanks

It should still turn over with a bad kill switch, but the ignition has no fire.

boxman3
06-14-2007, 08:25 PM
The Kill Switch will let the motor turn over, just won't run...
Is the motor turning at all??

ssippiriverrat
06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
no, starter isn't even turning--all I get is one click with the solenoid and then nothing at all on repeated key turns--it is almost like I have a huge short somewhere

boxman3
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Can you use a breaker bar with a socket on the front of the motor and besure the motor has not seized.... You might have to pull the waterpump off.

ssippiriverrat
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
i don't have a breaker bar but I don't think the motor has seized--I would guess I would get more out of the engine than a quick click from the solenoid--I am taking out the main battery cables in hopes that maybe they are just old and corroded--they look very gross--I will let you know what happens when I replace these

Ski Dog
06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I have an 84 S&S and had the same issue last week. Everything (solenoid, cables, starter, ignition etc.) worked fine when tested independently but when the starter was installed on the motor I would only get a single click with the turn of the ignition. Turns out the click was not coming from the solenoid but from the starter. The magnet was not fully engaging so the armiture would not power up and turn the flywheel. I swaped the starter out for a new permantent magnet style and the problem was solved. My flywheel is a little chewed up and wasn't allowing the gear to come out and fully engage on the old starter.

$150 buck for the starter at my local alternator/starter shop.

85S&S_Keuka
06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Is the power completely dead in the boat after the "click"? If so, bad battery conections will do this. Is there a spark coming from the positive battery terminal when you hear the click? Can you get another click out of it by removing/replacing the battery terminals, or just wiggling them on the posts? If so, get new cables, or at least put new ends on them - you only have a few good strands making the connection.

ssippiriverrat
06-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Ya, I am really starting to think it is the battery connections like you said, I get a spark at the battery but then I get nothing--if I unhook the terminal and rehook and get another click--plus the neg is really hard and inflexible--water might have leaked in there--some idiot that changed my oil a couple of years ago just let the oil leak into the bottom of the boat and I never was able to clean it out that well--so the cables have been sitting in oil/water mix for a while

I have a large positive cable--i went to my local auto parts store and they don't have anything as large as this cable--does anyone know where I can get another? Can I use a smaller positive cable?

ssippiriverrat
06-26-2007, 01:54 AM
So, I changed out the neg battery cable and put an new one on--and bam it started right up--seem it was a poor battery connection after all--cleaned the oil out of the bottom as much as I could as well

Thanks for the help
Erik:)

txrapaz
06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
It should still turn over with a bad kill switch, but the ignition has no fire.

Is the kill switch you mention the same as the 40amp breaker? Im working on an 83 S&S turns over but no spark, Im thinking it might be the 40 amp breaker any ideas? Ive already changed the coil, points, cond. cap & rotor, and ballast resistor. Ive got fuel and compression, just no spark. Anyone have any sugeestions?? please.

WilliM1940
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Kill switch is not the 40 amp breaker. Have you confirmed you have voltage to the primary side of the coil? If not, start working backwards from there.

txrapaz
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
yes it has power at the coil, just no spark. I called skidim Im going to upgrade to electronic ign. and replace the coil and plug wires. see what happens.

txrapaz
07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Electronic ignition, new coil it fires right off!!
THANKS for the help.