PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on boat

TheOneandOnly
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I am looking for advise on which boat would be best for me. I am looking for a universal boat that would be good for wakeboarding, skiing, tubing and sometimes fishing. Im new to this if anyone can give advise I'd appreciate it.

Chief
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I am looking for advise on which boat would be best for me. I am looking for a universal boat that would be good for wakeboarding, skiing, tubing and sometimes fishing. Im new to this if anyone can give advise I'd appreciate it.

No Mastercraft should ever be fished out of (CSX exempt). My father cannot reason why I would not fish out of my boat but then again his boat wouldn't pull a wakeboard.

rstitson
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I fish out of an x-15... off the rear platform... but it isn't an fishing boat. the best fresh water fishing boats are outboards with shallow draft lift up the motor and use a trolling motor when neccessary. That said I like the inboard better than the stern drive for a number of reasons personal to me. Better high speed handling, rear platform. Quality of master craft. smooth transmission and the ability to do water sports better and safer than the others. But the inboard does need a attitude adjustment plate other wise you will be with the bow too high at low speeds with a wakeboarding boat when only cruising. A ski only boat will not do well in rough water. Our x-15 does well in rough water as I am sure the x-45 and most likely the x-30 will. Most people will tell you that the stern drive is the best all around drive with some wear and tear issues.

TheOneandOnly
06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
thanks rstitson I will be doing very little fishing however I'd like to once in a blue moon. Which I could use the teak platform for that as well. What is altitude adjustment plate?

east tx skier
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
The Pro Star 205 will do all those things and more.

Chicago190
06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
An inboard will be able to do the first 3 anywhere from good to great depending on what you choose. If you think you will be doing mostly slalom with some of the others then I'd go with something like a Prostar 195/197 with a tower and ballast. If you want to do family cruising, wakeboarding, and tubing then a X-series or Maristar would be the better choice. All are about the same for fishing, meaning you can put a rod and tackle box in them but you won't have the ability to go into shallows that a stern drive fishing boat will.

The same applies to all the popular inboard boats just different boat models for each company.

rstitson
06-15-2007, 06:33 PM
The attitude adjustment plate is like trim tabs only in the center it pushed the stern up bow down in the process of providing a wake more sutiable for skiing. Above skiing speeds you really don't need it. but cruising in the low to mid 20's or high teens it makes it much more enjoyable.

SkiDog
06-15-2007, 08:28 PM
The Pro Star 205 will do all those things and more.
So will my X-30, and its fer sale too!:D Check the marketplace.

Leroy
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Everyone hates to admit it, but that teak platform is great for fishing!

Leroy
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
How much do you want to spend?

TheOneandOnly
06-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Umm of course as little as possible but Im looking around 50k, im kinda skeptical about buying used since who knows what its been through. I like mastercraft alot (i.e. looks, style, etc) but you'll pay for it as well. It sucks that they keep going up every year in price.

Datdude
06-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Last Summer I was sitting out on the lake hanging out and a guy in a Moomba went past with a bunch of fishing poles sticking up. My first reaction was to laugh...which I did for a short time (you just don't see it that often). The more I thought about it I realized that I would rather fish out of a ski boat than ski behind a fishing boat. If I were to fish occasionally I would not be afraid to do it our of my boat....just keep the muddy worms off the carpet:D

In response to the original question....I guess you need to determine what you will use the boat for most often. Maybe a "Fish and Ski" from a fishing boat manufacturer would be the best option? Good luck in your search

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Everyone here seems their boat is the best. Which it is for them. So really unless you're hyped up on a certain sport, its hard to decide exactly what boat is right for you. If you want room, to handle waves, a good ski wake etc..... I think we need a little more information on watersports you do or would like to do. :)

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Also, just thinking out loud (or out typed or w/e), I hope you're not the person I'm thinking of that wants a new boat, as long as you're not in Michigan...........

Maristar210
06-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Everyone here seems their boat is the best. Which it is for them. So really unless you're hyped up on a certain sport, its hard to decide exactly what boat is right for you. If you want room, to handle waves, a good ski wake etc..... I think we need a little more information on watersports you do or would like to do. :)

You wanna trade there X-9?

I'll take yours anyday !!!! Nice :D

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 03:04 PM
You wanna trade there X-9?

I'll take yours anyday !!!! Nice :D

Well if you're serious, thanks. If you're not, I don't want to use the SHIFT and number keys;) :D

Threadjack: Ben at Action came yesterday, and we sure learned a lot. :cool:

EDIT: (Time to be polite) Steve if your boat wasn't a Marystar V drive I'd take it too, I love them colors.

Leroy
06-16-2007, 04:15 PM
It's not that they keep going up so much, once you own one you realize how little they go down each year, unlike a car!

For $50k you have a lot of options, nothing wrong with a used MC. You would be in slightly used range. I would look at the V-drives. Maristar, X-star, etc.

Umm of course as little as possible but Im looking around 50k, im kinda skeptical about buying used since who knows what its been through. I like mastercraft alot (i.e. looks, style, etc) but you'll pay for it as well. It sucks that they keep going up every year in price.

Maristar210
06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
X-9,

The wife does not like the motor box. BTW how much ballast can you run stock in yours?

Love your graphics BTW

SkiDog
06-16-2007, 07:22 PM
It's not that they keep going up so much, once you own one you realize how little they go down each year, unlike a car!

For $50k you have a lot of options, nothing wrong with a used MC. You would be in slightly used range. I would look at the V-drives. Maristar, X-star, etc.

One more plug for my boat!:D If an X-30 is not too big, the price is certainly right! As for the maintenence, I'm sure there's enought people on this board that knows all about my boat.

ProTour X9
06-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Well MS210, I'm told the rear sack is 670 lbs, and the other one maybe 200-300lbs, I am hardly sure but it throws out the biggest wake on the lake. Which isn't saying much by the way. Maybe a wally's wake is bigger i dunno.

Maristar210
06-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Well MS210, I'm told the rear sack is 670 lbs, and the other one maybe 200-300lbs, I am hardly sure but it throws out the biggest wake on the lake. Which isn't saying much by the way. Maybe a wally's wake is bigger i dunno.

Sounds pretty big to me. I knew it was different than the X-7 but I did not know how different.

tex
06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
My advice-Buy a boat take your kids skiing, and make sure that it's an inboard....If your smart, make it a Mastercraft!

Leroy
06-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Ha, for $50k I would even part with my baby 230VRS!

One more plug for my boat!:D If an X-30 is not too big, the price is certainly right! As for the maintenence, I'm sure there's enought people on this board that knows all about my boat.

TMCNo1
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Skidog has a nicely equipped boat for the money, lots of room, tower, speakers, cover and a bunch of goodies and good looking too. It will run, I chased his rear up Lake Wiley to get chili dogs.:D :twocents: :steering:

Chasing him up the lake,

SkiDog
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Skidog has a nicely equipped boat for the money, lots of room, tower, speakers, cover and a bunch of goodies and good looking too. It will run, I chased his rear up Lake Wiley to get chili dogs.:D :twocents: :steering:

BTW #1, I did find my cover!:D

TheOneandOnly
06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
ProtourX9 im from minnesota. good info thanks guys, I think im going to have to spend alittle more and go with the new X2--2007 hopefully go for a test drive next weekend

TMCNo1
06-17-2007, 05:56 PM
BTW #1, I did find my cover!:D
Good deal and I did get the pics you e-mailed me! Thanks!

SkiDog
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
ProtourX9 im from minnesota. good info thanks guys, I think im going to have to spend alittle more and go with the new X2--2007 hopefully go for a test drive next weekend

See there, if you would buy my boat, that's what I'd be gettin'!:D