PDA

View Full Version : Need a new credit card...

M-Funf
06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Any suggestions? I'd like something that accrues miles or bonus points...interchangeably if possible...We pay the card off every month, so the interest rate is not important.

The reason for the change is that our CC company changed our billing cycle without telling us (and they say that they can do this anytime they want). We try to plan our spending (large amounts) to work with our billing cycle...sometimes we'll push a purchase out a week so it's on the next bill... This really screws with our purchase planning...

TIA

Evan Jones
06-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Capital One....easy redemption

Mag_Red
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I just signed/ applied for a Citi Bank American Express. 1 mile for every $ spent. 20,000 bonus miles when you charge the first $750 with in a year. Another 10,000 miles when you charge, I believe $3000, with-in the first year. No fee for first year........$185 annual fee after that. And you can get up to 100,000 miles per year. Sounded good to me. Found out about this when joined American Airlines Frequent Flyer Program.

Sodar
06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I just signed/ applied for a Citi Bank American Express. 1 mile for every $ spent. 20,000 bonus miles when you charge the first $750 with in a year. Another 10,000 miles when you charge, I believe $3000, with-in the first year. No fee for first year........$185 annual fee after that. And you can get up to 100,000 miles per year. Sounded good to me. Found out about this when joined American Airlines Frequent Flyer Program.

Second this one ^^^^^

M-Funf
06-14-2007, 01:59 PM

That's the card I have...Capital One No-Hassle Miles...

Check your next bill to see if they changed your billing cycle...:mad:

M-Funf
06-14-2007, 02:01 PM

I think I'll look into this one...$185 is pretty high, but probably offset by the mile bonuses...

barefoot
06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
AmEx, baby, AmEx. if you pay your balance every month, then it's a no brainer. I pile my spending the way you do...it's a charge card so you have to pay it off. fiscal resposiblity

barefoot
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I think I'll look into this one...$185 is pretty high, but probably offset by the mile bonuses...

You can get the trade mark green card for less then that. Check into it. they have great rewards too. Travel, entertainment, shopping....you basically can get everything (except a brand new MC. I've checked :D )

wiltok
06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't get it - why pay $185 a year for a card. Say you charge enough in two years to get a ticket - for 400 bones you can buy your own (without all the limitations of the 'free' ticket).

And the Capital One No-Hassles miles card has one of the lowest rates of miles bonuses of any card. It was not recommened in a recent Newsweek article.

BrianM
06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I No fee for first year........$185 annual fee after that.
OUCH! I ditched my airline mile credit card because of the high annual fee and the lousy redemption. I now have a Chase rewards plus which basicly pays back 1% of purchases. You can choose gift cards, other merchandise or just have them send out a check. I take the cash and buy my own plane tickets and NO annual fee!

captain planet
06-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Marathon Credit Card. Offers 10% off gasoline purchases for the first 60 days and 5% off thereafter. They actually post the reduced gas price on the sign at the stations here if your using their card.

Mag_Red
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I think I'll look into this one...$185 is pretty high, but probably offset by the mile bonuses...the fee is waived the first year............after the first year I ditch the card

M-Funf
06-14-2007, 03:47 PM
the fee is waived the first year............after the first year I ditch the card

O.K. Sneaky Pete...:rolleyes:

I've also got the Costco AmEx card, which gives us cash back. The costco membership pays the annual fee (which we already had to pay), and the cash we get back pays for the membership fee plus a few bux the last two years. I don't know why we wouldn't use that instead of the Cap One card..I'll have to investigate...:cool:

BIGBADBLUE
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
The question is if you pay it off every month then you do not need a credit card. Get a debit card. I am a Dave Ramsey adict as he just makes sense. When you pay cash you spend less and a debit card will work when you can not pay cash.

Some say it will not for renting cars ... mine sure does.

Just a different solution to those nasty credit cards.

WakeSeeky
06-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Watch your bills closely. We ditched Capital One a few years back because they were zero help when I discovered fraudulent charges on our bill. The cretin that answered the phone actually called the charging vendor as if she was going to do a three way call & then hung up on us. :mad: Fortunately the vendor was very nice about it and reversed the charges without question. I had to call Capital One back and request a card cancel/reissue. When they couldn't figure out why I'd want to do that, I said go ahead and skip the reissue part. :rolleyes:

djhuff
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Watch Citi... according to Clark Howard, they really hurt your credit by not reporting what your limit is, only that you have a card. This hurts you because people looking at your credit cannot determine the risk factor because they don't know how much available credit you have, and many will run from this.

I'm going to get a USAA card soon, somehow I qualify for one and they have great rates, with a little cash back too.