PDA

View Full Version : 94 205-LT1 Isn't getting Fuel

chevy08bud
06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
This Sunday we were trying to get off of the lake because a storm was coming in and the boat sputtered, surged, and ultimately died. During this, it was pouring down rain and lightning all around, so we found an open dock slip and stayed there for a while. The fuel guage hasn't been working, but when I looked at the fuel tank, we still had a couple of inches of fuel left in the tank. Originally, we thought that we ran out of gas, so a real nice guy in an xstar took us to get some gas cans and fuel and brought us back to our boat. We put 10 gallons of gas in the boat which brought the fuel tank to just above half full. We then tried to start the boat to no avail. We did prime the fuel pump and injectors by turning the ignition switch on and off several times and could hear the fuel pump turn on and run for about 2 seconds. Boat wouldn't start at all. We were able to use starting fluid and start the boat, so we do have ignition, but the boat would not stay running. We ended up towing the boat to a ramp that was fairly close and ended up towing it home. I checked the pickup tube last night to make sure that it was intact and it was. After messing with the fuel tank and pickup for a while and putting everyting back together, we tried to start the boat. Well the boat started up just fine, so we hooked up the hose and wanted to test the boat out just to make sure everything was working. We started the boat and let it idle for just a bit, then it started dropping rpms, so I tried to give it some gas, and it then died. We were unable to get the boat restarted after this. We did check the schrader valve on the fuel line and would occasionally get some fuel out, but after a while, we were just getting air after letting the fuel pump prime by turning on the ignition. Somehow we are not getting fuel, what are your ideas. I'm told that there is a screen on the input side of the pump to check out, which I plan to do tonight, l'm also going to check the fuel filter tonight as well. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long, just trying to give all details of what has been done and what happened for diagnosis purposes.

JimN
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
If it wasn't the first time running out of gas (2 inches is close enough to empty when the boat is in choppy water), the pump impeller is probably toast. You're on the right track, though. Look from the tank forward and make sure that the anti-siphon valve isn't clogged, on the top of the tank, just after the shut-off. Also, make sure the shut-off isn't partially closed. There should be another filter just after that. Moving forward, check the screen in the pump. If this is all in good condition, check the fuel pressure. If the line ahead of the pump has fuel in it and is free of obstructions, you may need a new pump.

chevy08bud
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
This is the first time that I've run out of gas in this boat. It is 13 years old though, so who knows about how many times it has been run dry. I did check on the shut off valve, it was wide open. I however didn't see the anti-siphon valve that you mention, also what purpose does it serve? If it does get down to a pressure test, what do these engines like for fuel pressure?

JimN
06-14-2007, 11:13 AM
The anti-siphon is just after the shut-off valve and is what the fuel line attaches to. What it does should be self-explanatory- if the fuel line is cut, it keeps the fuel from siphoning out of the tank. It can collect debris and restrict fuel flow and the pickup tube can do the same. Pull the pickup tube and check it for any restriction. You should be able to move air or fluid from the pickup to the pump with not much pressure.

chevy08bud
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jim, I'll check that out tonight as well.

chevy08bud
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Is there any way to "prime" the fuel pump on this setup? I know that when you turn the key to the on position that it is supposed to prime the pump and injectors, but i'm only getting air up to the schrader valve.

JimN
06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
If you turn the key ON and prime anything, I hope you're attaching a hose and letting any gas go into a container that keeps it from splashing.

chevy08bud
06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I have tested the fuel system at just about every point that I can think of and from what I can tell, it looks like I'm going to need a fuel pump. If any dealers out there can make a good deal on a 2stage fuel pump for a 94 205 LT1, please let me know. I'm also needing a replacement fuel tank sending unit (preferably solid state with no moving parts) Thanks.

chevy08bud
06-15-2007, 11:50 PM
My dad and I messed around with the boat tonight and finally got it to work. We first went through everything in the fuel system, but still couldn't get any fuel past the pump. After we primed the pump we would check the pressure at the schrader valve and would just get air. I finally came up with the idea to try to prime the fuel pump by disconneting the fuel hose from the tank, that goes from the tank to the inlet side of the pump and fill it up with gas. We filled it up as much as we could until we started to hear fuel emptying back into the fuel tank through the return hose. After that, we reconnected everyting and turned the key to the run position to prime the pump as you normally would and walla. The pump already sounded better, and with a few more turns of the key, the pump was completely full of fuel and there was plenty of pressure at the schrader valve. We then hooked the hose up to the boat to give it a try and everything worked as it should. It ran for as long as we wanted it to, and took it through the rpm band with no problems what so ever. Glad that we figured it out before we bought a new pump, we're ready for the water again.