PDA

View Full Version : the pinks

rstitson
06-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I have read a few threads here reporting ping mold stains. We have a new x-15, trailered using now for 1 month. About 10 days ago we went out for a beautifull day of wetsuit boarding, skiing and general cruising. During the day we had a few showers. With bimini up we just idled through them and enjoyed the sun afters.My wife wiped down the boat between showers. Brought the boat home wiped down dry (wife and son). Did not cover it that night as intending to go out the next day. That next morning was starting to get ready of days activities and noticed a pink stain in the bow area.... Started to freak out, couldn't understand how the pinks could grow over night. So I had some 3m vinyl cleaner/restorer which i liberally used buffing and pulling out 99% of the stain (took a while). Moved on to the the rest of the boat and noticed it in 2 other places. Thats when the light bulb went on. My wife had sat in all three places. Needless to say she isn't going to wear anything in the boat again she had on that day(tan pants, pink uderwear and a pink/purple fleece) Would have thought the fleece but no stains on the back rests. Some wet interaction was taking place with otherwise "safe" clothing. We had not used any cleaners on the vinyl. The only thing I can think is that there is some chemical in the vinyl that can be reactive to certain dyes. Hard to believe pink undies not new had anything to do with it.. but. And no it wasn't blood we are past that age.

Ric
06-14-2007, 08:05 AM
sorry to hear of the stains but I love your solution of simply not having the wife wear anything in the boat:D

I have read a few threads here reporting ping mold stains. We have a new x-15, trailered using now for 1 month. About 10 days ago we went out for a beautifull day of wetsuit boarding, skiing and general cruising. During the day we had a few showers. With bimini up we just idled through them and enjoyed the sun afters.My wife wiped down the boat between showers. Brought the boat home wiped down dry (wife and son). Did not cover it that night as intending to go out the next day. That next morning was starting to get ready of days activities and noticed a pink stain in the bow area.... Started to freak out, couldn't understand how the pinks could grow over night. So I had some 3m vinyl cleaner/restorer which i liberally used buffing and pulling out 99% of the stain (took a while). Moved on to the the rest of the boat and noticed it in 2 other places. Thats when the light bulb went on. My wife had sat in all three places. Needless to say she isn't going to wear anything in the boat again she had on that day(tan pants, pink uderwear and a pink/purple fleece) Would have thought the fleece but no stains on the back rests. Some wet interaction was taking place with otherwise "safe" clothing. We had not used any cleaners on the vinyl. The only thing I can think is that there is some chemical in the vinyl that can be reactive to certain dyes. Hard to believe pink undies not new had anything to do with it.. but. And no it wasn't blood we are past that age.

shepherd
06-14-2007, 08:55 AM
does she have bladder control issues??? :rolleyes:

sorry, I got nothing...

utbubbad
06-16-2007, 07:24 AM
I was told the stains were a result of the vinyl being marked on the back with a red marker. Not really mold, it is the ink bleeding thru. This information did not come from mastercraft so not sure if true. It does make sense as to why it continues to come back. I know MC tok care of the problem for me.

rstitson
06-16-2007, 08:53 AM
interesting... about the red ink.... Not our issue though...I'm pretty sure.

WTRSK1R
06-16-2007, 09:15 AM
I had a well used beach towel do that to me once. This towel had to have been washed at least 100 times, and never left any marks anywhere else that I know of, but it was purple, and my niece was sitting on it with a wet suit in the bow of the boat. At the end of the day, I had a purple spot on one of the bow cushions. Took quite a bit of elbow grease to get rid of most of it, and at the end of the season the sun had done the rest, so it did not stay forever. But.....

No logical explanation, never had any other towel do it since. The boat was probably about 4 or 5 years old at the time, so I would not think it was anything in the vinly from the factory. I do not remember the name of the vinyl product I was using then, but I do know it was before I started using 303. It was probably some product from West Marine or Overtons, but can not say for sure.