PDA

View Full Version : Looking for health insurance advice for my son

suedv
06-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Our son is 21 and no longer on our health insurance. His summer job working for a landscaper does not provide insurance. He is very active with water sports. He's working on more barefoot skills and is wanting to get into ski jumping. He also skateboards all over town. It makes me nervous that he doesn't have insurance.

I'm looking for something that mostly covers the big injuries that get really expensive in a hurry. Has anyone recently researched health insurance plans? Any suggestions out there for companies with decent affordable plans for young adults with no current health problems?

fintek9
06-14-2007, 01:19 AM
wow, my wife and I were talking about this the other day, my oldest is
going on 18, this boy is EVEL KINEVEL with out a motorcycle!! he bmxs,
watersports, but most of his brakes are from snowboarding, kidd you not, he's had not more then 6 months at a time without a cast on!!! he's been the longest now with out for a wooping 9 months.....(record)
were talking since hes been 9 yrs old, we even had his bone morrow
tested!! came back ok... so if we find something i'll pass it on cause were in the same process ...

PendO
06-14-2007, 01:28 AM
between my brother working for me/dad ... and going to work as a teacher, he had a few months where he had insurance through Premera Blue Cross ... it was like $125 a month, which was better than Cobra with our company, the only real difference was that it did not have the same "mental health" coverage ... but that was not an issue ... he was able to get the information from out insurance sales office which does our commercial insurance and health insurance, as well as homeowners and car insurance ... you might check with your current car insurance salespeople and get a lead from them ... I would stick with a name brand company that is accepted at yoru regular doctors, not some company where are responsible for submitting your own claim forms

PendO
06-14-2007, 01:30 AM
In Michigan check out this link specific for your kids that just came off your insurance (its called "Young Adult Blue")

http://www.bcbsm.com/home/coverage_options/youngAdultBlue.shtml

And this one show all the different types regardless of age (Individual Care Blue, Value Blue, Young Adult Blue, Flexible Blue, etc ..." :

http://www.bcbsm.com/home/coverage_options/index.shtml

Monte
06-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Our son is 21 and no longer on our health insurance. His summer job working for a landscaper does not provide insurance. He is very active with water sports. He's working on more barefoot skills and is wanting to get into ski jumping. He also skateboards all over town. It makes me nervous that he doesn't have insurance.

I'm looking for something that mostly covers the big injuries that get really expensive in a hurry. Has anyone recently researched health insurance plans? Any suggestions out there for companies with decent affordable plans for young adults with no current health problems?

I would check with a local agent. Blue cross/ Blue shield is a very reputable company in NC not sure in MI, but I would think they are. Make sure to ask about the portability clause for preexisting conditions.
Here it is 63 days (ie.. as long as you have a policy inforce within 63 days of the last day of coverage pre's are covered, otherwise there is an 18mo waiting period) not saying he has any, but cold/flu/ broken bones are one thing, Back pain/ larger cat diseases that pop up could be denied. (food for thought)
With BC/BS of NC there are 3 plans and sixteen ded/ coinsurance options. I would strongly recommend contacting an agent to walk you through it...:)