PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cover Insulation

bfinley
06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd like to replace the insulation on my engine cover. I know there's a number of how-to's on the subject, but I can't find a place to buy the insulation. It's supposed to be on Overton's, but I can't find it there. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks

92 190 PS
06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
No solution, but would like to get some input on this as well. Need to do the same thing. I'd like to find a spray if possible. I've heard of some people doing the Line-X thing and such. I'd imagine that is simpler than going through the insulation and glue process...

ontrider
06-13-2007, 04:39 PM
This what you're looking for?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=25005

bfinley
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Perfect, thanks

yippikaiyay
06-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm replacing mine in the near future, and wondered about the strip along the bottom edge of the original foam insulation - it's riveted on.
Has anyone cut the original just above this level and taped the seam??
I can't see a better option at this point.

vogelm1
12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Earlier this summer I noticed the foam insulation pulling down from the top of my engine cover. Figured some 3M spray glue would do the trick and pulled the foam back, hit the backside of the foam, along with the fiberglass mating surface, and stuck it back down. It seemed like it wasn't going anywhere, but noticed while winterizing that it came loose again.

Any suggestions for different type of spray glue?

Jesus_Freak
12-02-2007, 10:52 PM
As posted on some thread related to this, I used some cheesy caulk I got from Lowes, smashed it all back up, and it has lasted a full season so far. Sounds super lame, I know, but it worked. I dont normally work on things this way, but it was a low priority, low risk item...

vogelm1
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I'll keep the caulk in mind. Boy, sure thought the 3M stuff would work; that is some tacky spray! I even let it "set up" for a few minutes as it instructs on the can. Maybe I'll get some other suggestions here along with the caulk...??

east tx skier
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I had it done by an upholstery shop. They tossed the can in the garbage and used contact cement. Held up well for the rest of my ownership of the boat.

vogelm1
12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks ETS - another good suggestion. The 3M adhesive didn't eat away at the foam (I tested a small spot first) so I'd assume contact cement would be safe to use as well. Maybe that would have a stronger bond strength than 3M.

kjohnson
12-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I did the Line-x type self installation myself. I like the way it looks and it quiets the engine a lot, but probably not as much as the kits. The kits will not stay adhered to the motor box. Line-x will. I am happy that I used the Line-x.

east tx skier
12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks ETS - another good suggestion. The 3M adhesive didn't eat away at the foam (I tested a small spot first) so I'd assume contact cement would be safe to use as well. Maybe that would have a stronger bond strength than 3M.

Rock solid and no eating at the foam. Adherence to the motorbox was never a problem.

Ryan
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
For those budget minded folks, you can get the exact same insulation from a RV parts shop/site cheaper than the "kit" that you can get from Overtons. I bought some reflective insulation from the same manufacturer, same roll size and thickness $30 ($25 plus another small section for $5 on a second trip to the store); spray adhesive from Lowes $10, and foil tape for a few bucks. $40 vs $70, and the kit from Overtons/West Marine is not fully enough to line a MC DD engine cover.

east tx skier
12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
... the kit from Overtons/West Marine is not fully enough to line a MC DD engine cover.

My kit from Overtons was enough with some scrap left over. You have to cut patterns though.

Sodar
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
My kit from Overtons was enough with some scrap left over. You have to cut patterns though.

Is that your version of bling, Doug?

east tx skier
12-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Probably about as close as I'd get, yes. Fortunately, it was only on the inside of the box.

TMCNo1
12-04-2007, 01:04 PM

3M makes several types of spray cements, and the cheap 3M stuff isn't any better than water soluble Elmer's Glue-All. 3M Hi-Tack #76 Spray Adhesive avail. at Ace Hardware can be sprayed on 1 surface and stuck on or spray it on each part, let dry and it sticks together like contact cement. I used it to glue my carpet to the trailer bunks during my trailer rebuild and on the carpet on the back side of the fenders next to the hull. That was 10 years ago. Just follow the instructions on the can!

Sodar
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
3M makes several types of spray cements, and the cheap 3M stuff isn't any better than water soluble Elmer's Glue-All. 3M Hi-Tack #76 Spray Adhesive avail. at Ace Hardware can be sprayed on 1 surface and stuck on or spray it on each part, let dry and it sticks together like contact cement. I used it to glue my carpet to the trailer bunks during my trailer rebuild and on the carpet on the back side of the fenders next to the hull. That was 10 years ago. Just follow the instructions on the can!

As always Mr. Page, you are dead on! The Hi-Tack is the way to go. I would also recommend spray adheasive to brush-on applications, jut because it is so much easier that brushing.

vogelm1
12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I used 3M #77 which was the "general purpose" spray adhesive. I'll get the Hi-tack #76 stuff on my list to check out too. Thanks!

TMCNo1
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I used 3M #77 which was the "general purpose" spray adhesive. I'll get the Hi-tack #76 stuff on my list to check out too. Thanks!

It's a little pricey @ around $14.00 a can, but ya get what ya pay for! But, who puts recap tires on a late model Corvette?

babymoore3
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I did the Line-x type self installation myself. I like the way it looks and it quiets the engine a lot, but probably not as much as the kits. The kits will not stay adhered to the motor box. Line-x will. I am happy that I used the Line-x.

How much was the Line-X, is it still holding up?