PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tower

SkySkiSpokane
02-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Anyone here use a monster tower or any other of their products like racks and mirror brackets? I am going to upgrade from my Skylon extended pole this spring and I think that is the way that I am going to go. Also, if anyone is looking for a pole, let me know I will let it go cheap to anyone on this list. Any thoughts help!! :smile:

tall_ andy
02-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I am also going to be buying a tower this spring. I think I'm going with Monster as well. I'm going for the full package with board and ski racks as well as speakers, mirror, and bimini. I've checked a few other places and prices, Monster seems to be the best bang for the buck. Mabye we should try a group buy with Towers as well :eek3: :D

NatesGr8
02-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I too will be buying a monster tower in the near future :D

SkySkiSpokane
02-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Count me in!!!! :toast:

Lake_Tippy_Skier
02-11-2005, 07:34 AM
i bought a monster tower (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/501/482DSC01638.JPG) last summer and love it. i just bought the ski and wakeboard racks in december. great functioning tower

jake
02-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I'd be interested in a Monster group buy as well.

SkySkiSpokane
02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Since there is some interest in a possible group buy, I called Monster Tower and talked to a guy named Brad. He says that they have done that for the malibu guys and he will get back with me on possibilities. If you are interested in a group buy let me know here or my personal email is drscov@yahoo.com. I will see what I can get done.

RackAtak
02-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Check out my pics...I have on installed. Works great and folds easily.
Ron

SkySkiSpokane
02-11-2005, 04:22 PM
OK, Here is the bad news. No group buys available at Monster Tower The Malibu group screwed it up for everybody :D j/k. I guess that they did a group buy for the Malibu group two years ago for ten or more towers on a one time buy. Monster Tower is still getting calls for people saying that they are Malibu owners and they should get the Malibu owner price. I guess some customers get pretty mad when they find out they don't get the group price. :cry: That being said Brad at Monster was great at explaining the situation and called me right back. I was impressed with his customer service and will buy from him in March. Can't wait for my new tower. :woohoo:

acurtis_ttu
02-11-2005, 05:44 PM
check the www.dallaswakeboarding.com website. There was a psot on there that a dealer had a few he was getting rid of for $795/piece. IF anyone is close to Dallas , Texas could be a cheaper option.

http://dallaswakeboarding.com/ftopict-3840.html

Jort
03-31-2005, 04:20 PM
OK, so i bought a monster tower for my '87 prostar 190, the trouble is I cant find a place to get it installed. Texas mastercraft is giving me the run a round telling me that they would rather not install it because of liability issues. I am thininkg of doing it myself, building up the fiberglass around the mounting brackets, and then just measuring and drilling. My question to yall is how did your towers get installed...by who, how much, or the trouble associated with attempting an install. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jeff

AirJunky
03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Did it myself with help from Wiley, his forklift & a 1/2 rack of beer. Hang the tower from above (forklift, ceiling joists, etc.) & pull the boat in underneath. Line it all up, measure twice & drill once. Use new drill bits & clean up the edges of your holes with a small file or rasp. Building up the glass underneath is a good idea. If fiberglass isn't your bag, then fabricate backing plates that spread the load over as large an area as possible. Mine are soft pine that conform to curve of the glass, backed by aluminum. Tighten it all down & check the nuts & bolts everytime you go out for a month or so.
I've even thought of making topside backing plates too.... maybe out of carbon fiber?

Jort
03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
what was the thickness of the wood that you used? Also, do you think a two-part epoxy between the wood and the deck would make it more structurally sound? How long was the wood you used, about a foot? I also heard that the drill needs to be run in reverse, if you did this i would like to know what to expect.
Thanks,
Jeff

AirJunky
03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
what was the thickness of the wood that you used? Also, do you think a two-part epoxy between the wood and the deck would make it more structurally sound? How long was the wood you used, about a foot? I also heard that the drill needs to be run in reverse, if you did this i would like to know what to expect.
Thanks,
Jeff

The wood that came with my tower was about 1" thick, 3" wide & maybe 10" or 12" long. I'd say longer if you can do it. There was no way I could have done longer under the front legs though, just because of the curvature of the hull & the vents that are there.
The epoxy might not be a bad idea. But it might make it hard to get out down the road. After mine was in for a couple years, I pulled each foot to see how things were going underneath. A couple had loosened up a bit, one piece of the wood had snapped in 1/2 with the grain (epoxy would have been good in that case).
The point of running your drill in reverse or using new bits is to make sure your holes don't crack. I had one crack out of the 8 we drilled. It hasn't moved in 3 years, but I always keep an eye on it. Either way is good, just drill slow & clean up the edges after it's thru.
Here is the finished product.... it's an Ichor & rock solid stable. http://airjunky.com/temp/newboat.jpg

RackAtak
03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
My Monster Tower was installed by a M#@!$& dealer. They did a good job overall, when folded the tower rests on the backseat. I used it last summer and liked it overall.

Waterski-Marcoisland
03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
They are only about $995
They lo0ok great too, thats what Im going with
92 Barefoot 200
www.waterskimarcoisland.com

BLAKE
04-02-2005, 07:32 PM
YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT A 13TH FLOOR TOWER, THERE SICK
IVE GOT ONE ON MY BOAT
-BLAKE :steering:

Tennesseeski
04-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Do they have a web site? Never heard of that company. I am also thinking about buying a tower for my 93 205 and the monster company seems to get alot of good reviews and I like the looks of there tower. Have any of you went from a extended pylon to a tower? How much difference does it really make? I have never had the chance to pull from a tower so I was curious.

AirJunky
04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
No comparison between 13th floor & Monster. Price or rigidity. Way different design & the Monster is far more sturdy side to side.

As far as does it make a difference? He!! yes is does. The ability to stand up & hold on while under power, hold the boat at a dock, stack your gear up high, mount speakers, etc. not to mention the lack of a bow cable & FAR more sturdy pull. I mounted an Ichor (http://www.ichoronline.com) like 4 yrs ago & have never regretted it for a second.

You tell me...... look any different?
Before - http://airjunky.com/temp/oldboat.jpg
After - http://airjunky.com/temp/newboat.jpg

Ryno
04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I bought a Monster tower for my first boat and it's been great. The board racks also work extremely well. The customer service it top notch. You won't find it better anywhere.
Although Monster just raised the price of their towers by $200 because of material cost increases, the tower is still the best out there for the money.
I installed it myself with the help of a friend and we didn't have any problems getting it done. I'd recommed doing it yourself and saving the install money. If you're in the DFW area, get a hold of me and I'd be willing to answer any questions and/or help out.
And as long as your figerglass is 3/8" thick you don't have to beef up the underside at the mounting locations.

Good luck!

Tennesseeski
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys! WOW Airjunky that does look good with the tower. You are right about the cable to the front being in the way. It can be a pain. Plus the pole laying in the floor if your not using it or take it down to tow the boat. I also like the fact that with the monster tower it folds down so my current cover will still work. Dont want to have to replace it as it is only one year old. There is a local dealer that sells and installs monster so I will call and get a quote on tower with and without them doing it. I'll post price and company name if any one is interested. I think me and my buddie who is a tool and die guy could do the install, but something about drilling holes in my boat makes me nervous!!!! :eek:

jsonova99
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Anyone here use a monster tower or any other of their products like racks and mirror brackets? I am going to upgrade from my Skylon extended pole this spring and I think that is the way that I am going to go. Also, if anyone is looking for a pole, let me know I will let it go cheap to anyone on this list. Any thoughts help!! :smile:

I might be interested in your skylon, do you have any pictures of it?

jsonova99
04-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I might be interested in your skylon, do you have any pictures of it?

Forgot, PM me with what your asking for it, thanks.

RackAtak
04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I also like the fact that with the monster tower it folds down so my current cover will still work. Dont want to have to replace it as it is only one year old. :eek:

Check your cover carefully. If you have a tight fitting cover, it most likely will not fit. Monsters website shows the tower folding flat, but in real life it does not fold flat. It is impossible. One of the front supports will rest on the other one when folded and it sticks up quite a bit; at least near windshield height. It will still fit into a garage etc, but it does not fold flat. I have a Monster Tower on my boat and I like it.

Tennesseeski
04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Good point. I went back to the monster web page where they have a demo of it folding and after you pointed that out, I can see where the arms lay atop each other and do stick up. My cover is not the Mastercraft cover but made just like it. It doesn't fit super tight if the straps are not all hooked on like if I am towing with it . I think it would work, but I have another wal-mart type cheap cover to just keep dust and dew out at night that will work. How hard is it to take the tower on off after you fold it? Is that even possible? :confused:

RackAtak
04-18-2005, 06:22 PM
The tower is pretty easy to take on and off...six attachment points. Two on each front leg and two on the main rear section. It is also very easy to fold...

Tennesseeski
04-25-2005, 12:05 AM
I think that will work for me. The price HAS gone up to $1195.00 for the tower. Board racks are now $235.00. Man the price of steel is killing everything. Trailer prices are goin up too. It isn't hurting business for the guy putting on the towers. He told me if I order Monday it will be mid-June before he could install. He is covered up!! I think I will just pay the pros to install it if I do get it. It is high though, $500.00 min with $1000.00 being the max. Depends on how much extra they gotta add to support weight and stress.