PDA

View Full Version : Finally mastering the Wakekite

WakeboardTN
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Despite the controversy, I purchased the wakekite about a month ago. After about 5 outings - It wasn't until last weekend when I was truly able to get some SERIOUS air, and transition from "board curled behind" to some "raleys". Which I can't land sucessfully on a board alone.

The rig is a bit pricey, (I got mine for $1300) - but after really taking the time to learn it - it's ALOT of fun and captures many onlookers at the lake. You can catch some monster air and land relatively easy.

Anyone else messing with this thing?

Jkelly
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
What is a wakekite? I don't think I have ever seen one.

WakeboardTN
06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
It's basically based upon the concept of Kiteboarding except you pull the kite behind the boat. It doesn't offer any positive lift like a parasail but when you jump, it gives a 0 gravity effect to your wakeboarding. Let me see if I can find a picture to post ...

http://home.comcast.net/~ra-leigh/wakekite.jpg

Ironically, the only pic I have is with powerlines in the background ... I can see the replies now.

Jkelly
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
That looks really fun. And YEA you are going to get bashed about the power lines

chudson
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Do you control the kite or is it boat speed or what?

TMCNo1
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Do you control the kite or is it boat speed or what?

Depends on how many volts are flowing thru the power lines!:rolleyes: :D

WakeboardTN
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
The kite floats behind you in the water until you get up to about 10 mph then it takes off and flies above you. You drive at the normal wakeboard speed of 18-21 and you steer it by tilting the handle left or right. By tilting the handle, you get the kite to lean one way or another - then you just cut out in the coressponding direction. To get it to fly upwards - you just flatten out the handle about 10 feet before you actually cut across the wake and by timing the upwards flight of the kite with your actual jump ---you can get some serious air!

WakeboardTN
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I was waiting on the powerline segway ... :)

Hrkdrivr
06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Do you have a harness that attaches you to the kite or is the kite attached to the handle? I.E., when you're up in the air, what happens if you let go of the handle? Do you fall to your doom or do you end up hanging from the kite?

WakeboardTN
06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
You actually hold the handle which is attached to the kite and also to the boat. When you let go of the rope, the handle disconnects from the boat line. The kite and attached handle flutters and falls near you where as the towline remains with the boat. You swim over to the kite and handle and wait for the rider to throw the tow rope back out to you so you can reconnect the safety release ... make sense?

Hrkdrivr
06-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Err...kinda...as in kinda scary! So it sound like if you're up in the air and let go of the handle (accidently or on purpose), you're free-falling w/your board?

WakeboardTN
06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
:D - It has its risks no doubt. But by the time you're learning to get serious air you're pretty comfortable with how it manuevers. It really does take you much higher than your original jump - but it kinda suspends you there while you steer it into the flats. So it is like they say ... wakeboarding on the moon!

sand2snow22
06-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Hrk, I've been around it for two years, but only had the opportunity to ride it once. It's not that scary and I've never seen anyone come close to being hurt on it....

I was talking to the engineer today, the nicest and smartest person I know and funny as it is, he recently broke his ankle wakeboarding? Never been hurt on the wakekite, though......

bigmac
06-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Despite the controversy, I purchased the wakekite about a month ago. After about 5 outings - It wasn't until last weekend when I was truly able to get some SERIOUS air, and transition from "board curled behind" to some "raleys". Which I can't land sucessfully on a board alone.

The rig is a bit pricey, (I got mine for $1300) - but after really taking the time to learn it - it's ALOT of fun and captures many onlookers at the lake. You can catch some monster air and land relatively easy.

Anyone else messing with this thing?

To keep the cost in perspective, at $1300, that thing is still substantially cheaper than an entry level Sky Ski hydrofoil. As to the controversy, I'm not aware of that, but I can guess what you're talking about. There are always spoilsports and doomsayers out there...real experts that think they can accurately assess the risks of such a device simply by looking at a picture. My advice....ignore them and have fun.

Hrkdrivr
06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Well...being of the pilot-persuasion myself, I think it looks like a great bit of fun...I'm never happier than when I'm not on the ground, so to speak.

We tried one of the Wego Kite Tubes last year (BEFORE we owned a MC boat! :D ). After nearly killing my son twice and scaring myself silly, I knifed the thing and sent it back. Shoulda known better but the videos looked so darn cool.

Anyway, I guess I'll start saving my $$ for one of these!!

Hrkdrivr
06-15-2007, 11:56 PM
...he recently broke his ankle wakeboarding? Never been hurt on the wakekite, though......

Now that's ironic!

ripperchick
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought kiteboarding was without a boat?

WakeboardTN
06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
You're right its not ... ppl get kiteboarding and wakekiting mixed up. Kiteboarding id just what you think - but wakekiting is done with a similar shape kite but it is attached to a handle and pulled behind a boat. This brings that 'kiteboarding" feel to the lake and you can do it with no wind conditions because the pull of the boat creates all the air you need.

ripperchick
06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Ahh, got it, thanks for clearing that up! Wakekiting sounds like a lot of fun. Can you do any inverted tricks, like backrolls or tantrums with the kite?

WakeboardTN
06-18-2007, 04:13 PM
No, you can't do any inverts - but you can do 360's and MAD raleys. I have always wanted to land one and I finally did this past weekend (on the kite). It's a great raley 'trainer' and it gets all kinds of attention on the lake.