PDA

View Full Version : Ski-Stall

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 12:09 AM
As is customary with many skiers when your done with a set you tap the top of your head, pull out very hard to the side and at the same time the driver goes to neutral, after some kinetic energy disipates driver and skier are virtually next to another. Well, on my boat 87, 351 carb, when we do this it always stalls. I'm curious for you guys and gals with older boats if your's stalls?

JimN
07-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Is it hard to restart? Does the exhaust smell of unburned gas when you do restart? Sounds like the fuel delivered during higher RPM running is creating a situation of too rich from suddenly going to idle. Have you tried a slower transition to idle?

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:16 AM
No, it's not hard to restart, it fires right back up. Their isn't any smell either. We could try a slower transition, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm going out tomorrow. Thanks. :cool:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Brian I shut down quickly sometimes, with no stall

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:31 AM
You've got EFI, right? No your's in 93 carb, like Doug...hmmm interesting.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Not like Doug.. Doug has a good carb. I have a 4010:(

JimN
07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Brian- has it always done this or just recently started? Has the idle RPM dropped/been readjusted lately? Any problem with top speed at/near WOT?

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Mark-That's right no one is as cool as Doug! ;)

Jim,

It's always done that. No, the top end etc. is all normal. It's not a huge deal just thought I would ask.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
You've got the 4010, Mark. And yes, I'm pretty cool. :cool:

Brian, mine doesn't do that, but we've never really gotten the move down perfectly as my driver doesn't do the move quickly enough. Working on it though.

You're turning the boat to the left, correct? Which side is the fuel pickup on? What's your fuel level like when you experience this? Quarter tank or below? My Jeep used to stall when I'd back up the driveway and idle for more than 15 seconds, unless I had more than 1/3 tank in it.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
I don't know, if she turns. As bad as this sounds I rarely drive, because I'm either behind or instructing. The pick up is on the left I think. But, if it's on the left you would theoretically want to turn to the right. The centrifugal force would push the fuel to the left. My tank RARELY gets below half. I fill it everytime we come back from the lake.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I typed that to fast, I do have what you said:o

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Okay, so the pickup is on the left, and Brian turns to the left with the skier pulling to the right (to stay on the driver's side of the boat). The boat thus dips to the left briefly, and the gas sloshes to the right.

It only needs to be starved for a second to stall it I suppose. Brian, do you prime it when you restart?

This seems to make sense as to what might be causing it.

The guys in our club (and at ski school) do it in one quick motion. Turn the wheel, gun it for a second, throttle back almost immediately, and turn back toward skier. The skier pulls really hard, and is gliding by the time the boat turns back in.

JimN
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know that a few seconds of starving would kill it, since it still has gas in the bowl. If the air gets into the line, it just blows the bubble out once it gets to the carb. What about the flaps? They aren't too flexible and being pushed into the flanges, causing too much backpressure from the wash behind the boat,are they? Then, when the motor starts again, the wash is gone and the exhaust blows them out again. :twocents: :popcorn:

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Again, I don 't know...I haven't tried doing it while driving. I'll do it tomorrow. I'm always on the end of the line. I do usual pull off to the left though. It could be...I'll keep you posted. :friday:

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Okay, I'm going to say my boat definitely won't stall on that move. I can power slide that thing hard enough to get the proverbial guy in the back (never is one because the seat's out) wet, and it won't stall. Of course, maybe I've never done the left hand power slide due to the rightward pull (see old board). Hmmm.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Are you talking about a Batman or aka Power Turn? Get up to about 35 mph cut the wheel HARD and pull to neutral at the same time.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
That's the one, but I don't know if I get it going that fast. :eek:

Love how you can pull the older boats out though.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:52 PM
I've never done it in my boat. I've been riding in a few boats that did it. Acutally watched a friend throw (more like launch) his sister out of his MC. She wasn't happy. I've heard of guys flipping doing that move also. I take it easy on mine. Drive it like a tractor, fast in the straight aways slow in the turns.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 06:55 PM
... which is why I don't do that move going very fast. Plus, I never try to catch anyone off guard with it. Only time I've ever done it was when it was just me and the wife in the boat, and she was instructed to hang on.

I'd imagine you'd have to be going a really strong clip to flip a boat with the engine in the center.

BriEOD
07-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, I hopped into the drivers seat, took er up to 36 mph made a right turn and pulled to neutral...purred like a kitten. So, I asked my wife what she had been doing differently. Anyone want to take a guess...? :confused:

Well, if you said pulling it to neutral and then into reverse you would be correct. I wanted to kill her! But, God Bless her she is way pregnant and out pulling my fat a$$ around the river so I just smiled and said from now on do it this way. Works fine now. Geez, gotta love her! :love:

east tx skier
07-23-2004, 04:18 PM
User error. Love it. :banana:

Back, and to the left.
Back, and to the left.

André
07-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Are you serious?
Ouch! :eek:

BriEOD
07-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Yep, whatdayagonnado? I'm just happy to still have my driver. :woohoo:
She claims our friend who could hang with anyone on this board hands down skiing, that's what he does. I don't think he does, but I wasn't about to start a urinary olympics with a pregnant chick. That's a no win situation and I didn't want to swim 3 miles back to the ramp! :D

PS :banana:

east tx skier
07-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Here's the drill as I understand it.

Skier pats head. Driver points right. Skier pulls hard right as driver turns left and guns it for a split second, whipping skier out. As driver pulls back to idle, he turns back toward skier. At some point, if you've got perfect pass, throw it to neutral and turn it off so it doesn't engage somehow if you throw it into reverse. As you pull up with skier on your right, when he gets just past even with the driver, give it a little reverse, then neutral, then kill it. Platform should be very close, but not on top of skier.

Tell her this later, Brian ... on shore.

P.S. For those keeping score, once we recalibrate, that's 2,000 for me.

See new thread. :wavey:

MarkP
07-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Congrats Doug,:banana: :woohoo: :banana:

MarkP
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh and that will never happen to me,:noface: and I think you know why

east tx skier
07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
No. Why? (just goint to write to make the 10 character minimum)

BriEOD
07-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I know why Doug. Because, MarkP can "stop anytime he wants." Yeah, yeah that's what the crack heads say to! :uglyhamme

MarkP
07-24-2004, 02:51 AM
YUP 456789 10 :friday: