PDA

View Full Version : 1986 MC - How much water get's in your boat while running or floating?

Tom Wortham
06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I have a 1986 MC. When running the boat pretty hard or even just floating. It appears that my auto bilge comes on alot. I assume that water is come in from the shaft. It that normal?

I have peaked at the engine while running accross the lake... no water is coming from the water pump or manifols. I can't tell where it is coming in from.

The shaft is the only place I can think of.
Is it common for that much water to come in? :confused:
How much water get's in your 86 or older MC boat?

TMCNo1
06-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Just try tightening, repacking or adding packing to the stuffing box and see what happens. That's most likely the culpert, check this out in the FAQ section,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31

454Prostar190
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I have an 82 Stars and Stripes. I don't seem to have a problem unless I have a full boat and I am running hard for a while. I don't know where it comes from either. I was out every day on Memorial Day weekend, never had a full boat and never had to turn the bilge pump on. She stayed dry. Rick

Bruce Carr
06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Check your mufflers and exhaust hose connections. At rest, the mufflers are below the water line which can leak if you have loose hose clamps or a hole/crack in the muffler(s). On my '83, I had a factory installed screw holding the aft deck panel down which was screwed directly into the muffler. On my '91, I had a crack in the elbow of the muffler. Both of which let quite a bit of water into the bilge over the course of a day. They were not easy to find either.

Bruce

craig3972
06-12-2007, 06:49 PM
the shaft on the x-star is enveloped with a piece of hose that is hose clamped to the tranny and the hull.. no leak there.. i checked... i did notice that some water was entering thru the rudder shaft..is there supposed to be some kind of seal for that?

TMCNo1
06-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I would think a 2006 would still be covered under warranty, so have your dealer address the leak and take care of it.

chudson
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
In the older boats you may check the rubber exhaust hose going out from the manifold. I had one rot and had a small hole under the floor where you cannot see and it took along time for me to figure where the water was coming from too, never figured on that!!!

Tom Wortham
06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
In the older boats you may check the rubber exhaust hose going out from the manifold. I had one rot and had a small hole under the floor where you cannot see and it took along time for me to figure where the water was coming from too, never figured on that!!!

I'll check. Wonder how long these hoses last. I know they have been on there since I purchased the boat back in 1995.

SaltwaterMC
06-14-2007, 05:37 PM
the shaft on the x-star is enveloped with a piece of hose that is hose clamped to the tranny and the hull.. no leak there.. i checked... i did notice that some water was entering thru the rudder shaft..is there supposed to be some kind of seal for that?

We have a 2007 X-Star and it has a mystery leak as well. We can go out with a completely dry bilge and have no water enter the boat by people or large waves yet the auto bilge still kicks on and will empty out a ton of water. Hopefully we will get this figured out and resolved soon.