PDA

View Full Version : 1986 MC - How much water get's in your boat while running?

Tom Wortham
06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a 1986 MC. When running the boat pretty hard or even just floating. It appears that my auto bilge comes on alot. I assume that water is come in from the shaft. It that normal?

I have peaked at the engine while running accross the lake... no water is coming from the water pump or manifols. I can't tell where it is coming in from.

The shaft is the only place I can think of.
Is it common for that much water to come in? :confused:
How much water get's in your 86 or older MC boat?

M-Funf
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I've got water coming in from somewhere myself. It could also be coming from the rudder packing or seal, which is very difficult to see since it's under the gas tank WAY at the back...

TMCNo1
06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I've got water coming in from somewhere myself. It could also be coming from the rudder packing or seal, which is very difficult to see since it's under the gas tank WAY at the back...

Your rudder port should have a zerk fitting and when you shoot some grease in, it will fill the void between the 2 O-rings and help seal it, plus lube it. Also grease the steering cable and cable pivot.

jraben8
06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I had an '87 that when I purchased it had the same issue. Turns out that the rub rail had a gap between the bottom side of the rail and the gelcoat that ran 2 feet forward from the stern. Sucked in quite a bit from that.

88 PS190
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
quick summary of leaky places.

rub rail

packing

rudder packing.

the shaft log (bit of metal sticking out of the fiberglass that the packing nut is attached to with hose.

hoses on the engine.

Plugs.

through hulls.

Just go through one by one.

M-Funf
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
the shaft log (bit of metal sticking out of the fiberglass that the packing nut is attached to with hose.

Just go through one by one.

I forgot about that one...Mine was leaking underneath where the packing nut is located on the foward end of the shaft log. I ground out some of the fiberglass where it was cracked and mixed up some epoxy to repair. It worked pretty well...

Tom Wortham
06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
quick summary of leaky places.

rub rail

packing

rudder packing.

hoses on the engine.

Plugs.

through hulls.

Just go through one by one.\

Good list, Thanks.
So, if it brings in water when it is NOT running.... the Plug is good, no holes cut through the fiberglass. Water could only be coming in from the shaft or rudder. All water goes straight into the engine comparement. Carpet stays dry. Only way I can see if the water is rising is looking into my bilge.

bxroads
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
My 83 takes in good amount of water when the lake is rough or I'm cutting up, which I've always attributed to splash over the combing. They do sit LOW.

Bruce Carr
06-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Be sure and check the mufflers/exhaust hoses for leaks. I have seen a muffler worn through where it vibrated against the floor of the bilge, screw holes and cracks in the mufflers. Reference other thread on the same topic.

87MCProstar
06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
as well as a couple of others, i had an issue with my rub rail. bought silicone and resealed around the entire boat. good as new

Tom Wortham
06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone.
If the carpet is dry, not sure how it could be the rub rail.
Could be the mufflers (i'll check). Just curious if it come in when you are just floating... it must be where the shaft goes in the boat. I would not think that much water could come through the rutter?
I need to be in the boat (alone) long enough to be floating. Take the engine cover off and take a close look.
Thank you again for your responses.

Sledneck
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Just a thought, I would check your speed cables too...

TMCNo1
06-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Just a thought, I would check your speed cables too...
Tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Carr
06-23-2007, 08:55 AM
The mufflers are below the water line when sitting still in the water. Look closely where the mufflers rub against the bottom of the bilge, look for cracks where the elbows on the front of the muffler attach, inadvertant screw holes, and also look where the aft end of the mufflers clamp onto the through hull fittings at the transom.

I have had at least one of each of these leaks over the years.

H20skeefreek
06-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Your rudder port should have a zerk fitting and when you shoot some grease in, it will fill the void between the 2 O-rings and help seal it, plus lube it. Also grease the steering cable and cable pivot.
I hate to correct the all knowing TMC, but this rudder port does not have O-rings.

TMCNo1
06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
I hate to correct the all knowing TMC, but this rudder port does not have O-rings.

Which rudder port are you refering to his '86, your '85 or mine. It would be handy to know next time the subject comes up.

Bruce Carr
06-23-2007, 09:12 AM
There are two "lip" type shaft seals above the grease zerk and one O-ring at the bottom of the rudder log just above where the rudder shaft exists the log.

H20skeefreek
06-23-2007, 10:50 AM
On my '85 and every other '80's boat I've seen There is a white nylon bushing and no o-rings or packing. It seals (and not very well I might add) with grease and pressure of the nut. I'll post pictures of mine dissassembled later, I don't have those pictures at work.

TMCNo1
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
On my '85 and every other '80's boat I've seen There is a white nylon bushing and no o-rings or packing. It seals (and not very well I might add) with grease and pressure of the nut. I'll post pictures of mine dissassembled later, I don't have those pictures at work.

Just curious, cause 3 years ago when I changes rudders on our '89, I replaced the two existing O-rings that was in my rudder port with the two new ones in the replacement '93 rudder port that came with the rudder.
It has never leaked when greased. I just may be a different design on some models.

454Prostar190
06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I have a rub rail issue (I think). It only takes on water when the water is really rough and I have a full boat of people.
Bruce Carr, I took a look at your boat. She's beautiful! Where did you get that top for it? I would love to have a Bimini but, don't want to (and won't) drill any holes in my boat. Rick