PDA

View Full Version : Wiring LED's

ontrider
06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm re-doing some stuff in my boat and wanted to add an LED strip either under the dash or at the back where I'm adding a ballast enclosure. My only problem is that I know ZERO about wiring things.

The LED's are 12V and apparently can be wired right into one of the ACC switches??? I've got a couple pics of what I'm working with below. The LED strip has a red and black wire... maybe someone can mspaint the pic to show me what to do? If I wanted to extend it to reach the back is there a specific wire I'd need?

Now that I feel like a clueless 5-year old hopefully someone can help me. Thank you! :)

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/files/wireland2_102.jpg

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/files/wireland_186.jpg

KnoxX2
06-12-2007, 03:00 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

OhioProstar
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
If you unscrew your gauge bezel you will find blue jumpers going to the lights in the gauges. You can splice in your new positive line to the blue wire and then attach the negative line to the ground.

ontrider
06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Three popcorn icons on the first post?? :(

I don't trust you guys now.

fintek9
06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
wiring straight in to the acc works, but that means they will luminate only when your nav lights are on! you might want to put them on there own switch if you don't have an unused one on your panel! that way you can use them a night as your floating with out the navs on..

trickskier
06-12-2007, 03:58 PM
wiring straight in to the acc works, but that means they will luminate only when your nav lights are on! you might want to put them on there own switch if you don't have an unused one on your panel! that way you can use them a night as your floating with out the navs on..
Sorry that's not correct............NAV Lights have their own switch......The ACC Switch will have leads that terminate some where in the boat, usually under the dash or in front of the drivers kick panel.

trickskier
06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
What model & year is your boat???

pram
06-12-2007, 04:05 PM

No floating in the dark without the nav lights on :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

fintek9
06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
trick, your right ... my mind went elswhere in tran of thought..
that didn't make sence to me after reading it! acc is acc

school me on this one, if taping into your light gauge wires, would'nt they become one now?
or just tapping in to get the power lead off it!!

ontrider
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
trick, 95 ps205.

trickskier
06-12-2007, 04:24 PM
trick, 95 ps205.
On mine, the ACC 1 switch terminated on the other side of the drivers kick panel and was labeled shower. There was a positive & ground there together...........

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Ontrider,
I got your PM. Sorry I haven't responded yet.

The back of my switches look totally different than yours, but the concept should be the same. Get a volt meter and chase which tabs have power when you flip the switch.

Electricity is not my ball of wax. Heck...my final check before grabbing wires is to flick it with my finger to see if I get a kick! :eek:

I, too, had a blank ACC1 switch that worked out perfect

ontrider
06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks man. I can trust you since you're not a Gators fan.

I'll play with it and do my own final test at the end. (I put both connectors on one battery terminal and then lick the other one)

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I'll try to remember to look at the back of my switch tonight to see how it's wired, but again...it's different than yours.

OhioProstar
06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
My '95 PS190 has a two ACC leads, both labeled with their grounds that were zip tied under the dash.

trickskier
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks man. I can trust you since you're not a Gators fan.

Thanks a lot!!!...................Just trying to help you out..............:rolleyes:

ontrider
06-12-2007, 05:38 PM
As if you guys need any sympathy. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Electricity is not my ball of wax. Heck...my final check before grabbing wires is to flick it with my finger to see if I get a kick! :eek:
This is why they make these....;)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/20900/20884.JPG