PDA

View Full Version : #8 plug on 5.3L

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 12:01 AM
OK, whats the trick to getting a wrench on that sucker?
I got the boot off, but cannot get the spark plug socket on the plug.

Truck is a 2004 GMC Yukon.

JimN??? UMP??? W4T's??? HB??? Ric (I know, take it to the dealer)??? Anyone???

JimN
06-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Have you tried a swivel socket or box wrench? A socket probably needs to be thin-walled.

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Have you tried a swivel socket or box wrench? A socket probably needs to be thin-walled.

I tried the swivel ratchet but not the box wrench.

I stated my initial post incorrectly. I can get the plug socket on but there is no room to get the ratchet on the socket.

edwinfuqua
06-12-2007, 01:08 AM
It was a 5 minute job changing plugs on mine.

TMCNo1
06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I tried the swivel ratchet but not the box wrench.

I stated my initial post incorrectly. I can get the plug socket on but there is no room to get the ratchet on the socket.

Most spark plug sockets have a hex on the ratchet end to place a open end or box end wrench, if the ratchet won't go in it.

trickskier
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I have an 05 Tahoe which should be the same............#8 on my truck looks like there's enough room to get a socket on it............You might also try going from underneath.............Good Luck!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
OK, whats the trick to getting a wrench on that sucker?

I generally find the easiest way to remove a #8 plug on a 2004 Yukon is to ask one of the mechanics out in the shop to do it. Those guys know the tricks as they have been doing it for so long, they know how to get spark plugs out of those tight spots. I know its not the answer your looking for, but I do think its easiest to bring it to the dealer. I know it costs $$$, but think of the frustration, bloody knuckles, and beer it will save you. :twocents:

06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I have an 05 Tahoe which should be the same............#8 on my truck looks like there's enough room to get a socket on it............You might also try going from underneath.............Good Luck!!! I have tried recommending that to Ms. UMP, but she always says NO. :o :o ;)

6ballsisall
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Beau aren't the plugs rated for 100k miles???

trickskier
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I have tried recommending that to Ms. UMP, but she always says NO. :o :o ;)
LOL..................You obviously need to be more convincing....................Tell her it's a scientific experiment...............;)

06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
They are JR, but I always recommend people change them sooner. Reason being is plugs can be a biotch to remove at 100K. They have been baking in there at engine temp for 100K, NO good. Some dealers recommend taking them out and reinstalling them at 50K, I say, once they are out, put new ones in. Change em at 50K is what I always recommend. put some conductive anti sieze compound on them too, just for good measure. Thats what I do my truck, and my parents vehicles. Ms. UMP will be due for 50K maint soon too. she will get new plugs, new trans fluid, new coolant, basic tune up.

I dont trust that 100K BS.....

06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
LOL..................You obviously need to be more convincing....................Tell her it's a scientific experiment...............;)
Yea! :)

"hey honey, I was watching the discovery channel last night and...."

6ballsisall
06-12-2007, 10:27 AM
They are JR, but I always recommend people change them sooner. Reason being is plugs can be a biotch to remove at 100K. They have been baking in there at engine temp for 100K, NO good. Some dealers recommend taking them out and reinstalling them at 50K, I say, once they are out, put new ones in. Change em at 50K is what I always recommend. Thats what I do my truck, and my parents vehicles. Ms. UMP will be due for 50K maint soon too. she will get new plugs, new trans fluid, new coolant, basic tune up.

I dont trust that 100K BS.....

Thanks for the 411 UMP!! The wifes Hoe has 2,500 miles on it, should be a while before we need to do it. However aren't you suppose to do an oil change early on? I seem to remember something about the break in engine oil???

Sorry to TJ

06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the 411 UMP!! The wifes Hoe has 2,500 miles on it, should be a while before we need to do it. However aren't you suppose to do an oil change early on? I seem to remember something about the break in engine oil???

Sorry to TJ
First off, never apologize for a treadjacking8p

2nd, No break in oil change needed. just change it at 3K like normal.

by the way, whats a 411?? is that some C-B lingo I missed in Smokey in the Bandit??8p

6ballsisall
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
First off, never apologize for a treadjacking8p

2nd, No break in oil change needed. just change it at 3K like normal.

by the way, whats a 411?? is that some C-B lingo I missed in Smokey in the Bandit??8p

Yesiree :D

10-4 lil buddy! :D

trickskier
06-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Yea! :)

"hey honey, I was watching the discovery channel last night and...."
Like I said................It's ALL in the PRESENTATION.....................;)

06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Yesiree :D

10-4 lil buddy! :D
Lil buddy? wrong show.....that was Gilligans Island, dontchano!!!

I think the professor was smart enough to get them off the island.....he just had it made there with Ginger & Maryann. :cool: :D

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM

I bought a tuned PCM and I am getting some pinging while light on the throttle. I called the guy that programmed the PCM and he said that the stock plugs were junk and to just switch them out to NGKTR55 (cheap $2 plug).

Pinging has all but gone away and the tune has seemed to wake-up. Could be wishful thinking, I don't know.

So, I now have 7 new plugs and one old one. I will work on getting #8 out tonight.

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 11:18 AM
It was a 5 minute job changing plugs on mine.

Sure, kick a man when he's down. :D :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I bought a tuned PCM and I am getting some pinging while light on the throttle. I called the guy that programmed the PCM and he said that the stock plugs were junk and to just switch them out to NGKTR55 (cheap $2 plug).

Pinging has all but gone away and the tune has seemed to wake-up. Could be wishful thinking, I don't know.

So, I now have 7 new plugs and one old one. I will work on getting #8 out tonight.

Gotcha! ;) Are you trying to turn that thing into the Hot Rod Grocery Getter?? 8p

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Gotcha! ;) Are you trying to turn that thing into the Hot Rod Grocery Getter?? 8p

You know it... :D

I was told to expect 1-2 mpg increase using 87 octane. 3-4 using 91+!
On my trip back from Iowa a couple weeks ago I saw the 1-2 mpg increase using 87 first hand and it made me a believer. For the price of this thing, it will pay for itself in about 10-15 fill-ups.

6ballsisall
06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
You know it... :D

I was told to expect 1-2 mpg increase using 87 octane. 3-4 using 91+!
On my trip back from Iowa a couple weeks ago I saw the 1-2 mpg increase using 87 first hand and it made me a believer. For the price of this thing, it will pay for itself in about 10-15 fill-ups.

Send me a link if you wouldn't mind! The wifes Hoe could use some help! Her's just has the 4.8 liter though. :(

bcampbe7
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Send me a link if you wouldn't mind! The wifes Hoe could use some help! Her's just has the 4.8 liter though. :(

I believe he can help you out.

I will PM you the link to his site. The best way to contact him is via phone. He is not too quick to respond to emails.

TMCNo1
06-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Lil buddy? wrong show.....that was Gilligans Island, dontchano!!!

I think the professor was smart enough to get them off the island.....he just had it made there with Ginger & Maryann. :cool: :D

The professor could get that sparkplug out with a cocanut and a transistor radio!

TX.X-30 fan
06-12-2007, 02:33 PM
See if UPM still has the # for those midget strippers, one of them could shurley wiggle up in there and at least loosen it up for ya. :D :D

LakePirate
06-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Beau - you just have to hold your mouth right.

I did it once on the 'lanche, lost most of the skin on my knuckle, bought some mechanix gloves for that purpose.

I have replaced mine every 50k, on my 3rd, set.

06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
See if UPM still has the # for those midget strippers, one of them could shurley wiggle up in there and at least loosen it up for ya. :D :D
I have the phone numbers. who do you want?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Beau,
Where are you at with this?
(I didn't want to suffer through reading all the Threadjacks, so I figured I better ask;) )

bcampbe7
06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Beau,
Where are you at with this?
(I didn't want to suffer through reading all the Threadjacks, so I figured I better ask;) )

I didn't have a chance to look at it last night.

Old #8 plug still in the truck. I can get the boot off and get a socket on the plug, but cannot get the ratchet on the socket. I am going to try Harold's recommendation to use an open end wrench on the spark plug socket (if there is room).

Workin' 4 Toys
06-13-2007, 10:24 AM
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects_lg/43700/43643.JPG

bcampbe7
06-13-2007, 10:26 AM
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects_lg/43700/43643.JPG

Ooooohhhhh, me likes the look of that!

I will have to try to find something like that this weekend.