PDA

View Full Version : A Frame Tower Hoist

rasmithaz
06-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a little problem, I bought a 99 205 with a fold down reverse arch wakedesigns tower that is 8" too high to sneak in my 7 ft. garage door. I have been taking the tower on and off to get the boat inside. I'm thinking about building an A frame type "swing set" contraption and attaching a come-along to the horizontal beam to attach to the tower to pull the tower up and drive out underneath it. My 12 year old son and I just aren't tuff enuff to wrestle the tower on and off by ourselves. Does anybody have any Ideas how to put something together for 2 or 3 hundred bucks- it only has to lift a couple hundred pounds. Ebay hoist in california-good deal right now.

TMCNo1
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Storm000Trooper needs to address this one!

Flatwaterfooter
06-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Not sure what the tower weight of the tower is but I would think that you could make it out of PT wood. If you have a couple of trees that are 10-12 feet apart mount it to those or dig some holes and put 8 x8s in with cement. I would get a decent chain fall hoist before a come along. Just my thoughts

rasmithaz
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
The tower doesn't weigh 200 lbs. My son and I can bend over and pick it up and walk around, the problem is pressing it up and walking over the back of the boat and lining it up without dropping it and smashing gelcoat. I don't have two trees 10 to 12 ft. apart within 200 miles of my house. I have a lot of cactus though. I'd like to put something together that I can move out of the way when I'm done.

dhcomp
06-12-2007, 12:01 AM
get a tower that folds down. Or get someone to modify it so it folds with pins to pull in teh back or something.

Mag_Red
06-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Don't you have any friends that could help you?? Even a prefect stranger walking by would likely help you.:wavey:

Ben
06-12-2007, 07:19 AM
get a tower that folds down. Or get someone to modify it so it folds with pins to pull in teh back or something.

This sounds like a good idea. Maybe a local fabricator could re-rig it such that the bottom of the rear leg slides in & out of a sleeve w/dual pins to retain them. Post a pic of it in the folded position & i'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas here.

Another more permanent option is to change your door to 8'. Someone recently did that too.

If you must make something and have plenty of space to leave is out, I think a wood version of the steel hoist you have would be fine. 4x4's for anchors, crossbar, and fore-aft between the casters. 2x4's as bracing. Seem's like this would be a large contraption though.