PDA

View Full Version : Broken Propshaft on 92 ps205

jsibert
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Not really sure what happened this weekend, everything popped while making a turn and my propshaft was broken just above the strut. The prop looks fine, which has me confused.... Regardless, I have not replaced a propshaft before, so I have a couple of questions. Any suggestions to make the replacement easier?? Any thoughts on replacing with a shaft from skidim vs. mastercraft? Is there any danger that I could also have tranny problems as well from whatever caused the shaft to break?

Debating on whether this is a task that I want to take on in the garage or if it needs to go to the dealership...:confused:

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
The shaft from skidim will be fine (at least it was on my father in law's boat). Engine alignment may need to happen before all is said and done.

Jim@BAWS
06-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I see that you are in the SE. My dealership is in Tampa
We can help. Need to know if it is a POWERSLOT or a 1:1
That will make the difference in the diameter of the shaft.

You probably where out of alignment. You might also want to look at your cutlass bearing in the strut.

Call if we can be of assistance

Jim@BAWS

(813) 996 2297

jsibert
06-11-2007, 06:56 PM
It is the 1:1 ratio. This maybe a stupid question, but would being out of alignment (between the engine and the strut) place enough tension to break the shaft? My initial thought was that if I did not run over something (which I don't think that I did) then maybe the bearing in the strut had worn out, leading to the shaft having free play within the strut, eventually causing the break. What initial symtoms should I have noticed?

jsibert
06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Jim,
I disassembled what I could tonight and the broken prop shaft is not in alignment with the strut, although, I don't think that I will know for sure until I get the new one on. The cutlass bearings look to be ok, although I feel that I need to go ahead and replace them while I have everything taken off of the hull. The prop is ok except for the normal scratches and a couple of tiny nicks. Thoughts?? Do you know what length the shaft should be, I will not be able to measure the existing one until I get a socket large enough to take the coupler off.

thanks

mrG
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Jim,
I disassembled what I could tonight and the broken prop shaft is not in alignment with the strut, although, I don't think that I will know for sure until I get the new one on. The cutlass bearings look to be ok, although I feel that I need to go ahead and replace them while I have everything taken off of the hull. The prop is ok except for the normal scratches and a couple of tiny nicks. Thoughts?? Do you know what length the shaft should be, I will not be able to measure the existing one until I get a socket large enough to take the coupler off.

thanks
Sorry to hear about your prop shaft failure.
Good advice from Jim.
You definitely want to go ahead and change the cutlass bearings out while you have the drive train apart. They are relatively inexpensive to replace and needs to done periodically anyway. Good luck.

FrankSchwab
06-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Imagine a situation where the hole through the strut doesn't line up with the coupler at the back of the transmission - the shaft would bend. Now run the prop at 3500 rpm for a few hours - with each revolution, the shaft would get bent to the left, then bent to the right. Bending it back and fort 3500 times a minute for a few hours, or a few years could cause it to fracture.

If I had the boat ripped apart for a shaft replacement, I'd replace the cutlass bearing, the shaft packing, and I'd perform the full engine/strut alignment procedure that Ken Gibbons documented a long time ago 23010. You may find that you have a bent strut, and that's what was the ultimate cause of your shaft breakage.

Search for "Shaft alignment", and you'll find a lot of stories of people who've aligned for one reason or another.

/frank

wsrobert
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I would think if the shaft was out of alignment enough to break it, you would have noticed a good amount of vibration in the boat (significantly more than normal). I just replaced my shaft, strut, prop, the whole nine yards. I hit a stump. Ended up taking mine to the local MC dealer. Mine was bent pretty bad, but I could still drive at idle speed with no noticeable difference. Once I hit the gas a little, she felt like she was coming to pieces. You certainly should have felt some vibration if it was an ongoing problem. Alignment isn't that tough if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I'm at work now, but I think I've got an alignment procedure at home. I'll post it when I get back for you.

wsrobert
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll try to get a few pics also.

XPC Sealman
06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
If you are going to replace the strut bearings I would go with the new composites that have been on the MasterCrafts for the past 3 years. They are far superior to the rubber bearings of old.

jsibert
06-20-2007, 01:15 AM
turns out that the strut was bent, which I believe will be the cause of the problem. My biggest issue now is that the new prop shaft from MC came with the coupler already seated and bolted down, and it is not coming off. Any suggestions on running the new shaft through the hull? I am currently in the process of raising the engine up high enough to install the new shaft into the new strut and then work my way back to the engine for alignment. Any thoughts from those who have previous experience?

wesgardner
06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Can you find out from MC why in the world they'd ship you a shaft that's not installable? (At least not in the normal manner). Maybe there's some "magic" they can clue you in on...

jsibert
06-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Talked to the dealer late last week, he indicated that this is how the new propshafts come from MC. Interesting enough, I was able to break the bolt free with the impact wrench, however, it took a 50 ton press delivering 15,000 pounds of pressure to release the coupler(is this normal)......I now know my problem, I was only placing 14,995 pounds of pressure one the coupler with a puller and my right arm.
The new strut and shaft are installed, just have to check the engine alignment tomorrow and bolt down the coupler and prop.

should be back in the water in a couple of days.

wesgardner
06-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I've always been able to break them free by disconnecting the coupler, placing a bolt inside (as a non compressable spacer), reconnecting, retightening thus driving the shaft out of the coupler....