PDA

View Full Version : Rule number one.....TURN YOUR BLOWER ON!!

skeeler
06-11-2007, 10:51 AM
We had a little excitement at the lake over the weekend. At the marina on the lake, a gentlemen forgot to turn on his blower while fueling and the boat ignited. When it was all said and done, 12 boats destroyed. :(

skeeler
06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Another......

skeeler
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Another.....

RexDog1
06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
WOW that sucks ……… :(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>And what lake would Skeeler go to? “Beaver Lake” …………

trickskier
06-11-2007, 10:58 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>And what lake would Skeeler go to? “Beaver Lake” …………
LOL.....................I was thinking the samething..................:D

Was anyone hurt???

KnoxX2
06-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Was he fueling with his boat running?

That sucks!!! Hope no one was hurt!!

Sodar
06-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Awesome Pics Skeeler!! Sucks for all those boat owners. Hopefully no one was injured!!

TX.X-30 fan
06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I never thought about having the blower on during fueling??? Should we??

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-11-2007, 11:21 AM
WOW that sucks ……… :(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>And what lake would Skeeler go to? “Beaver Lake” …………thats the FIRST thing I noticed in the picture!!! LOL!!! No wonder he gets all those good photos!!!!:cool: :D

wiltok
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
OK - I'm not an expert - but I believe you are not supposed to run your blower while refueling cause it can draw fumes into the bilge. Turn it on after you re-fuel - making sure to open the engine compartment and do a quck sniff test for fumes.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I never thought about having the blower on during fueling??? Should we??
OK, you can all call me geek, nerd, paranoid, whatever, I dont care. my blower gets turned on 5 minutes before the boat is started up, and it does not shut off until the boat is on the trailer. unless we stop for a long period of time, then I just run it for 5 minutes before we start it again. I have a cousin that dam near got killed when his boat exploded because he did not use his blower. Blowers are cheap, I run mine ALL the time, period.

Maristar210
06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
OK, you can all call me geek, nerd, paranoid, whatever, I dont care. my blower gets turned on 5 minutes before the boat is started up, and it does not shut off until the boat is on the trailer. unless we stop for a long period of time, then I just run it for 5 minutes before we start it again. I have a cousin that dam near got killed when his boat exploded because he did not use his blower. Blowers are cheap, I run mine ALL the time, period.

I run mine while I am lighting the cigar only :D

JK I don't smoke, I ::firejump:

Edit:\ Geek - Nerd - Paranoid Schitzophrenic

skeeler
06-11-2007, 11:46 AM
This will help.
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/7929812.html

jkski
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
First let me say that I hope no one was injured during this mishap. Second let me add that I hope no MC's were injured. Third let me say that there is now an opportunity to sell a lot of new MC's on that lake.
Again, hope no one was hurt.

KnoxX2
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Good point...........I run my blower all the time.:)

TX.X-30 fan
06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I turn on my blower once in a while out on the boat but never seems to help much with all the little ones around. :D :D ;)

Jkelly
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I turn mine on before I start the boat and when I am Surfing.

jsc0324
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Seems like it is a good idea to open the motor box prior to starting, especially after you have "sat" a bit. Is this a good idea? Does opening the motor box make the blower less effective?

Wow, I've heard of this happening, but never seen it. Luck nobody was killed.

Jerseydave
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I turn on my blower once in a while out on the boat but never seems to help much with all the little ones around. :D :D ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

A least you can get yours turned on!

fintek9
06-11-2007, 01:21 PM
that was one of my "WINTER GREMLINS" this year, it was freeking me out, sometimes it would work, the next minute it would'nt...found the prob this weekend, some how it got unhooked at the switch? all is good now,

trickskier
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
This is what the Coast Guard recommends when refueling:

Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats

Fueling Precautions

Most fires and explosions happen during or after fueling. To prevent an accident follow these rules:

Portable tanks should be refueled ashore.
Close all hatches and other openings before fueling.
Extinguish all smoking materials.
Turn off engines, all electrical equipment, radios, stoves and other appliances.
Remove all passengers.
Keep the fill nozzle in contact with the tank and wipe up any spilled fuel.
Open all ports, hatches and doors to ventilate.
Run the blower for at least four minutes.
Check the bilges for fuel vapors before starting the engine.
Do the "sniff test". Sniff around to make sure there is no odor of gasoline anywhere in the boat.

Do not start the engine until all traces of fuel vapors are eliminated!!

Fuel Management

Practice the "One-Third Rule" by using:

One-third of the fuel going out
One-third to get back
One-third in reserve

KnoxX2
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Good Post Trick!!!!!!!!!!!

Run Blower after fueling for 4 Min!!!!!!!

Monte
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Fuel Management

Practice the "One-Third Rule" by using:

One-third of the fuel going out
One-third to get back
One-third in reserve

Man, That tip would have come in handy at CSM8p ;) :D

Chicago190
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Seems like it is a good idea to open the motor box prior to starting, especially after you have "sat" a bit. Is this a good idea? Does opening the motor box make the blower less effective?

Wow, I've heard of this happening, but never seen it. Luck nobody was killed.

When i start the boat I usually turn the blower on, open the engine cover, let it sit for 1-2 mins, then start it up and check for any leaks, close it up and take off. I run the blower when the boat is running just for safety.

KnoxX2
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :toast:

trickskier
06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Man, That tip would have come in handy at CSM8p ;) :D
LOL...................I knew I should have deleted that........................:rolleyes:

Dan K
06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I always run the blower before starting and open the engine box to minimize the risk of explosion. I also do not let passengers on the boat until the engine is running. If we stop in the middle of the lake for a swim, the stay out until the engine is running.

Monte
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM
LOL...................I knew I should have deleted that........................:rolleyes:

Couldn't resist;) I take it you had your reserve of a third this weekend:rolleyes:

I was there too:o