PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos fans?

Chicago190
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Try to avoid spoilers, any Sopranos fans out there? Any thoughts on the last episode? I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, but I see how the whole family theme was tied in at the end which was interesting. I guess my overall review would be it was a good episode but it really didn't leave me with any closure about the whole series. Still, in my opinion its the best show to have been on TV.

Farmer Ted
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Try to avoid spoilers, any Sopranos fans out there? Any thoughts on the last episode? I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, but I see how the whole family theme was tied in at the end which was interesting. I guess my overall review would be it was a good episode but it really didn't leave me with any closure about the whole series. Still, in my opinion its the best show to have been on TV.

what's up with the last minute of the show getting dumped?

victorff
06-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I think with an ending like that, a movie has to be on the way.

victorff
06-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I thought i hit the on/off button on the remote

tex
06-11-2007, 12:29 AM
It was a great big kick in the crotch!

victorff
06-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I wonder if Meadow would do a Mastercraft photo shoot!

Chicago190
06-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I thought i hit the on/off button on the remote

I was sitting there with 3 other guys and we thought the cable went out and we just sat in silence for 5 seconds and then the credits rolled. Without giving anything away, I guess they wanted to show that in the end it all worked out.

JKTX21
06-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Hmmm, I don't kno what I think about it just yet. I think there was a sense of urgency towards the end, for what reason I don't know. Or they just made a crappy last episode.

kjohnson
06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I loved the show too but was dissapointed with the ending. I guess I expected something else.

chudson
06-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I think with an ending like that, a movie has to be on the way.

Don't know anything about it, never watched the show but the morning guy on WGN radio (Chicago) said just like "victorff" said above and also the HBO web site went down last night with so many hits about supposed complaints.

Chicago190
06-11-2007, 09:54 AM
I read this on another forum and its pretty interesting.

"I have read a bunch of these pages WAITING for someone to remember that Tony's dad was killed at the DINNER TABLE IN A RESTAURANT IN FRONT OF HIS FAMILY WITH TONY SITTING THERE. Do you all not remember this????? The "cut to black" to me was CLEARLY Tony getting shot. The whole "do you hear it coming" thing was pushed in our faces a little too much for it to be coincidence. His family lives -- "they don't touch the family" -- it's true, we have seen it time and time again on this show.

Why was he wacked? Well, let's see -- he just wacked another boss!!! Do you think that there's no fall out from that? There's going to be a huge ripple effect from that kind of move. Also, how about any of the other people who had a grudge with him, most recently, the guy whose teeth he knocked out? How about all the people he might flip on when he was indited, which was going to be pretty soon.

Who knew they were going to be at the diner? Like some people said, Meadow and AJ -- both could have told someone who could have leaked it to the wrong person. We don't know who Carm told either, and Tony could very well have been followed. The whole show from day one was in Tony's POV and with Tony gone, of course it would cut to black. Tony is dead. We weren't able to see any blood and gore or family reaction because the point of view of our main character was gone. Sure, the point of view for the show in general, for the most part, was limited omnicient, but NEVER when Tony was in the room -- if Tony was there, you always got his perspective -- yes, the camera angles changed, but it was always his POV.

Tony is dead -- cut to black. That's all there is to it. Gandolfini said himself in an interview a few days ago that he has put Tony to bed and he's glad that he's gone. HE SAID THAT THE ENDING LEAVES NO ROOM FOR A MOVIE. Google it and read it for yourself."

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I know you said no spoilers. So if someone hasn't seen it yet, don't read my post.

Warning. Spoilers below. Don't read this post if you haven't seen it.

Thought the ending was brilliant. Meadow's inability to parallel park was great for suspense. I've read the theories on his being shot as all goes dark. I don't buy it. With Phil gone, I don't think there's anyone in the NY crew with the stones to do it. Certainly not Butchie. He's nothing without Phil to validate his psychoses.

I think it was always, and remained until the last second, a show about a guy with issues both internally and with his wife and kids who sees/saw a shrink. And that's how it ended. Mundane, but with lots of tension. The only thing I'd have liked more as an ending was if he was still seeing Melfi and if it had ended with him talking to her about the same old same old.

All that said, I do like the Tony killed theory. Would tie in well with his conversation with Bobby in the boat about "what it's like."

Loved how Phil went out, too.

I also loved Adrianna reincarnated as the cat that torments Paulie and stares at Christofah's picture 24/7.

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I was sitting there with 3 other guys and we thought the cable went out and we just sat in silence for 5 seconds and then the credits rolled. Without giving anything away, I guess they wanted to show that in the end it all worked out.

That sound was the sound of millions of people smacking the side of their TVs simultaneously because they thought the cable went out. 8p

Ryan27r
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
That sound was the sound of millions of people smacking the side of their TVs simultaneously because they thought the cable went out. 8p
Glad I'm not the only one...

tex
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
My wife loved it, I hated it-Great TV!

Ric
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I have trouble believing that was the finale.

It's been too much fun following this show through the years!

Shame on any of you who have not seen the ending... Because if you are reading this now, you are cheating ! hahah

Tony has always been the guy with all these problems who is always dealing with everyone else's problems.. Pretty funny. He's the boss.

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 03:55 PM
FWIW, that cat was the less whiney reincarnation of Adrianna.

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/homepage/season05/ep64_crew_in_office.jpg

The show ended like Tony's therapy. The hour's up. "Ding!" Stop where you are.

Then, visually, it just went dark like those looking glasses on the boardwalk. The series got hit. The audience got whacked. Tony just keeps on waking up and waddling down the driveway to get the paper.

Nobody in Tony's immediate family learned a lesson. Meadow is turning a blind eye just like Carmella continues to do. AJ gets a new car and has a job handed to him after being intolerably preachy for the last few weeks. No way Tony gets his comeupins. Just like the crappy song says, "it goes on and on and on and on."

Chicago190
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Just like the crappy song says, "it goes on and on and on and on."

I was with you until you called a song by Journey crappy. 80s forever :D

TMCNo1
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
But, has anybody shot Rosie and her life partner Kelly yet????????

Ric
06-11-2007, 04:15 PM
More More MORE, we want More!

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
I was with you until you called a song by Journey crappy. 80s forever :D

I meant it in a nice way. ;)

"...Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,(Phil?)
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on..."

Oh, and the B Side track to "Don't Stop Believin'" was "Anyway You Want It."

Brilliant.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I meant it in a nice way. ;)

"...Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,(Phil?)
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on..."

Oh, and the B Side track to "Don't Stop Believin'" was "Anyway You Want It."

Brilliant.
OK, I never got into the Sopranos as I dont watch too much TV these days, but I cant have you dissing 80's music East, it just aint right. 8p ;) Pass the doochie & safety dance your arse down the road 8p

helton333
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Meadow was struggling to get the car parked, and that played out to me for a reason - the guys in the restuarant to kill the family, were waiting for her to get there? That's the only thing I can figure out. I thought it was just too "easy" to end it that way, a cliche. Tony is an animal. The most charming, at the same time, dangerous guy on the show. Why not really push him over into the NY scene, maybe even as boss with a few of his old guys, and all of Phil's group - then Tony lives forever in our minds as a monster who kept evolving. Although the episode began that way, and I was thinking I got it right, it obviously seems they are dead. The only one I really mourn is Tony. Good riddens to AJ and the mom who loved the money but hated the hand that gave it. That's my 2 cents.

Ric
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Meadow was struggling to get the car parked, and that played out to me for a reason - the guys in the restuarant to kill the family, were waiting for her to get there? That's the only thing I can figure out. I thought it was just too "easy" to end it that way, a cliche. Tony is an animal. The most charming, at the same time, dangerous guy on the show. Why not really push him over into the NY scene, maybe even as boss with a few of his old guys, and all of Phil's group - then Tony lives forever in our minds as a monster who kept evolving. Although the episode began that way, and I was thinking I got it right, it obviously seems they are dead. The only one I really mourn is Tony. Good riddens to AJ and the mom who loved the money but hated the hand that gave it. That's my 2 cents. ooooooohhh

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
OK, I never got into the Sopranos as I dont watch too much TV these days, but I cant have you dissing 80's music East, it just aint right. 8p ;) Pass the doochie & safety dance your arse down the road 8p

Not dissing 80s music. Just that one song.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Not dissing 80s music. Just that one song.
What? you mean your dissing "Dont stop believing" ??? thats Journey's classic anthem they close their shows with. Shame on you Eastie, how can you do that??8p ;) Dont make me get out my acid washed jeans, Zebra stripe bandanas and Oakley shades man. ;) 8p

Ric
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Why did they spend the huge "final" episode on AJ, and meadow and the FBI guy messing around with another Fed in bed?
I say it aint over..

Tony killed his nephew, and his cousin, tried to off his own mom and was shot by his own uncle, but we end it with a show about aj's political theory and meadow's letdown regarding college?

Philly getting rolled over was the best part of the show.

Who's doing the pickups while all this is going on? When will they reopen the Bing? Pauly wanting to kill the cat means that pauly thinks he should have been the one to hit adriana originally. It is not ending like this...

east tx skier
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Livia was always public enemy no. 1 as far as Tony was concerned. The show was always about Tony and his biological family moreso than his other family. When Livia died, there was a bit of a shift, bringing the mob stuff out. I didn't need to see a big ending here. Another empty the clip, drop the gun, take the canoli would've been too easy.

The tension in that last scene was beautiful. Meadow not being able to parallel park was better than the guy lighting off the firecrackers in Boogie Nights as far as having me jumping in my seat. AJ gets an M3 and they won't even spring for the auto park on her car. 8p

Ric
06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
ya, hey paullie, you take care of that thing and let me know when it's done. I gotta go get tires on Carmella's car.

In alot of ways, Phillie was right about the sopranos. What did he call them again? "Pigmies from North Jersey"

chudson
06-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Non of it really matters because the special comback episode will have Tony's wife wakeing up the next morning thinking he's dead and he'll walk out of the shower and scare the billy bejeebers out of her and she'll find out that they're really a rich oil family in Texas. Or maybe he'll wake up rollover and find Susan Pleshette next to him in bed and discover the whole mob thing was just a dream and that he is really the owner of an Inn in New Hampsire along with Larry, Daryl, And Daryl or somthin along that line. It could happen!!!:rolleyes: