PDA

View Full Version : found this while cleaning out some old files

milkmania
02-10-2005, 02:40 AM
I've coached summer t-ball baseball for a few years now.....
see that big kid in the middle? that's my oldest son, I coached him for 7 years.
as you look at this picture, keep in mind that ONLY 4 people in this picture are not related, and I had 2 sisters not pictured

this team finished their season 16-1...the only team we could not beat during season play was a team that was made up of ALL 6 year old boys, playing together for the last 3 years!!! we did manage to beat them one game in the end of season tournament.

http://www.writeonrice.com/brian/team2004.jpg

if you ever get the chance, go out and volunteer for a summer ball team... you'll never be happier:)

ps. we looked rough after a 4 game tournament day:purplaugh

milkmania
02-10-2005, 02:44 AM
forgot to mention.....I'm the one in the yellow shirt:uglyhamme

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 04:01 AM
Mikmania

I am the player agent for the entire league in my city. 65 teams, over 700 kids..... and I get to be responsible for them all.

We apparently do things very differently. We don't even keep score in that age group, or even the one above it, because we want to focus on teaching skills rather than trying to win. Also, we re draft our teams every year, so you don't have any dynasty type teams.... Just another way of doing things I guess

But it is great being out with the kids, I love the evening games when you can just go down to the fields and watch the kids playing and having fun.

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 04:05 AM
Oh yeah,

This is our 12 year old all star team at the Zone tournament in Maui. The were the best team in all of Northern California. My younger son is the one in the front row on the left :smile:

milkmania
02-10-2005, 04:19 AM
in our county league, we had 17 teams total...some of the larger towns in our county had enough kids within their towns to play themselves.

you gotta realize I can name all 7 stoplights in a 45 mile radius... and my town hasn't got any of them....lol

we've kept score as long as I've been involved with this league, I've been in and out of it for approx. 15 years, and they kept score before I got here.

I don't think much about it anymore, but I really enjoy taking a bunch of 4, 5, & 6 year old boys and girls and beating a 3rd year hand picked all boys team.
the reason I enjoy it??? because I've proven to my team that with hard work, they can overcome.
we live in such a rural area, we have to travel up to 30 miles one way to make 90% of our games... we have to accomidate a lot of families with kids only a year apart in age. we have a lot of cousins, brothers & sisters on the team because of the travel problems.
personally, I don't like the liability of driving kids (other than family) to games. but in extreme cases I will.

:)

milkmania
02-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Oh yeah,

This is our 12 year old all star team at the Zone tournament in Maui. The were the best team in all of Northern California. My younger son is the one in the front row on the left :smile:

good stuff:headbang:

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 05:07 AM
in our county league, we had 17 teams total...some of the larger towns in our county had enough kids within their towns to play themselves.
you gotta realize I can name all 7 stoplights in a 45 mile radius... and my town hasn't got any of them....lol

:)

Sounds like you live in the area my dad was born in. He was from a little town called Clayton, OK. I think it is still less than 400 people.

Professor
02-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Brian & Gregg,
That is good stuff! Brian, I could not quite read the name on the jerseys...was it "Stingers" and ____ ? Is it a business? Sounds as if you live in a nice location. One population poll I use asks the question "where do you prefer to live"? I was going to attach the powerpoint slide but HOW? Anyway, it surprises some to read the results (aprox.):
Town 33%
Suburb 24%
Farm 22%
City 18%
na 3%

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Brian & Gregg,
That is good stuff! Brian, I could not quite read the name on the jerseys...was it "Stingers" and ____ ? Is it a business? Sounds as if you live in a nice location. One population poll I use asks the question "where do you prefer to live"? I was going to attach the powerpoint slide but HOW? Anyway, it surprises some to read the results (aprox.):
Town 33%
Suburb 24%
Farm 22%
City 18%
na 3%

Where I currently live is a bedroom community of San Jose, we are just south, but worlds away. There is restricted growth, and the city council wouldn't even approve a new in and out burger joint, because they didn't want a fast food resturant at the gate way of the city. We even still have a 4th of July parade....

As for the power point slide, it says you can post pdf's, so if you can convert to that, you can post it, if not, send it to me, and I can convert.

Professor
02-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Pdf, I will try that next time - Thanks. Growth...yea, GA has five out of th top ten fastest growning counties in the nation.

milkmania
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
it can be uploaded to a server like this.......
http://www.writeonrice.com/brian/cameron.ppt

MasterMAson, pay close attention to the picture named John & Chance Long....

John was the superintendent at Clayton Shcool for the last five years or so...

he may have only been principal, not sure....but Chance is one of the ball players pictured in the team pic.

ps, the powerpoint I uploaded is VERY crude, to make the point:)

Professor
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh, so just upload it like a pic. THANKS! Hey, not that the info was that important. I just found it interesting that even though over 80% of our population lives in an urban area that most people preferred to live outside the city.

milkmania
02-10-2005, 03:13 PM
not sure if it will upload to tmcowners discussion board....

I just uploaded mine to a server that a friend has, then gave the link.

but I will try it with this manager also.

edit: nope, didn't like it:(

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow,

If you live that close, you probably know some of my relatives.... My dad had aunts and uncles that remained in Clayton. He had one aunt that lived to almost 100 and she was in her late 80's before she would let her kids put running water in her house, never would let them put an indoor bathroom in though, because that wasn't the sort of thing one should do in their house...

My last name is Hall, I am sure there are some of us still there, although I never met most of them.

milkmania
02-10-2005, 03:40 PM
MasterMason,

Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes Total Est. Distance: 74.14 miles

From Cameron to Clayton

I'm right on the OK/Ark state line....bout 8 miles away

http://www.writeonrice.com/brian/map.gif

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Here are a few pictures of the town

MasterMason
02-10-2005, 09:15 PM