PDA

View Full Version : sucking gas - 03 197

phecksel
06-07-2007, 10:39 PM
This is not my year for water stuff :(

First wasted a bunch of time on the smoker, not getting any boat time... and now, the first time I even really take the boat out, it sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. Still have last years gas in the boat, and I was loaded much more they usual, and was running a bit heavy on the throttle, but not even skiing, and used up 1/2 tank of gas. Thought I smelled gas at one point, but popped the hood, no leaks, no smell. Lifted the back floor enough to sniff, and no gas leaking out there. I've never seen over winter gas perform that badly. Anything I should be looking for? Top speed was a bit slow, but considering how much wt I was carrying, not surprised.

vogelm1
06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Any idea how many gallons per hour you're burning? IIRC my 2005 197 sucks around 6-7 gph with a combination of slalom skiing and wakeboarding. The price of gas REALLY makes it seem much more too. :rolleyes:

vogelm1
06-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Maybe lost some octane over the winter too?? I'm sure that would cause the computer to adjust timing, etc and maybe consume :confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Drop it off over here tomorrow (friday) say about 4:00PM with a full tank, you can pick it back up Sunday about 9:00PM, and I'll let you know how long it took me to use the tank of fuel, and that may help determine if there is a problem or not...I'd guess not, but I am willing to try this method if you are.:D

rodltg2
06-07-2007, 11:57 PM
do you have the lq9?? mine would somke 2 tanks a day when using it alot.

jkski
06-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Just an observation:
Like many others on here, I've been running PS197's for several years, and the one thing I have found is that once you hit 35-36mph and above, your fuel economy drops considerably. 34mph and below it is a different animal all together, but the fuel line seems to double in size above that. I have run the 310hp and the 350hp, and both seem to be about the same.
Another thing you might consider is that it is possible for the gas gauge to reading incorrectly, which would lead you to believe that you had a full tank, when you actually did not.
Good luck.

G-man
06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I would be glad the old gas was gone. The fresher gas should burn better and not clog anything up.

3event
06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Maybe a stupid simple suggestions, but what about the gauge. I had the boat winterized close to E, and the gauge went to F with about 7 gallons on first fill up this year. It has never been accurate, but this is worse. A few runs, 6 gals more in, more runs, reads E. Put in 12 gallons, goes all the way to F.

I keep a few 6gal full on hand normally, so I just deal with this problem. But I think I am going to have to check it out.

jkski
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Maybe a stupid simple suggestions, but what about the gauge. I had the boat winterized close to E, and the gauge went to F with about 7 gallons on first fill up this year. It has never been accurate, but this is worse. A few runs, 6 gals more in, more runs, reads E. Put in 12 gallons, goes all the way to F.

I keep a few 6gal full on hand normally, so I just deal with this problem. But I think I am going to have to check it out.

It could be your fueld sending unit on top of the tank. There are adjustment screws on it, however, I have not personally made the adjustment, so you might want to speak with your dealer prior to doing anything.

phecksel
06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Sending unit was replaced in the first year, and has been moderately accurate since then. It indicated 1/2 tank which seems really low, because I could have sworn it was filled last fall. I burned nearly 3/8 tank {on the gage} driving to the ski site. Did a visual check there, and it appeared to be between 1/8 & 1/4 full. Drove home at 30mph, and the gage was showing E when I got home.

My plan is to dump all my gas cans into the car, get some nice new gas, also throw in a can of injector cleaner that i've had good success with and see if it makes a diff.

It takes about 15 minutes to get to the ski site and 1/4 to 3/8 tank at nearly full throttle seems like an excessive fuel burn.

Hunterb
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I find these boats not too bad on fuel unless you are going fast or are heavily loaded, which is sounds like you were. I find the difference between slaloming at 34 (my top speed) and wakeboarding is huge. I wouldn't be surprised to burn a 1/4 tank in 20 minutes with a full load and nearly full throttle. You may find it improves some with new fuel. At the moment in western Canada boat gas is about $1.15 a litre which is $4.34 for a U.S. Gallon and the Canadian dollar is almost on par with the U.S. $ (94 cents) so we tend to pay attention to fuel consumption and I don't do a lot of heavy boat/heavy throttle driving.

Good luck anyway, hopefully some fresh gas will help out.

Bruce

jkski
06-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Try backing your speed down from full throttle to 34mph when going to your ski spot, and I bet you'll see a difference.
I know when we take a morning just to do some footin', I'll easily burn through a tank of gas in about 2 hours.
It's an expensive HABIT...I mean HOBBY!

phecksel
06-10-2007, 08:10 AM
problem identified...

There was a mfg defect in the injector assembly, which lead to a crack. Ran up to the dealer, and they didn't have a new part, but they had a used carb sitting on the shelf with unknown problems. Told me to take it and use what ever parts I could off it.... It had a bad gasket, so I got this ingenious idea to take the gasket off mine and use it on their good part. That didn't work so hot. They are going to talk to Mastercraft on Monday and see if they will overnight drop ship to me. At the worst, I have to run up their Wednesday and pick up a boat for our parade.

Smoker is in the shop, trying to undue whatever I did. Boat is out of commission. SWMBO talked me into buying another smoker for my spoiled brats, and that's getting a pre buy inspection. This is going to be a very expensive week :( And the weather is the best it's been all year :mad:

But, my dealer gave me one of those big MasterCraft banners, and two Nascar style flag banners :)

And I finally got the safety railing on top of the boat house tightened enough to make me comfortable

theDano
06-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I too have noticed my boat sucking more gas....so here is what I attribute it to:

1) Since gas prices are very high I really seem to notice it way more than last year. So now I am really paying attention. Had the gas prices been where they were last year or even lower, this thread wouldn't even be here :)

2) Somebody posted not to WTO all the way to your ski spot....BING! That has really helped. I have noticed that if I keep it around 30-32 cruising around then gas consumption is manageable.

3) Always helps to have very considerate people who you pull to not think twice to dish out some cash without you having to ask. Makes it that much more enjoyable to invite them back and not have to except their generous donation from time to time as well.

Kummer
06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
try seafoam Should do the trick. I am sure you have but new / clean air filter can help alot too.

Andyg
06-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Today was the first day that I actually had the new boat out all day skiing and I was pleasantly surprised with how much gas we used. I am running the LY6 in my 2007 197. We put 6.4 hrs on the boat today and it was almost entirely slalom skiing and barefoot runs. The tank was full when I started and I am down to about a 1/4 tank. Lots of WOT runs for the barefooting and we ended up using about 23 gallons of gas. So I guess that comes out to about 3.5 gallons per hour.