PDA

View Full Version : Very Stiff Steering

rpliska
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a 2001 ProStar 209. The steering seems to be getting harder and harder to turn...to the point where it takes two hands and a lot of effort to turn around.

I have heard that I may need to replace the steering cable, or that I could just need to grease it. If I were to try to grease the cable where are the grease fittings? Is there anything else I can try? Is there any point in messing with it, or should I just replace the cable?

Thanks

TMCNo1
06-07-2007, 11:48 PM
If you don't have a owners manual, you can go to www.mastercraft.com, knowledge center, owners manual and find the zerk locations in about anyone of them. Look in year 2000, page 55.

etakk7
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
if you haven't greased it, that is probably why it got the way it is

I would grease it before replacing. On a direct drive, I believe it is under the rear seat somewhere, near the rudder.

TMCNo1
06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
While you are at it, please read this thread on the Zerk fittings!
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16770&highlight=zerk

TMCNo1
06-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Good luck and if youhave questions feel free to ask!

erkoehler
06-08-2007, 01:04 AM
If it is already stiff, there is no saving it......you need a new steering cable.

Sorry for the bad news, but its the truth :)

slink976
06-08-2007, 01:57 AM
water in the cable line! I took mine into the mech. due to all the hours that it takes to fix. (my time plus knuckles = pay them on this one.) Sorry mate but i had my boat back in a day and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! cost was a little steep but like i said had it back in a day. Had I of done it, it would have easily been 4! good luck

88 PS190
06-08-2007, 04:00 AM
that is definately a maintainence item... grease fittings.

I don't suppose you do alot of power turns do you?

blackcreek
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
The steering on my 97 205 was stiff but cleared right up after greasing the cable and the rudder shaft. The zerk on the top of the rudder shaft was rusted shut so I guess the previous owner never serviced it. I had to unbolt the rudder zerk and soak it in parts cleaner to free it up. Works great now.

rpliska
06-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I tried greaseing everything...it did not help at all. One thing I did notice, when I was squeezing grease into the rudder shaft grease fitting, it was very hard to squeeze the grease gun handle. I doubt whether or not any grease actually got into the fitting. Is this sign of something wrong in the rudder shaft? I will take the fitting off tonight and clean it, but if I do that and then greasae again, and still there is no improvement, do I have to replace the cable?

I don't understand why a cable would fail. What about having and old cable will make the steering stiff? The calbe seems like the last thing that would go. How Do I know that I don't have a problem in the rudder seal/shaft or in the linkage in front of the rudder or in the rack at the steering wheel?

TMCNo1
06-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I tried greaseing everything...it did not help at all. One thing I did notice, when I was squeezing grease into the rudder shaft grease fitting, it was very hard to squeeze the grease gun handle. I doubt whether or not any grease actually got into the fitting. Is this sign of something wrong in the rudder shaft? I will take the fitting off tonight and clean it, but if I do that and then greasae again, and still there is no improvement, do I have to replace the cable?

I don't understand why a cable would fail. What about having and old cable will make the steering stiff? The calbe seems like the last thing that would go. How Do I know that I don't have a problem in the rudder seal/shaft or in the linkage in front of the rudder or in the rack at the steering wheel?

The fitting on the rudder port only allows enough grease to fill in between the (2) O-rings, (1) @ the top and (1) @ the bottom to lube it and help seal water out. Maybe only 1/2 to 1 squeeze is all it will take.
As far as the cable going bad, if anytime water has been allowed to set in the bilge or if the boat runs with any amount of water in the bilge that the pump did not remove, that water sloshing around in the rear portion of the bilge can enter, corrode and ruin a cable over the years.

rpliska
06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
And is the cable being corroded the most common sorce of stiff steering? Not the other components?

If so, does anyone have a detailed description of how to replace the cable? I would like to get it done by my dealer, but they cannot get it in for another month, so it looks like I am on my own.

TMCNo1
06-10-2007, 09:43 AM
And is the cable being corroded the most common sorce of stiff steering? Not the other components?

If so, does anyone have a detailed description of how to replace the cable? I would like to get it done by my dealer, but they cannot get it in for another month, so it looks like I am on my own.

Disconnect on both ends, tie a cord, ski rope or some type of strong pull string on one end (your choice), and pull it out leaving the rope in it's place, then reconnect new cable and pull it in with the rope and reconnect. That's the simple/short version, someone may have a better way.

rpliska
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
OK. I got the old cable out, thanks for the tip with tying on a pull string.
My dealership is closed here today, but when I get a new cable, will it come with everything or do I have to order the steering rack and rudder connection seperately?

Is there a place to order parts online? My dealership takes forever to get anything.

TMCNo1
06-10-2007, 04:53 PM
OK. I got the old cable out, thanks for the tip with tying on a pull string.
My dealership is closed here today, but when I get a new cable, will it come with everything or do I have to order the steering rack and rudder connection seperately?

Is there a place to order parts online? My dealership takes forever to get anything.

You probably only need the cable assembly as that is what is binding up, no need for a steering box or rudder assembly, unless the cable doesn't do the job. You can go to www.mymc.com, Jim@ BAWS or Eric (Erkoehler) @ Chicago Mastercraft or go to www.skidim.com or tomorrow, call them @ 1-803-345-0996 and talk to Richard or Vince. I would talk to them first to sure and eliminate any guesswork online.

coreman
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know where the fittings are located on a 2003 X2? I am having this same problem and checked the manuals online, but could not find the information. Thanks

TMCNo1
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know where the fittings are located on a 2003 X2? I am having this same problem and checked the manuals online, but could not find the information. Thanks

Did you read post #2? The setup is typical for all boats.

johno
07-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I was wondering if you ever resolved the issue and if so, what fixed it? I am having same issue on my 89 Maristar 240. I have replaced cable but still hard to steer under power. I have greased all fittings I can find.

TMCNo1
07-28-2007, 09:43 AM

That rudder shaft/rudder port will take very little grease, because there is very little clearance between the shaft and the hole and there is a o-ring each side of the zerk fitting.

Maple Leaf
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I've got the same problem with my '03 PS209. I greased the three fittings and it loosened things up a bit, but it still requires two handed steering. I confirmed it's the cable by disconnecting the rudder arm and found it just as stiff as when it was connected. I really got ticked when I tried my buddies '04 Nautique and could spin it with one finger.:mad:

It seems like there are too many OEM cables failing too soon. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket cable that lasts longer?

Jorski
08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
**It seems like there are too many OEM cables failing too soon. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket cable that lasts longer?**

I don't think they are failing as much as they are not being maintained until it is too late. I have 1993 190 with the original steering cable, that I too "spin with one finger" . If water gets in there, and there is not enough grease in place it will corrode if it sits for a while.

Back in the day, I had a Hydrostream outboard at one time, and it locked up after winter storage. Those things didn't even have a zerk fitting to get any marine grease in there. Apparently too much grease can cause it to lock up hydraulically, and that has also been a common problem out there with these types of cables.

The only real answer is a hydraulic set up, but that is a ton of overkill when you are only turning a rudder (as opposed to a monster outboard engine).

Maple Leaf
08-14-2007, 11:43 PM
You could be right Jorski. This is my first season with the boat so I can't speak to how well it was maintained its first three seasons.

That said, my old outboard worked perfectly, maintenance free, for 25 years. This is why I'm wondering if perhaps there's a better alternative to the OEM cable.

Regardless of what I end up installing, it will be maintained!

Maple Leaf
08-14-2007, 11:46 PM
You could be right Jorski. This is my first season with the boat so I can't speak to how well it was maintained its first three seasons.

That said, my old outboard worked perfectly, maintenance free, for 25 years. This is why I'm wondering if perhaps there's a better alternative to the OEM cable.

Regardless of what I end up installing, it will be maintained!

plasticbaldy
01-13-2012, 01:17 AM
My steering is also very stiff both turning and straightening but only when under way. When stationery the steering is normal. I replaced the steering cable last year and I think it has stiffened since. Do you think that it's a lack of grease problem ?

By the way - registration question - Since when is the front of a boat NOT called the bow ? ? Or Stem ? Duuuuuuuh ! ! ! What is the correct answer they wanted here ?

mikeg205
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Is the rudder assembly lubed?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
My steering is also very stiff both turning and straightening but only when under way. When stationery the steering is normal. I replaced the steering cable last year and I think it has stiffened since. Do you think that it's a lack of grease problem ?

By the way - registration question - Since when is the front of a boat NOT called the bow ? ? Or Stem ? Duuuuuuuh ! ! ! What is the correct answer they wanted here ?

Pointy end??? :rolleyes:

It wouldn't take bow as the correct answer?

mikeg205
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Pointy end??? :rolleyes:

It wouldn't take bow as the correct answer?

ROTFL :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

maybe you should send this picture...

EricB
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Is that a "Mali-bouy"?

Jorski
01-13-2012, 04:07 PM

That will have to do with the way that the rudder has bee ground for pre-load.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-31286.html

mikeg205
01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Is that a "Mali-bouy"?

old ski -supreme... on lookers say that the boat chine-locked and submarined.... soooo asupreme-bouy

GT500 MC
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
old ski -supreme... on lookers say that the boat chine-locked and submarined.... soooo asupreme-bouy

What's chine-locked?

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
NO. I was surprised. Tried bow 3 times & was refused. I thought you Yanks might have some other unfamiliar word so I tried Wikipedia & Google & it gave me bow, prow & stem. Finally the website took pity on my ignorance & let me join anyhow. Maybe I should have prefaced it with 'good-old . . . .'

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I doubt it because it's stiff both turning into and out of turns. I best try some grease maybe.

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
You're hilarious. That's brilliant !

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Is the rudder assembly lubed?

Hmmmmmmmm. I'd best get in there with the grease gun by the sound of it. I only run in fresh water. How often should I lube ? - the rudder & cable, that is. lol:cool:

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
ROTFL :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

maybe you should send this picture...

You're hilarious. That's brilliant !
:)

plasticbaldy
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
That will have to do with the way that the rudder has bee ground for pre-load.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-31286.html

I doubt it because it's stiff both turning into and out of turns. I best try some grease maybe.

Jerseydave
01-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Grease the cable and the rudder too if possible. This should be done every year. Fresh water use can corrode your steering cable too.

The thrust of the water going past the rudder could make it steer harder...maybe if the rudder is bent? Usually if the boat steers fine on the trailer it will steer fine in the water.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
NO. I was surprised. Tried bow 3 times & was refused. I thought you Yanks might have some other unfamiliar word so I tried Wikipedia & Google & it gave me bow, prow & stem. Finally the website took pity on my ignorance & let me join anyhow. Maybe I should have prefaced it with 'good-old . . . .'

Congrats on beating the system and welcome aboard.

psychobilly
01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
I am not looking forward to doing this when I get home.... It's gunna be a nightmare! 240SCs have a lot to remove to get back there but I need to get it done... Prolly gunna replace the blower hose while I'm in there.... drats.....

plasticbaldy
01-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Me too. I best replace the blower while I'm lubing.
Sounds like the married life I abandoned. lol

plasticbaldy
01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I am not looking forward to doing this when I get home.... It's gunna be a nightmare! 240SCs have a lot to remove to get back there but I need to get it done... Prolly gunna replace the blower hose while I'm in there.... drats.....

plasticbaldy
01-19-2012, 08:03 PM
So why doesn't my profile picture appear ?
Is the site still pouting about 'bow' ? lol

mikeg205
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM

oh my....talk about the ultimate double entendre....8p8p8p:D:D:D sorry for taking it into the gutter... could not resist...

plasticbaldy
01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Well we greased the cable which is only 1 season old but the rudder nipple resisted greasing. Not sure if it took any at all. Steering is still stiff. I'll try replacing the rudder nipple & greasing that again.
Any other ideas ?

tonyvisone
05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Hey all,

Just joined. I see this thread is old but hopefully i can get some responses here.

I have an 02 pro star 197. Original owner. Boat has always been babied. No water to my knowledge has ever sat inside. always kept on a lift or under a roof.

My steering is so hard right now it takes two hands. i went to grease the back like i read in this thread, but there were no fittings. i grease it as shown below but it helped minimally.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/tonyvisone/IMG_2220_zps6c149e3f.jpg (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/tonyvisone/media/IMG_2220_zps6c149e3f.jpg.html)
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/tonyvisone/IMG_2222_zpsee0f2107.jpg (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/tonyvisone/media/IMG_2222_zpsee0f2107.jpg.html)

Jorski
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
sounds like it's time for a new cable

trunderw
05-07-2013, 12:30 AM
On my old 190 I had to use a grease gun with the zerk fitting and I didn't have grease laying around as much as you have in your pic. Did you put grease on by hand or did you use a grease gun?

ProstarMC
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
we had the same problem on our 01 190 and the cable gets worn out over time. We replaced it and it went back to normal.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Cable replacement is pretty simple and once repaired, you will never let it get bad again.

One finger steering is where it's at. :steering::woohoo:

tonyvisone
05-07-2013, 12:07 PM
On my old 190 I had to use a grease gun with the zerk fitting and I didn't have grease laying around as much as you have in your pic. Did you put grease on by hand or did you use a grease gun?

i put in on by hand. i could not find any zerk fittings....

is there a spot to grease up by the steering wheel as well?

anybody know anywhere good for cheap quality steering cable? or a part number?

also, as far as a new cable, where would i grease it correctly as periodic maintenance? did i grease my current cable correctly? as i said, i did not see any fittings...

JerryW
05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
i put in on by hand. i could not find any zerk fittings....

is there a spot to grease up by the steering wheel as well?

anybody know anywhere good for cheap quality steering cable? or a part number?

also, as far as a new cable, where would i grease it correctly as periodic maintenance? did i grease my current cable correctly? as i said, i did not see any fittings...
On our 2002 209 / X-9 which is a similar boat, there is a bracket in the bilge where the steering or rudder cable is mounted. There is a grease fitting on it, and another on the metal tube that the cable runs through. You would probably need to pull up the access panel in the floor behind the motor box, and get down real low to see them. They are probably under the forward part of the gas tank. I've also seen grease fittings on the steering box behind the dash on some boats we've owned.

tonyvisone
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM

is there a grease fitting on mine that i was not seeing?? i didnt see any thats why i greased the way i did.

anybody have a part number, or know where to get one?

FlyHighorDie
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I just replaced mine you can check out my thread which isn't specific to the fix but I gave some details.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53412&page=2
The grease zirk is on there or fell off. I am guessing if the cable is stiff its time to replace. I paid $125 on ebay.
part number ssc13419